DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Ever Heard of Eventective? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/119497-ever-heard-eventective.html)

Jason Robinson April 15th, 2008 04:43 PM

Ever Heard of Eventective?

Just got a "referral" from this site. You click their "yes I want to know more" link and it goes to a credit card payment form and wants to charge $2.50 for the lead.

I have used a fee based referral system before (spent $20 in fees) and got ZERO leads and barely any click throughs, so I am liable to think these are just scams. Besides... $2 just for a lead is pretty stiff (in my opinion).

So has anyone heard of them? The search function reveals nothing on DVInfo.net. I should mention that I don't even remember signing up for an account there, but I did a dozen or more of those sort of "link farm" sites a year or so ago so it is entirely likely that I did.

Chris Harris April 15th, 2008 11:02 PM

It doesn't sound any good to me. Why not use something either free, like Craigslist, or tried and true, like the yellow pages?

Travis Cossel April 15th, 2008 11:10 PM

Jason, I got the same lead, but I'm already booked for that date so I just clicked "No Thanks".

Jason Robinson April 15th, 2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harris (Post 861375)
It doesn't sound any good to me. Why not use something either free, like Craigslist, or tried and true, like the yellow pages?

The problem with yellow pages is that we have three separate competing yellow pages and none of them have a good enough lock to call them dominant. Each wants $20 / month just for a single line entry and about $100/month for a 3 line block. That is at a minimum $720 / yr. That just does not cut it.

I also do not like dealing with clients that are not technologically savvy enough to use the internet and do their searching there. Frankly, that is a sign that I am going to have a lot more "hand holding" of the client and that just causes problems and headaches. I'd rather spend my advertising dollars online or on targeted local publications.

Bill Busby April 16th, 2008 06:25 AM

I can't even recall the last time I used a phonebook or yellow pages for that matter for anything. It's surprising any of them are still in biz. Gotta be at least 10+ years ago, easy.

Waldemar Winkler April 16th, 2008 06:29 PM

Personally, I think they are a waste of time and money. I did something similar with a site called WedPlan. Got plenty of emails regarding interest in my services, but had to pay a dollar or two for contact info, so I set up an account with $15. That was over two years ago. Every contact I chose to follow was not only a dead end, but obviously a fabricated hoax. I haven't received any notifications in over a year, and still have a "credit" or around $9 for unused links.

Waldemar Winkler April 16th, 2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 861509)
I can't even recall the last time I used a phonebook or yellow pages for that matter for anything. It's surprising any of them are still in biz. Gotta be at least 10+ years ago, easy.

Guess that depends upon where you are located. I typically make three times the advertising cost annually. It is a small percentage of my annual income, but clearly income I wouldn't get any other way. I use yellow pages two or three times a week to find information.