DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Instinct or guidance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/120555-instinct-guidance.html)

Bill Grant April 29th, 2008 09:52 AM

Instinct or guidance?

Ok,
Here's the question. I am 4 weddings into a 12 wedding stretch. I have 4/19 on the chopping block and I am deciding where to go with the editing. I have cut a trailer/intro that is different in style from what I normally do, but I think it works. I have chosen the second song and could continue on but I have asked the bride for guidance and she hasn't responded to my e-mail. Do I continue as my instinct tells me or wait for guidance from her? whatya think?
Bill

Ethan Cooper April 29th, 2008 10:25 AM

I'd say go with your gut. It's dangerous to open up the creative process to those who don't do it for a living. That's just my opinion.
As long as your instinct hasn't proven to suck in the past I'd go with it. I don't think I've ever had a bride complain (to my face) when I've deviated from my usual path. Get out of your rut for a while, test the waters. The worst that can happen is you finish it, hate it, and have to blow up your timeline and start again with the same ol stuff that has gotten you jobs up to this point. Unless you've promised some crazy short turn around time, I'd take this week to explore a bit. Never know, you could stumble upon something good, or finally lay to rest the voices in the back of your head that have been nagging you for a few weeks.

I wish I was anywhere close to having 4/19 on the chopping block.

Travis Cossel April 29th, 2008 11:22 AM

First, I think it was a mistake to ask the bride for guidance. They don't necessarily understand the creative process, how editing works, and oftentimes they just don't get what makes for a good video ... meaning they can give you guidance that forces you to produce something of lesser quality. Then you have the issue that they may take a week or two .. or more to get back to you.

However, since you did ask the bride for guidance, I think it would be a mistake to just continue editing without talking to her again. What are you going to do when you spend a few days editing the next piece and THEN she gets back to you with her "guidance" ... and it requires you to re-edit? If you ask for input, I think you're asking for trouble if you don't wait to hear it.

An option for you could be to drop her another message and let her know you need her input by say, tomorrow, or else you will be continuing with the editing process. That gives you a loophole to continue with editing if she doesn't get back to you.

Art Varga April 29th, 2008 02:31 PM

same dilema - I have two weddings captured and all tee'd up waiting for calls back from B&G to discuss style/music. The thing is, I tried to get this all ironed out up front but the clients couldn't decide. This leads me to think I shouldn't ask. Afterall, the client chose me to do their wedding based on examples of my work, which they liked. My biggest concern is around music. I'm trying use less mainstream music but concerned about picking anything too " out there" for the client. I'm thinking maybe a quick check point with B&G once I pick the music and can show a sample. The downside of this for me is it kind of dilutes the surprise and thrill of delivering the finished product but I guess its better than having to do a redo.

Art

Travis Cossel April 29th, 2008 02:52 PM

I make it policy that if a couple wants to give me music to use in the video, then it needs to be in my hands before the wedding day. If they procrastinate and don't get me music, I edit on without it. The wedding season is too busy for me to wait on people, and considering that most of them have 3 to 6 months or more to get me the music, I don't think it's too much to ask. Just make sure it's in your contract.

Bill Grant April 29th, 2008 10:28 PM

Well,
First thanks for the responses. Let me also say that I don't ask the bride for stylistic advice, only music advice. I have figured out over these past few years that I can edit to anything. I sometimes have a hard time reading the brides personal tastes so I send out a music questionaire with the contract, etc. This one I didn't get back, and they are very hard to read. I, honestly can spend alot of my time in the edit just picking out music. I did hear back from her today, and she loved the trailer I made (with the Bright Eyes track) so I am on the right path. She said "their song" was Everlong by the FOo Fighters, and his favorite band was the Allman BRothers, so I've go this one figured out. I went with my gut anyway, and should have this one in the bag by Friday. Thanks again everyone.
Bill