DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   HD & Super 8 Mix (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/125781-hd-super-8-mix.html)

John Moon July 11th, 2008 11:22 AM

HD & Super 8 Mix

This was a wedding we did at Monument Circle in Indianapolis, IN. Shot with Canon A1's and some MB. Super 8 cam was a Canon and used 500T film. Super 8 is ok but can do better. Next shoot will use 200t or 64t film stock. This was my first real test with Super 8. I also stretched to fill for widescreen and more grain in 500t.

Ethan Cooper July 11th, 2008 11:35 AM

John - forget something? Like a link maybe.

Shaun Conner July 11th, 2008 01:12 PM

If this is the link to the video you wanted to post, it looks great. http://www.vimeo.com/1315008

John Moon July 11th, 2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 905994)
John - forget something? Like a link maybe.

Ummm yeah link would help...

Thanks Shaun, thats the link. Trying to do to many things at once.

Jason Robinson July 12th, 2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Moon (Post 905989)
This was a wedding we did at Monument Circle in Indianapolis, IN. Shot with Canon A1's and some MB. Super 8 cam was a Canon and used 500T film. Super 8 is ok but can do better. Next shoot will use 200t or 64t film stock. This was my first real test with Super 8. I also stretched to fill for widescreen and more grain in 500t.

I've always wondered how you get footage from super 8 into an NLE? IS there a film developing, then film scanning machine?

Perrone Ford July 12th, 2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 906223)
I've always wondered how you get footage from super 8 into an NLE? IS there a film developing, then film scanning machine?

Yes. The scanning process is called Telecine. Nearly all hollywood movies go through this process, which is how you can buy DVDs of things that were recorded on film.

Chris P. Jones August 20th, 2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 906223)
I've always wondered how you get footage from super 8 into an NLE?

Once the telecine process is complete, the lab will send you a dv tape with the footage, then your workflow is the same from that point forward.

jones

Stelios Christofides August 20th, 2008 03:18 PM

John
I liked your video and the compositions were great. The super 8 idea is fine but I would have preferred to show the super 8 clips of the bride and groom when there were young. If you couldn't find actual super 8 film of them, but VHS footage, then you could project this on to a screen and then film it with super 8. Just an idea. I just couldn't see the purpose of superimposing super 8 onto HD.

Stelios

Tim Harjo August 20th, 2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides (Post 922692)
John
I liked your video and the compositions were great. The super 8 idea is fine but I would have preferred to show the super 8 clips of the bride and groom when there were young. If you couldn't find actual super 8 film of them, but VHS footage, then you could project this on to a screen and then film it with super 8. Just an idea. I just couldn't see the purpose of superimposing super 8 onto HD.

Stelios

Recording on actual film is a fairly mew and growing trend in wedding videography. It's really only used for effect. So rather than just use an "old film effect" with digital footage, videographers are taking it a step further and recording footage with an actual film camera.

John did a good job here. If you would like to see some other examples, Patrick with Still Motion has been working with film for effect as well as Josh with CinematicBride. (You can look both of them up on Google).

Matthew Ebenezer August 22nd, 2008 04:05 AM

Hey John,

I really enjoyed this and I love the Super 8 footage - found myself craving more of it at times throughout the piece.

Lovely storytelling too.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Jonathan Bufkin August 22nd, 2008 12:59 PM

Great job John! Did you use a matte over your Super8 or did you uprez it to match your XH A1 footage?

Matthew Ebenezer August 22nd, 2008 04:34 PM

I forgot to say I love the Brooke Fraser song as well :) Great to see her music finding it's way overseas.

Alex Atamanskiy August 22nd, 2008 09:48 PM

Great look, so was it upresed during telecine? I wonder how much that cost you...