DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Tips on audio for toasts,speeches? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/107409-tips-audio-toasts-speeches.html)

Bruce S. Yarock November 7th, 2007 07:33 AM

Tips on audio for toasts,speeches?

I've tried several different audio set ups for budget weddings,and have settled on the following:
1-Wireless lav on the groom (works fine).
2-Hand held wireless for interviews.
3- Wireless hand held on a mic stand right in front of the dj speaker (for music and speeches).
I've also used my Edirol off of the dj's board, but that can be time consuming and one more thing to worry about.
The main problem I'm having is with the toasts and speeches. Typically, they "tombone" their mic, and it can be anywhere between 3" and three feet from their mouths( and constantly changing). I deal with these crazy, inconsitent levels in post, but it's a pain. I've thought about trying to quickly put the wireless lav on each speaker, but that could be unrealistic.
What are you guys doing in this situation?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com.

Richard Wakefield November 7th, 2007 07:45 AM

simplest and quickest solution IMO:

shotgun mic on camera 1 always pointing towards the speakers

internal mic on camera 2 picks up general laughter and background

John Moon November 7th, 2007 08:08 AM

When possible we always use our Edirol tapped into the DJ Board. Wireless mic hung near speaker. We try to use both as one will be backup to the other.
John

Steven Davis November 7th, 2007 08:49 AM

It sounds crazy, and it's not a technical solution, but I have started taking more of a role in where the toasters stand. It is something I address with the DJ, I want them to stand where my shotgun can catch them, and if I have an extra channel, I'll aim that mic at the speaker.

I always take my place close to the toasters, I'm there first and get my shotgun to them. Typically we run two cameras, so one on the toasters and one to the toasties, or is that toastees.

Bruce S. Yarock November 7th, 2007 10:22 AM

I have a shotgun on my camera, but unless you're real close, It's not that great, and still needs tweaking. Maybe I'll try to go with the edirol.
Thanks
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Jon Omiatek November 7th, 2007 11:21 AM

We use a shotgun pointed at the person giving the toasts and whenever possible we connect directly to the dj's mixer for sound via wireless. DJ Mixer is the only way to go, you get great audio that way.

Rick Steele November 7th, 2007 11:42 AM

I'll use an e604 mic on the Speaker fed through a wireless. I'll also split the mic with an iRiver for backup.

And don't get me started about using shotguns for toasts. :)

Don Bloom November 7th, 2007 02:31 PM

Kinda me too Rick. I use the E604 in front of the dj speaker and I ALWAYS use a HYPERCAROID on the camera. Much better indoors than a shotgun. The 604 gets nice lows and mids and the hyper gets the higher ranges so in post it's a fairly easy mix. Shotguns aren't really made for indoor work unless they're really close to the person talking. The HYPER DOES pickup some surrounding noise but it's fine as I want the ambient sound of the room. You know, people talking louder than the person with the mic etc. :=()
The 604 is fantastic for the dancing portion as well since it's a drum mic it can really take the pressure from the DJs speaker especially when they set their levels to about that of a 747 at takeoff! ;=0
I also tell the dj to tell the people giving the toasts to 1) stand behind the B&G chairs at the head table, that way I get them all in in a tighter shot AND more importantly I, emphasize I, tell them how to hold the mic. Some people think they can hold it at their belly button and it'll still work. UH, no!
I tell them if they don't keep the mic at chin level no one will hear them. Some don't mind that I guess.
Anyway, the 604 and hyper work great for me.
Don

Steven Davis November 7th, 2007 03:01 PM

Hey Don, are you connecting that via wireless plug?

Rick Steele November 7th, 2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 771797)
Anyway, the 604 and hyper work great for me.

Ocassionally I'll have a problem with the e604. If I position it too far over the bass it'll rumble and clip. And I run my cam audio in manual trough an XLR adapter (the Sony VX's are just too hot IMO) so I need to have the right volume to begin with.

Bruce S. Yarock November 7th, 2007 04:00 PM

Good point, Don. I just bought a used AKG blue line with a Hyper card capsule, and I've been using it on my second camera (Canon A1). I think I'll use the AKG on my H1, and put the AT 897 shotgun on the second cmera.I'd also like to find a reasonably priced cardiod capsule for the AKG.
A guy who sometime shoots with me, take board feed with his Senn g2 , and records the dj board wirelss to camera.
But regardless of how you record the toasts and speeches, if they're "tromboning", you still have to fix the levels later. That's the reason I was thinking of trying to coordinate before hand, and move a wirless lav from speaker to speaker. That may not be realistic( an asistnt would have to be quick and on his toes), but at least each speker's level would be consistent.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Don Bloom November 7th, 2007 04:56 PM

Steven, yes, I use the plugin xmitter back to the receiver on the camera.

Bruce, yes the placement has to be right with it. What I do is set it to the top speaker (not the powered bass speaker which around here a lot of the DJs are getting rid of-the're using the Mackies which send out a lot of bass) and I set it about 6 inches away from the speaker. So far it's been a great set up but yeah when the hold the mic down or trombone it it's a "I'll fix it in post" thing. That's why I talk to the bridal party when the DJ lines them up for intros and tell them how to hold the mic. Most times it works but... ;-)
Don

Steven Davis November 8th, 2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 771882)
Steven, yes, I use the plugin xmitter back to the receiver on the camera.

Bruce, yes the placement has to be right with it. What I do is set it to the top speaker (not the powered bass speaker which around here a lot of the DJs are getting rid of-the're using the Mackies which send out a lot of bass) and I set it about 6 inches away from the speaker. So far it's been a great set up but yeah when the hold the mic down or trombone it it's a "I'll fix it in post" thing. That's why I talk to the bridal party when the DJ lines them up for intros and tell them how to hold the mic. Most times it works but... ;-)
Don

Nice, I just picked up a transmitter with my new G2100 evo mic. I'll keep your idea in mind. Thanks again Don. And Don, hopefully Koby doesn't go to the Bulls.