DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   which one do you like better (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/107814-one-do-you-like-better.html)

Don Pham November 12th, 2007 08:43 PM

which one do you like better

http://take1productions.blogspot.com...-augustus.html

Art Varga November 12th, 2007 09:53 PM

My vote is for the slow version. While I did like some of the cuts in the fast version, I thought the music was too "edgy" for what seemed to be a pretty elegant wedding

Dan Shallenberger November 13th, 2007 12:55 AM

I agree... slow one. But that's also my style, so I guess I'm biased.

By the way, what was the music?

Thanks,
Dan

Simon Denny November 13th, 2007 01:07 AM

Hey Don,
Is that still the Sony PD170 cam?
It looks like a 16.9 cam to me?
I say that as the frame looks like a wide screen frame.

I could be wrong.

Slow one is better suited.

Cheers
Simon

Mike Oveson November 13th, 2007 10:45 AM

I'll echo Art's comments. While some of the cuts in the fast one were nice, for overall style I'd go with the slow one. It seems to have better editing. Many of the shots were the same, I just like the slow edit better. Feels nicer.

Michael Y Wong November 13th, 2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger (Post 774566)
I agree... slow one. But that's also my style, so I guess I'm biased.

By the way, what was the music?

Thanks,
Dan

The music is from the Transformers OST. 2007 Steve Jabronsky if my memory serves me well. Love that music score!

Tom Hardwick November 13th, 2007 11:18 AM

Yup, slow one for me too, but a lot of that is to do with the 'raucusness' of the faster music track, and the fact that you had to include slight camera wobbles to cut it on the beat.

Nice one!

Hubert Duijzer November 13th, 2007 01:05 PM

Another vote for slow.

I didn't like the 'fast' music and really loved the Steve Jabronsky piece.

Nice work!

Don Pham November 13th, 2007 04:26 PM

thanks for all of the input everyone.

Don Pham November 13th, 2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 774570)
Hey Don,
Is that still the Sony PD170 cam?
It looks like a 16.9 cam to me?
I say that as the frame looks like a wide screen frame.

I could be wrong.

Slow one is better suited.

Cheers
Simon

yup, it's from a pd170. i just cheated with the cropping. thanks for checking the clips out

Don Pham November 13th, 2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 774745)
Yup, slow one for me too, but a lot of that is to do with the 'raucusness' of the faster music track, and the fact that you had to include slight camera wobbles to cut it on the beat.

Nice one!

yes, all of the shakes and woobles were put in on perpose to give it an edgy feel.

glad you noticed the wobbles were cut to the beat. good eye!!!

Yang Wen November 13th, 2007 04:34 PM

don: great work! I noticed that you are in the 248 area code.. I used to live there and did videos part time for 3 years.. How's wedding market for you in SE MI? The Ann Arbor photographer I keep in touch with said it's not doing well as of late.

Don Pham November 13th, 2007 04:46 PM

hey yang, i'm in the waterford area if you know the area. yes michigan's economy is really bad and alot of wedding vendors are feeling it. Last i looked michigan is the worst of all the states in unemployment. fortunately for me it has not impacted my work. i've been blessed thru the years with great clients. You're in chicago right? i just got booked to do a wedding next year in Downers Grove. i think that's close to chicago.

Yang Wen November 13th, 2007 05:58 PM

Good to hear.

Grew up in Rochester and now living in Chicago for my full time gig.

Yep, Downers Grove is a suburb of Chicago

I'm actually doing a wedding in detroit for Dec and a couple more next year. I might need a second shooter for the dec 1st wedding(maybe just in the morning) because I'm renting two XLH1s. Would you be interested?

Don Pham November 14th, 2007 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 774963)
Good to hear.

Grew up in Rochester and now living in Chicago for my full time gig.

Yep, Downers Grove is a suburb of Chicago

I'm actually doing a wedding in detroit for Dec and a couple more next year. I might need a second shooter for the dec 1st wedding(maybe just in the morning) because I'm renting two XLH1s. Would you be interested?

i'm shooting that day also. if you need a camera man, i can ref some.