DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DVD covers... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/119966-dvd-covers.html)

Stephen J. Williams April 22nd, 2008 01:20 AM

DVD covers...

I was checking out what some of ya'll have made up for DVD covers and they look amazing.
what kind of program(s) do you guys use? Is it all done on Photoshop?
Steve

Renton Maclachlan April 22nd, 2008 02:56 AM

I use Indesign - part of Adobe CS2 - which of course includes Photoshop.

SiuChung Leung April 22nd, 2008 04:42 AM

I am not good at graphic design, so I stick with PS

Don Bloom April 22nd, 2008 05:21 AM

Photoshop it is.

Don

Yang Wen April 22nd, 2008 07:57 AM

I Use Photoshop, and the template supplied by jewelboxing.

Stephen J. Williams April 22nd, 2008 09:58 AM

thanks everyone... would a program like Photoshop Elements 6 work well??? I noticed that photoshop is around 600$ on the apple website. Elements is only 90$.

Don Bloom April 22nd, 2008 01:24 PM

You can use Elements but it is a "lite" version of PS. There are things you can't do in Elements that you can in the full version.
I think though for cover wraps it would probably be OK.

Don

Ashley Hampton April 22nd, 2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 865296)
thanks everyone... would a program like Photoshop Elements 6 work well??? I noticed that photoshop is around 600$ on the apple website. Elements is only 90$.

I used PSE covers and it worked great for what I needed to do. I now use PS CS3 because I was ready to go to the next level. The great thing about starting with Elements is, if you upgrade to CS3 you get a discount for the value of Elements. Good luck.

Monday Isa April 22nd, 2008 05:30 PM

I actually use Ulead Photo Impact 10. Does what I need. Simple and quick. Used it for 3 years now.

Waldemar Winkler April 22nd, 2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 865296)

I've used PS Elements for years. One can really do a lot with it. A little searching around the web with a term like "Photoshop Elements plug-ins" can give you access to a lot of specialized additional features.

PS Elements is a "dumbed down" version of the bigger, more expensive version and ... Adobe continues to dumb it down with every new version. You can't, for example, export in CMYK. but you can get a plug-in that allows CMYK exporting. There is a feature to Photoshop (forget what it is called) that allows one to program a series of steps to improve workflow efficiency that doesn't exist in Elements. Utilizing Curves to adjust image exposure was blocked I think after Elements 2.

Finding a plug-in that actually works in elements can be a bit of a chore. What works for one version may not work in another.

The full PS version allows you to do just about anything. Most people won't use most of the features, but they will regularly use a few features not available in Elements.

Buy Elements and spend some time with it. Adobe will allow a discount when you are ready to upgrade.

PS: Adobe links software serial numbers with a computer's ID number to create a very unique registration code. Just purchasing a used copy of CS2 requires a lengthy deregistration process by the original owner.

Mark Von Lanken April 24th, 2008 07:49 AM

We use Pop Drops from Pixel Pops. http://www.pixelpops-shop.com/DVD-Me...tes_c_172.html

It works with Photo Shop and Encore. Pop Drops makes the process very quick and easy. In very little time you can have a DVD insert, label and menus that all match and look great.

Taky Cheung April 24th, 2008 08:48 AM

I use Photoshop. I made a template the print on the top right of the page. With the borderless printing of the Epson printer, I just need to trim off the bottom and the right side of each page.