DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How many of you deliver in HD DVD or Blueray? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/126248-how-many-you-deliver-hd-dvd-blueray.html)

Oleg Kalyan July 18th, 2008 02:36 PM

How many of you deliver in HD DVD or Blueray?

I am interested to offer that to the clients, do all editing on Mac,
curious to know of how many of you deliver HD content on disc.
Please describe your workflow!

Cheers!

Blake Cavett July 18th, 2008 04:02 PM

I DON'T and haven't the foggiest clue as to how to make that happen.

David Schuurman July 18th, 2008 05:31 PM

delivering hddvd is pretty easy to do through dvdsp. but why would anyone want that as their main copy anyway?

Zach Stewart July 18th, 2008 06:07 PM

I will be delivering a Bluray & SD DVD to a client within the next few months (way behind right now) and will let everyone know how that experience goes. This is the one and only client I have had to date ask about HD.

Nathan Nazeck July 18th, 2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Stewart (Post 909339)
I will be delivering a Bluray & SD DVD to a client within the next few months (way behind right now) and will let everyone know how that experience goes. This is the one and only client I have had to date ask about HD.

We've offered Blu Ray for six months now, a few have talked about it but no takers yet...

Ethan Cooper July 18th, 2008 11:08 PM

I'd love to deliver Blu-ray from a Mac, but that would mean:

1) buying Adobe's Production Suite just to get Encore to author a BD-R since we use FCS and Apple is about 2 years late getting us Blu-ray support in DVDSP.
**CORRECTION** seems that you can buy Premiere by itself and get Encore with it for $800. That's about half price of the whole Production pack or whatever they call it.

and

2) paying somewhere between $12 and $20 per blank printable disc and we do 5 x 2 disc sets. 10 BD-R's = $200 in media cost without factoring in ink, extra time to burn, print, design and packaging. Better hope you don't have bad burns or mistakes on the final discs cause that would get pricey and eat into the ol profit margin big time.

I'm highly disgruntled at the state of Blu-ray delivery for the Mac, or any system for that matter. It just seems a bit ridiculous. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled by the relatively cheap price of doing things the past few years. I mean I do remember a time when DVD players and burners cost close to what Blu-ray players and burners cost today, but did the blank media ever cost that much? I've just gotten use to my $.30 media and the ability to burn it using one production suite I guess.

Alastair Brown July 18th, 2008 11:18 PM

Just completed my first Blu-Ray for a customer earlier this month. Does require a whole extra pile of work i.e. 10.5hr render on a quad core and more expensive media.

I think once people actually start seeing the difference then the orders will start coming in. There is going to be a period of educating the public in what the advantages are.

Noa Put July 19th, 2008 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 909419)
**CORRECTION** seems that you can buy Premiere by itself and get Encore with it for $800. That's about half price of the whole Production pack or whatever they call it.

I got the premiere/encore bundle and you guys pay half the price compared to what adobe charges in Europe (I paid 1600! dollar) for that combo. Since I will jump into the HD arena soon I intend to push it as much as possible, I'm aware about the extra time and cost spend but I will have to raise the price on my packages anyway if they are in HD and burned on a blu-ray.

I was thinking about buying a playstation 3 and take it with me when visiting my clients, since most have a lcd tv's these day's I can easily connect it and show the benefits of HD.
Just to get a demo I plan to offer a blu-ray version for the price of the "regular" SD package, maybe about 2 weddings so I can have 2 demo's to show. I am sure once my clients see the difference they might consider choosing the HD package and buy a blu-ray player later. I will deliver regular dvd's as well with it for family and friends because not everyone has a BR player.

I had a question on this forum before about buying a HD cam and many comments I got there made me think about the way I will deliver or re-evaluate my opinion about it. I'm getting my camera in a month or so and I'm very curious to see how much it will affect my workflow.

Khoi Pham July 19th, 2008 11:33 AM

I'm editing on Edius, output timeline to HQ AVI to another computer, then use ProCoder3 to encode MPEG2 HD and Encore to author and burn on a Sony BD burner, works great, Encore do have a few bugs, I'm thinking about switching to DVDit Pro HD since the new version will support dual layer BD. Encore also have builtin encoder for BD using MPEG2 HD or AVC, but I found that the AVC encoding is washout for some reason, the MPEG2 HD within Encore is ok if you guys don't have other encoder.
Noa, PS3 is a great BD player, it has its own hard drive, you can store HD and SD demo in your PS3 and do a comparison for you clients, they will see a big difference.

Alastair Brown July 19th, 2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 909532)
Noa, PS3 is a great BD player, it has its own hard drive, you can store HD and SD demo in your PS3 and do a comparison for you clients, they will see a big difference.

And there Gentlemen is all the justification you need for explaining to your wife why you NEED to have a PS3!

Tim Polster July 19th, 2008 02:36 PM

Your right!

Along with the camera purchases that are somewhat stalled in the budget committee...

Noa Put July 20th, 2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Brown (Post 909547)
And there Gentlemen is all the justification you need for explaining to your wife why you NEED to have a PS3!

hehe, I used that explanation and my wife gave me "the look" but she didn"t say no :D

Khoi Pham July 20th, 2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 909668)
hehe, I used that explanation and my wife gave me "the look" but she didn"t say no :D

Here is some more amo, tell her that it also has wifi, she can stream music and video from your computer, she can surf the internet on her HDTV, she can put her CF or SD card in and it will play her pictures on your HDTV(very sharp), it will upconvert SD DVD to 1080P and looks very good, btw it also play games. (-:

Vince Baker July 20th, 2008 02:25 PM

As usual I followed the advice I read on here....

I am now nursing a black eye for suggesting buying a PS3 for that to the wife...

Dont trust everything you read.... ;)

Rick Steele July 20th, 2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Brown (Post 909421)
There is going to be a period of educating the public in what the advantages are.

The industry has had almost 3 years to do this. :)

Really, if HDV was going to "take off", it would've done so by now. It'll happen but we're all waiting for home TV's to die because Widescreen sets are just about the only replacement out there these days. I see more reasons to shoot native 16:9 and deliver downconverted SD than I do the HD side of things.

As it stands now, considering the "hoops" one still needs to jump through, I don't see any buisness model that has convinced me I can make more money delivering Blu-Ray.