DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Church Commercials and the NFL (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/110654-church-commercials-nfl.html)

Jessica Gourdine December 20th, 2007 08:22 AM

Church Commercials and the NFL

I was thinking about making an in house commercial for our church which would incorporate scenes from NFL games. Does anyone know where I could get footage from recent games and if there is a lot of red tape I'd have to go thru to use it?

Also, next football season, I want to start making myself available to high school students who would like to use recruitment videos to send to colleges. I have a pretty good idea on producing basketball recruitment vids, thanks to this forum, but is there a different way I should go about doing a football vid?

Ethan Cooper December 20th, 2007 09:38 AM

If you want to make any type of commercial/show/whatever that was going to be broadcast then by all means DO NOT USE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL.
Any NFL footage is going to be strictly copyrighted and gaining access to it will cost thousands of dollars.

Now if you're going to be making little promos that are only going to be shown in-house, then you could probably get away with recording a game and pulling the footage from that. It's still technically illegal to do so, but I doubt you'd have the FCC or NFL attorneys breathing down your neck.

Maybe Artbeats has a library of stock NFL stuff, but I've never looked into that. It's worth a shot.
www.artbeats.com

Ethan Cooper December 20th, 2007 09:42 AM

And before we start another one of these discussions about the legality of the use of copyrighted material, please understand that all I'm stating in the previous post was that you could probably get away with using NFL footage if it's in-house only.
The key phrase in the previous sentence is "get away with". I'm not arguing that it's legal, just saying I don't see them raiding your house if you do it. Just don't try to put it on TV or the internet whatever you do. Then you're asking for it.

Jason Boyette December 20th, 2007 09:47 AM

I've done a few football recruiting videos and video football games for my high school. If you have any questions I'd be more than willing to help.

Jason

Steven Davis December 20th, 2007 09:47 AM

You could contact the NFL and tell them exactly what you will be doing, telling them you would be promoting the NFL to your church and see what they say. Ya never know with these situations, but it never hurts to ask. They would probably be surprised you even asked.

Hopefully, we're talking Redskins here. :}

Ethan Cooper December 20th, 2007 09:51 AM

Steven Davis... shouldn't you be rooting for the Rams?

Steven Davis December 20th, 2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 795809)
Steven Davis... shouldn't you be rooting for the Rams?

I'm south of Washingto DC, you either root for the Redskins here or we just label you an outsider in need of deportation. :}

Jessica Gourdine December 20th, 2007 10:05 AM

Ethan,
I understand exactly what you mean. I definitely won't try to show this anywhere other than church. Just last yr they tried to ban churches from having super bowl parties, so youtube or tv would bring much more attention than what Im looking for. Thanks for the artbeats reference, I forgot about them.

Sorry Steven, not the Redskins. Regardless of the record, I must support my team and say it loud and proud; J-E-T-S! JETS JETS JETS!! But since the video would be about champions I guess my Jets wouldn't be in this commercial either; maybe next year. No Patriot comments please, they surely won't be in this video. :-)

Jason,
I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should just do highlight clips and interviews with coaches/teachers, etc, or should it be a video of maybe an entire qtr following that player. I've read somewhere that for basketball videos, it's best to show the player for an entire half opposed to just a highlight reel.

Thank you all for your help.

Mark Bournes December 20th, 2007 10:15 AM

Actually if you want NFL footage you have to contact NFL Films.

It is very expensive. I would say contact your local TV station, maybe you could work out something with them, however the NFL still owns the rights to the images, and so on.

If it's for a church NFL films may allow up to 90 seconds of free use.

We worked out something similar with the LPGA this past year.

Ethan Cooper December 20th, 2007 10:15 AM

Jets fan? OUCH. I'd rather be a Miami fan.

My football loyalties lie in the college game, so I can't make fun of your loser team too badly. Even if their quarterbacks are Chad Pembrooke Pennington IV, and some dude named Kellen. Wow, that'll strike fear into the opponents.
I think they win the Kelly Holcomb award of wimpy name excellence this year. Personally I think Chad should change his name to Rick Steele. The psychological factor alone would improve his passer rating by 20 points. Now if he can only find some arm strength somewhere.

hehe... Kellen... hehe

Jessica Gourdine December 20th, 2007 10:25 AM

Wow. That took "lol" to a new level bc you actually made me laugh out loud on that one. Rather be a Miami fan?!?! Ouch is an understatement. I'm at a loss for words.....Miami...ouch....I think I feel a tear welling up in my left eye.

Although, Rick Steele is a way cooler name than Kellen or Chad, I must admit.

I love college football too. Go West Virginia!!! Even they don't have a coach right now.

Ethan Cooper December 20th, 2007 10:43 AM

Not a good week to admit this but I'm a huge FSU fan and I think we're in a simular coaching situation as you guys. I mean there's a guy sitting in Bobby Bowden's office today, but he sure doesn't seem like the coach of the team to me. Why would they put him in a lame duck situation by pre-announcing his replacement and saying he must be gone by 2010? Dumb.

Weren't we talking about weddings or something in this forum before I sidetracked it?

Back on topic:
I think the guys who suggest that you call NFL films might have a good point. It's worth a shot.

Jason Boyette December 20th, 2007 11:05 AM

You seem to be on the right track.
Individual highlites of the player over the course of several games and an actual game film of a whole game (or at least a half).

I have interviewed the player himself and had him tell his name, school, gpa, awards, etc. in the interview. Never had the chance to interview coaches, but that is a good idea as well...but keep it short. No coach will look at stuff that is more than 5-10 minutes (except game footage).

Two players I did tapes for last year are now playing for the Naval Academy and for the University of South Carolina. They did all the hard work...I just put it on DVD!

Rick Steele December 20th, 2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica Gourdine (Post 795833)
Although, Rick Steele is a way cooler name than Kellen or Chad, I must admit.

Damn straight Jessica. I picture people named "Kellen" or "Chad" editing with sweaters tied around their necks and listening to the latest cricket scores.

:)

"Pile it on" Pats.

Jessica Gourdine December 21st, 2007 08:00 AM

Jason,

Are there any particular angles I should be shooting from, or is the standard 1 cam in the stands and one on the field (sidelines or endzone)?

Pile it on Pats? My heart is breaking.

Carl Middleton December 21st, 2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 795850)
Not a good week to admit this but I'm a huge FSU fan.

Wow.... we do exist!

Jason Boyette December 21st, 2007 09:19 AM

Definitely on the sidelines if at all possible. The closer the better. And of course one in the press box (if possible) or high up in the stands so the coaches can see the plays unfold and look for things like proper technique and how they run routes or read defenses etc.
I only go into the end zone when they are inside the 10 yard line but only sometimes. But being right at the goal line is a nice shot if you know your offensive player is likely to get the ball and run to your side!

Doug Bennett December 27th, 2007 04:53 PM

the NFL is real hard-ass about their footage. Even the TV stations that broadcast the games are strictly regulated about what footage they can use in their promos.

Jessica Gourdine December 28th, 2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Boyette (Post 795861)
I have interviewed the player himself and had him tell his name, school, gpa, awards, etc. in the interview. Never had the chance to interview coaches, but that is a good idea as well...but keep it short. No coach will look at stuff that is more than 5-10 minutes (except game footage).

So, you recommend a total of 5-10 minutes dedicated to highlights, interviews, etc. Is that the same with basketball videos also?

Jessica Gourdine December 31st, 2007 10:03 AM

What's the going rate for a recruitment video?