Clip: Highlight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Clip: Highlight

This was an unusual Highlight for us. I say unusual because we typically include VO or at least some of the vows in a Highlight. Because of the song, the couple selected the song, the VO or vows didn't seem to fit. So what I'm saying is, this is not one of our typical Cinematic Highlights, but it was fun working on and it fits the couple perfectly. It's often good to step away from your usual style and try something different.

http://vonweddingfilms.com/v2site_im...MHighlight.wmv
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Nice work Mark. Great shallow DOF on the static of the flowers. I thought maybe a couple cross dissloves may have added more drama but thats just personal pref. stuff. That bouquet toss looked like a long bomb for a TD
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That black background during the ceremony sure helped make for some awesome shots. Add to that the spotlight lighting, and what a great formula for really making what's important stand out.

I thought it was a great clip, well edited and paced, with good shot selection, colors, etc. I only viewed it once, but nothing stuck out as out of place. Nice work.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Nice stuff. Did you do the pans and stuff handheld, that was nice. Since I don't have audio on this computer, the flow worked really well with the video. You had a nice picture online as well.

By the way, I was expecting the photographer to 'clankle' someone with this flash cord. hehe. That wouldn't have been very good.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
This was an unusual Highlight for us. I say unusual because we typically include VO or at least some of the vows in a Highlight. Because of the song, the couple selected the song, the VO or vows didn't seem to fit. So what I'm saying is, this is not one of our typical Cinematic Highlights, but it was fun working on and it fits the couple perfectly. It's often good to step away from your usual style and try something different.

http://vonweddingfilms.com/v2site_im...MHighlight.wmv
Mark, I think your work looks great!
I was curious about what clients think regarding having your logo embedded on the lower left corner of the video.
Do clients find that distracting?
Do you find that having that logo prevents most from copying your work?

Just wanted your thoughts on that.
Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Nice work Mark. Great shallow DOF on the static of the flowers. I thought maybe a couple cross dissloves may have added more drama but thats just personal pref. stuff. That bouquet toss looked like a long bomb for a TD
Hi John,

Thanks for watching. We learned the bouquet toss from David Robin. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a cool shot.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Caraballo View Post
I was curious about what clients think regarding having your logo embedded on the lower left corner of the video.

Thanks.
I'll bet the logo is only on the web version.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
That black background during the ceremony sure helped make for some awesome shots. Add to that the spotlight lighting, and what a great formula for really making what's important stand out.

I thought it was a great clip, well edited and paced, with good shot selection, colors, etc. I only viewed it once, but nothing stuck out as out of place. Nice work.
Hi Travis,

The ceremony lighting was very good for helping the audience focus on the Bride and Groom. It was tough shooting the processional, but once they made it up to the platform, the lighting was pretty good for video. Not ideal, but pretty good. The black background did make it easy for my son and myself to go un noticed with our black tripods and black clothing.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Nice stuff. Did you do the pans and stuff handheld, that was nice. Since I don't have audio on this computer, the flow worked really well with the video. You had a nice picture online as well.

By the way, I was expecting the photographer to 'clankle' someone with this flash cord. hehe. That wouldn't have been very good.

Hi Steven,

Thanks. The opening two shots were handheld. The cake shots were also handheld. Only the party dancing was Glidecam.

The photographers held their camera in the right hand and the flash in the left hand. For that shot, the husband handed his flash to his wife. That is the only time I saw her hold his flash.

When I first noticed the Bride and her sister were playing "air fiddle", I was on the opposite side of the dance floor. By the time I made it past the photographers, they were done. That is why I used that shot. I knew videographers would see the photographers, but the clients would see the Bride and sister playing "air fiddle". Just one example of editing for the client and not for videographers.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Caraballo View Post

Thanks.
Hi Johnnie,

Thanks. The logo is only on the wmv files, not on the DVD. When we encode for flash, we don't use a logo bug, but when we encode for wmv we use the logo bug. A couple of years ago a videographer had several of my clips on his website. The logo bug didn't stop him, but it did take him more time to cover up my logo bug.

I see it like a security system. It doesn't stop someone from stealing from you, but it does make it more difficult. In addition to that, when the Bride sends the clips out to all of her friends they see my company name.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for watching. We learned the bouquet toss from David Robin. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a cool shot.
Mark:
Can you elaborate a bit on this? What was it that you learned? Shutter speed, angle, ?
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Mark:
Can you elaborate a bit on this? What was it that you learned? Shutter speed, angle, ?
We usually shot with one camera on the Bride with the girls in the background and the other camera getting the faces of the girls. Then we noticed how David would get these really cool bouquet tosses.

When there is a tall ceiling or when it's outdoors we have the second camera positioned as we did on this highlight. If the second camera angle doesn't work, we still have it with the camera near the Bride.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #13
Major Player

Mark, nice stuff!

That dance area looked watered down. Did you do that for effect? j/k

Btw, I've never ever seen a photographer tethered like that. Strange :-\
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Bill,

Thanks. Yeah, I roll of the color to make it look a little more flat. ;-)
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #15
Major Player

Mark, I'm thinkin' you didn't get me :D What I meant was... how the dance area looked similar to how film production crews water down streets because they like that "look". (1:38, 2:27, 2:36)

Just joking around :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques