DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Booked First Wedding, Sample Contract? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/120940-booked-first-wedding-sample-contract.html)

Jimmy Moss May 5th, 2008 01:05 AM

Booked First Wedding, Sample Contract?

I booking my first wedding and wondered if anybody had a sample contract or something similar that I could look at, and with your permission mabe use for this gig.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Regards,

Jimmy

Jason Robinson May 5th, 2008 10:09 AM

first off

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Moss (Post 872197)
I booking my first wedding and wondered if anybody had a sample contract or something similar that I could look at, and with your permission mabe use for this gig. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Regards, Jimmy

First off, realize that any contract samples you may get are going to be localized, that is not applicable in part or whole for your location, especially if the sample contract is from overseas.

Jimmy Moss May 5th, 2008 11:51 AM

Yes, I did think about that. I'm sort of just looking for something to go off of, look over and find out what sort of things are in one.

Are there any websites that go into this in detail that anyone knows about?

I did a couple searches on this board and others.

John Stakes May 5th, 2008 12:29 PM

what most will tell you is to get professional advice, which is great "advice." If you plan on doing this as a professional, this will benefit you immediately. Another option is to (like me) start off with just a basic contract stating the obvious things like you are the videographer and they are paying you for your services. Then as you get more experience/weddings, you will run into bumps in the road. At every event, revise the contract so that the next booking will reflect the cases exclusively.

-JS

Ervin Farkas May 5th, 2008 12:37 PM

Google for "wedding video contract" and you will get more than you can handle. For the essential parts of a basic contracts see http://www.gavinholt.com/wedding_vid..._contract.html.

Martin Vavra May 5th, 2008 06:03 PM

My contract is located on my website here . You are welcome to print it out and adjust it for your use as needed.

Marco Leavitt March 4th, 2009 12:05 PM

Hey Martin,
That link is to a list of prices and packages. Is your contract on the site as well?

Mike Tucker March 4th, 2009 08:50 PM

PhotographersToolkit.com

Randy Stewart March 7th, 2009 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jimmy,
Here's a generic sample for you. See attached.
Randy

Chris Estrella March 8th, 2009 02:40 AM

You're going to learn a LOT in filming your first few weddings, especially the first one. When you're done filming, and likely editing too, remember to revise your current contract (when you use one) to fit your style, preferences, and how you handle things that is fair to you (ie. surcharges, extra hours policy, delivery times, stuff like that).

Unless you plan to book more before you even shoot your first wedding, then I guess you'll have to stick to your terms until later...

If you make an agreement with a client and later you realize you want to change something (to your benefit only, ie. higher rate)...know that some clients may not take that kindly. I made that mistake once...

Jason Robinson March 8th, 2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Estrella (Post 1024213)
If you make an agreement with a client and later you realize you want to change something (to your benefit only, ie. higher rate)...know that some clients may not take that kindly. I made that mistake once...

I decided that no matter what my current pricing is, if someone has a sample contract, or an email from me referencing different prices, then I would honor that price. I figure it is a small price to pay to gain trust.

But I also put a foot note on the bottom of all my pricing / contracts that has an expiration date for the prices offered. Just in case things change for my business and my prices are drastically altered (like a jump to HD, or a different business model).

Craig Terott March 8th, 2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1024488)
I decided that no matter what my current pricing is, if someone has a sample contract, or an email from me referencing different prices, then I would honor that price.

[Alarm bells]

In an artistic profession, the concept that someone else produces the same product as you is a very bad one from the get-go. Just offering to match a competitor's price suggests to the client that your services are merely a commodity like bananas, and takes off the table, the better idea, that your service/talents are unique.

If you think about, isn't there a more genuine way to establish trust?

Jason Robinson March 9th, 2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Terott (Post 1024590)
[Alarm bells]

In an artistic profession, the concept that someone else produces the same product as you is a very bad one from the get-go. Just offering to match a competitor's price suggests to the client that your services are merely a commodity like bananas, and takes off the table, the better idea, that your service/talents are unique.

If you think about, isn't there a more genuine way to establish trust?

My mistake. I should have said "a sample contract from me" not from any Joe Schmoe with a handy cam.

I was trying to say that I honor my prices on my contracts, even if I change pricing mid year (which I occasionally do to adjust for demand / cam repairs, etc). I in no way care what others in our market charge. In our market we have may be 3 or 4 full time videographers. Two of us are here on DVInfo (Travis & I.... though there may be more, I just haven't seen them in the Wedding Forum) and really strive for great products. The other 2 will double / tripple book and hire the "guy with cam" to cover on those occasions or just do plain vanilla wedding videos. Then there are a dozen or so of the "guy with cams" that charge $500. Honestly, the only other company in town I even pay attention to is Travis, and he shoots HD, so we are in a different brackets.

So my mistake for the misleading quote. I would NEVER offer to match prices (unless we are talking about a difference less than $100) from a competitor...... and if I did, I would cut services to match the price, not discount my services.

Craig Terott March 9th, 2009 01:02 PM

oh... we're on the same page Jason.

Interesting you use the same phrase I do "The guys with a cam" Sometimes when speaking with a client I'll go as far as to explain "...you can hire a camera man or you can hire a videographer."