DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   A "Passionate" Wedding clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/115511-passionate-wedding-clip.html)

Oleg Kalyan February 22nd, 2008 05:09 PM

A "Passionate" Wedding clip

Hello, colleagues, for your viewing attention and critique another recent short 2min. clip from Moscow wedding.

I called "Passionate" for the lack of not having exact words to describe it.
All comments are appreciated,

Cheers!
http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/I_I_web.mov

Chris Harris February 22nd, 2008 05:31 PM

I love it! Passionate would be the right word to describe it. You are unquestionably a great artist.

How much coaching did it take to get it to look right? Or were they just natural all the way through?

Thanks for sharing!

Daniel Lang February 22nd, 2008 05:51 PM

That was outstanding!! I love your camera work aka...comp, rack focus, feel. NIce work

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 831079)
Hello, colleagues, for your viewing attention and critique another recent short 2min. clip from Moscow wedding.

I called "Passionate" for the lack of not having exact words to describe it.
All comments are appreciated,

Cheers!
http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/I_I_web.mov

Jacob Eichert February 22nd, 2008 08:13 PM

I'm impressed that's very good. How much work did you have to do with the couple to get them to appear so relaxed and natural?

Oleg Kalyan February 23rd, 2008 12:54 AM

Chris, Daniel, Jacob!

I appreciate the compliments!
There was no real coaching from my side, just a great deal of trust with the couple, B&G were very relaxed, also some shots are taken, caught, during the photo session.
I really enjoyed the space, and wanted to have it as a part of storytelling.

Just to add to technical part, most of the shorts are taken with the Canon H1 with x14 full manual lens, I love it! Edited in FCP.

Thanks again, Oleg.

John Moon February 23rd, 2008 12:37 PM

Oleg. Nice. I liked the wine glass shots and the use of the elevator. Very creative.

John

Oleg Kalyan February 26th, 2008 12:13 PM

John, thank you :) played around those wine glasses...

I did some color correction, updated clip:

http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/IrinaIgor2008.mov

Same in Flash:
http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/IrinaIgor2008.flv

Also wanted to mention, I develop a music video, movie trailer approach to represent a wedding, do you think it has a value?

John Moon February 26th, 2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 833400)
John, thank you :) played around those wine glasses...

I did some color correction, updated clip:

http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/IrinaIgor2008.mov

Same in Flash:
http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/IrinaIgor2008.flv

Also wanted to mention, I develop a music video, movie trailer approach to represent a wedding, do you think it has a value?

Nice colors Oleg. Regarding your question...are you in the process of working on a project that is like a music video and a movie trailer at the same time? I think anything you can do to set your work apart is a good thing and people are drawn to something that is a little different, within reason, and that does have a lot of value...in my opinion.

If that is not your question let me know.

Thanks
John

Oleg Kalyan February 27th, 2008 05:48 AM

John, thank you,

My question was: in a general way approaching a wedding and making a video/film of the event, how far can we be carried away by our artistic freedom, are there any "genre" limitations?

Of course we have to agree with the clients, B&G, so that the vision that we have would correspond their perception.

often the B&G give me complete freedom in filming and editing, that also brings responsibility and questioning...

John Moon February 27th, 2008 04:29 PM

Oleg...now I understand. Well I think that people pick you because of your artistic demonstration. What we do is so subjective based upon an individuals taste. If the client trusts you and gives you artistic freedom then I say go with your gut. They have seen your work and like it so I would go for it. If it is far off of what you normally do, I would collaborate with the client and just tell them what your vision is. We have done that before and they get excited as you describe it.

As long as you lean on your composition of shots and using what is in the frame and negative space and less on noticeable transitions and funky effects your work will remain relatively timeless. I think you work is very good.

Maybe see you in the States sometime at one of the video workshops? Love to meet you.

Dotun Adesida February 28th, 2008 03:03 AM

It took me quite a long time to finish watching this clip. My viewing was punctuated by so many "how did he do that?" and rewinds. (Pardon me, I'm a newbie in videography).
Seen some of your other works though and I think you are simply brilliant.

Question: Did you actually use just one camera? Were you working alone? How many takes did you get of each shot on the average?

Oleg Kalyan February 29th, 2008 12:44 AM

Dotun, I appreciate your compliments,

I shot this piece 95% myself (Canon H1 with full manual x14 lens), there a couple of shots taken by my assistant (Canon A1). This part was filmed in about 1 hour period, I have to compliment the couple, they were very supportive, and great thing relaxed and not afraid to show their feelings!

Cheers!

David Hadden February 29th, 2008 03:42 AM

I liked it very much, as I watched it I thought it looked like it could have been some kind of CK commercial at times.

My only comment is that I might have done something to soften the brides shots where it was close up etc..., as especially with HD, her lines and such were unflattering in the close stuff, but I'm not saying to apply the defacto glow that everyone uses ( and it often looks nice ). Just something that will drop the skin detail a bit ( may need to experiment with cam settings to get this done ).

Looked VERY good.

Dave

Oleg Kalyan March 1st, 2008 04:33 PM

John, thank you, I'd look forward to visit the US sometime, when I have a little break, it'd be great to communicate in person. I go mostly to LA when I am in the States, do you plan to go to any particular wedding/camera workshops this year?

David, thank you for kind words, CK commercials were great, I got inspired by some...Yes, have do some more precise work to make faces impeccable.

Regards, Oleg.

Ken Diewert March 2nd, 2008 02:49 AM

Oleg,

That is some great work! Very beautiful.

I normally don't like to do weddings because, well because of a lot of reasons, but I've got a couple booked this year, and your work just gave me some great inspiration.

Most people won't pay for what a wedding video is really worth. I mean seriously, hanging around for 10 hours or more, with one or two cams, capturing all that footage, spend another 10-15 hours editing it down to an hour or so... and they expect you to do it for $1000. Meanwhile, some photogs charge 2 or 3000 and more and deliver maybe 50 photos. They can charge that because their work is considered more artistic than video.

Why not show up for couple of hours, shoot some art, and set it to one of their wedding songs.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Oleg Kalyan March 2nd, 2008 03:17 PM

Ken, thanks again!

Yes, on a Russian wedding forum I asked a question, for what service bridal clients should pay more?
Photography is more common and more in demand, and overall photographers make more money than us videographers,
however, everyone knows that commercials and film command much higher budgets, no one questions that? Is there a paradox?

I would love to elevate the level of wedding videography so we are paid at the same or higher level, I really think we deserve it!

Cheers, Oleg!

John Moon March 2nd, 2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 835888)
John, thank you, I'd look forward to visit the US sometime, when I have a little break, it'd be great to communicate in person. I go mostly to LA when I am in the States, do you plan to go to any particular wedding/camera workshops this year?

David, thank you for kind words, CK commercials were great, I got inspired by some...Yes, have do some more precise work to make faces impeccable.

Regards, Oleg.

Oleg:

We will be attending the Re:frame08 in New Orleans in October. I think there are still some slots open. Would be great to have you.

John

Oleg Kalyan March 3rd, 2008 05:50 PM

John, thank you for telling me about New Orleans Re:frame08!
I checked out the site and the seminar sounds really exciting!

Great speakers, collegues, I saw you on the picture as well : )
However, it's quite far in advance for me to plan, and unfortunately impossible considering very tight working schedule. I really regret : (
I will pay a close attention at the site, will stay in touch!