DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Trailer... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/108020-wedding-trailer.html)

Dawn Brennan November 15th, 2007 08:26 AM

Wedding Trailer...

Okay, so I can't believe I am doing this, but below is a link to a trailer from a recent wedding we did. After over a year of hanging out here, i figured its time... I am looking for any feedback you can give. **Taking the plunge**

www.dmbvideopgh.com/videos/BurnsideTrailer.wmv

The couple was awesome to work with and I want their video to be as awesome as they were!!! I'd say "be gentle" since this is the first video I have posted, but I appreciate honestey and constructive criticism! Thanks!!!

<edit> I forgot to add that on this particular wedding, my Senn 100 Wireless crapped out so all audio is from a camera I had on the alter </edit>

Yang Wen November 15th, 2007 10:48 AM

Hi Dawn

Liked your 1st shot of the church.

The 2nd shot - of the pumpkin and flower pot, I can do without because it felt "random" to me. Perhaps show a detail shot/rack focus on a piece of decoration inside the church instead?

You can't go wrong with shots of the bride in the mirror.

WRT to the audio at the ceremony. I can hear a very audible hummin/clicking in the background. Perhaps you can mitigate that noise by fading the audio out in between words.

The music after the ceremony starts to get too frantic/battle-ish for me (Is it from The Gladiator?). Perhaps your goal to achieve a high energy ending to it, but I think there are better music options. (The intro music for Universal studios is pretty good here.)

The shot of the couples laying in leafs was very effective. I need to try that!
You also got pretty good dancing footage esp for such a small venue.

Patrick Moreau November 15th, 2007 11:41 AM

Hi Dawn,

I think you should think of every shot in the context of what is around it. Your opening shots are great, but they are both rather slow- the next shot is a rather quick zoom straight down the church- which feels out of place.

I think you had some great shots, kept them nice and steady and exposure was good in most cases. I thikn you tried to fit too much nto the clip overall though. Having a shot of each bridesmaid starts to slow your whole story down when you could have just used half of your bride shot and slowed it down a bit. The first dance shot sped up also felt a little cheesy or cartooonish, so I might scrap that.

I think you have a lot to build on with this. I would try doing shorter edits at first with only the best moments/shots and uilding up from there.

Patrick

Michael Liebergot November 15th, 2007 11:57 AM

Dawn I agree with a lot of what Patrick said.
My main criticism would be to edit the music down to a shorter mix, and cut a lot of your multiple shots out.

With this being a trailer an not a highlight, you want to create a sense of anticipation that will want the viewer wanting more.
So show only your best shots to tell the story in a shorter time. Shots of bride getting ready were great but pick only a few of those, only 1 shot of a bridesmaid, then only use 1 shot of the bride coming down the isle, and then a kiss, then reception footage and end with a bang by cutting the clips to the beat of the music quickly (cake cutting, first dance, garter, bouquet, cermony shot, ring shot, then end with them entering for their introduction then fade to black to coming soon etc.

Another cool trick to try would be to bounce back and forth with reception shots, showing them entering after being introduced, then go to bridal prep, reception highlights (garter, bouquet etc.), ceremony, reception dancing then back to their enterance fade to black.

These are just suggestions BTW.

Dawn Brennan November 15th, 2007 03:49 PM

Thanks!

The feedback was great and I appreciate it! (feel free to keep it coming)

I did take your suggestions in to consideration. I can't change the music now, because the Bride and Groom have seen it and love it! But I did shorten it and take some stuff out.

The pan down the middle of the church was removed, as well as the hay/pumpkin shot in the beginning.

Took out all the bridesmaids coming down the asile and slowed the bride down. I shortened the whole thing and cut out a nice chunk fo the music.

Oh yeah, I took out the cheesy first dance thing too, cause I didn't care for it either.

I am working on the audio, and I think its a lot better. Thanks for pointing that out... my ears just weren't hearing that for some reason, but they are now!!! Can't do much more right now cause I have to hand the product to the bride on Saturday, but you guys gave me a lot to go on for next time. Thanks again!!!! (I'll try later to post a link of the revised version...)

Brendan McElwaine November 19th, 2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 775962)
The music after the ceremony starts to get too frantic/battle-ish for me (Is it from The Gladiator?).

I loved that part of the video and only wish my own wedding video had something like that! Can I ask what the music was?
The only part of the video I didn't like was the sped up first dance.

Dawn Brennan November 19th, 2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan McElwaine (Post 777873)
I loved that part of the video and only wish my own wedding video had something like that! Can I ask what the music was?
The only part of the video I didn't like was the sped up first dance.

Thanks Brendan... I liked it too. Not necessarily "wedding" music, but it made the Bride and Groom happy and me too!

It was "Moonlight Serenade" from Pirates of the Caibbean (I belive #9 on the soundtrack).

I actually changed it a bit... and took out the first dance part... here's the link: www.dmbvideopgh.com/videos/BurnsideTrailer1.wmv

Dennis Murphy November 19th, 2007 11:55 AM

Maybe the 'Gladiator' music is appropriate as we all know what happens to a couple after the honeymoon period is over.