DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Translation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/126155-translation.html)

Noa Put July 17th, 2008 11:22 AM

Translation

It's the first time I did an English wedding (in Belgium) and now I need to have the correct description for the different parts of the day on the dvd and were better to ask then here! :)

The wedding in the church; is "the ceremony" the best description to use or do you describe it just as "the church"?

I"m also not so sure about the reception in the evening, in Belgium we have a "'receptie" or "reception" were they all have a drink (usually outside) and a "avondfeest" or literally translated "eveningparty" when they all sit at the table to eat. Are there different descriptions that I could use for this?

When the couples dances for the first time in the evening, do you call that "first dance" or "wedding dance"?

Shaun Conner July 17th, 2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 908768)
It's the first time I did an English wedding (in Belgium) and now I need to have the correct description for the different parts of the day on the dvd and were better to ask then here! :)

The wedding in the church; is "the ceremony" the best description to use or do you describe it just as "the church"?

I"m also not so sure about the reception in the evening, in Belgium we have a "'receptie" or "reception" were they all have a drink (usually outside) and a "avondfeest" or literally translated "eveningparty" when they all sit at the table to eat. Are there different descriptions that I could use for this?

When the couples dances for the first time in the evening, do you call that "first dance" or "wedding dance"?

"The Ceremony", "reception", and "First Dance" are pretty much commonly used.

Noa Put July 17th, 2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Conner (Post 908770)
"The Ceremony", "reception", and "First Dance" are pretty much commonly used.

Thanks, but is there any difference made between the reception outside when they having drinks or the party inside in the evening? I just ask because here it's called differently.

Jason Robinson July 17th, 2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 908847)
Thanks, but is there any difference made between the reception outside when they having drinks or the party inside in the evening? I just ask because here it's called differently.

My April wedding had a cocktail hour before the grand entrance into the reception hall. It was just called the "Cocktail Hour" and "The Reception" on all the time lines and itineraries.

Kelsey Emuss July 17th, 2008 04:35 PM

I would say that the "outside" thing-y would be called a cocktail hour here in North America. Or you could call it an "Outside Thing-y" but then I'd want credit for it!

Noa Put July 18th, 2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss (Post 908908)
I would say that the "outside" thing-y would be called a cocktail hour here in North America. Or you could call it an "Outside Thing-y" but then I'd want credit for it!

Thanks a lot for the translations, a "Kelsey's outside thing-y cocktail hour" sounds best :)

Vince Baker July 18th, 2008 08:16 AM

In strict english your have the following:

The Church or Registry office is classed as: The Ceremony
The Drinks on arrival are classed as: Reception Toast
The Meal is referred to as: The wedding breakfast (but more recently just The Reception)
The evening is referred to as: The evening reception

Taky Cheung July 18th, 2008 08:37 AM

I use the term "The Matrimony" for the ceremony at church.

Noa Put July 18th, 2008 09:46 AM

Thanks for the additional translations, this gives me some more choice.

Kelsey Emuss July 18th, 2008 10:10 AM

WooHoo! I'm famous!

Noa Put July 18th, 2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss (Post 909158)
WooHoo! I'm famous!

Don't get too excited, Belgium is a very, very small country. :D

Kees van Duijvenbode July 18th, 2008 03:37 PM

They even don't have a gouvernment right now ... :-))