DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   HV30 + Letus mini (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/128117-hv30-letus-mini.html)

Raphael Jamil Pranga August 16th, 2008 05:50 AM

HV30 + Letus mini

Hi Guys! We just recently bought a canon HV30 + Letus mini 35mm adapter. We noticed that this thing really can't compete with a 3CCD camera just like the FX1 in low light situations. It gets quite noisy in situations like in the hallway of hotels going to the rooms or inside the churches here in the Philippines.

But we really love it since most of our couples avail our pre or post nuptial shoot and the best part is, it's very portable. Ideal for destination weddings!

But yesterday, we were tasked to shoot a civil wedding so the ceremony was outdoors and i shot the whole thing using it! Most of the shots where shot with a canon 50mm 1.8 and the ceremony with a 100mm 2.8 which I just borrowed from the photographers hihihihi! But we're getting one soon!

I'm still getting a bit used to this camera but as of now, i mostly shoot in auto ^_^
I just learned to adjust the exposure after the ceremony... Tee hee!

And it gets quite hard to focus if your getting medium shots of the subject or is it just my eyes...

And i was quite blown away with what this little camera can do when i watched this during the reception. Alvin got most of the scenes from the HV30 which were both shot by me or him

Mayad Studios Blog Archive Zenat and Dirk

Oleg Kalyan August 16th, 2008 08:59 AM

Nice, very artistic, keep good work coming,
yet, it's hard to tell the resolution after vimeo encoding since it's not HD.

HV30 is a great little camera, when used in good lighting, imo.

Rick Steele August 16th, 2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael Jamil Pranga (Post 921042)
We noticed that this thing really can't compete with a 3CCD camera just like the FX1 in low light situations. It gets quite noisy in situations like in the hallway of hotels going to the rooms or inside the churches[/url]

Nice clip.

I guess I don't understand the appeal and apparent hype of the HV30 with the letus. Using this cam alone as a tape deck to save the heads on your other gear (or maybe using it as a last resort backup) is one thing... but when folks add a $1200 letus to this thing you're getting close to putting those resources into another 3CCD matching camera. (at least a used FX1 anyway).

Any camera will get stunning footage "outdoors" but if it has limited use during the ceremony (indeed, if any "proper" use at all) and is worthless at a reception I just don't see the appeal of this thing. I know the A1 folks say it matches pretty well but I'd sure hate to rely on it.

Buba Kastorski August 16th, 2008 11:48 AM

great job , awesome shots, loved everything, maybe a bit too much of vignetting, and you can see that PQ sufer from ligh tloss, but other than that - perfect, great stedicam shots.
thanks for posting.

Matthew Ebenezer August 16th, 2008 06:52 PM

Hey Raphael,

Lovely clip - one of my favourites from you actually. I love your fun stuff but this one has a beautiful mood and emotion to it that I really like.

You get used to focusing with some practice ... I still miss my share but am getting better. The HV30 has a focus assist/magnify button that can help with focusing - but it doesn't work when you're recording :(

Rick - the appeal is the amazing depth of field and organic image you can get out of a sub $3,000 (AUS) package. It's a look that you can't get with cameras like even a bare EX1 or even more expensive ones. I use a HV30+Brevis combo and for me, it's not about getting the most perfect, pristine image - it's about achieving a look and feel that is unique and with DOF that just isn't possible with a bare 3CCD camera.

Like any piece of equipment it has it's limitations, especially in low light - and you probably wouldn't use it as a main camera for the ceremony or reception (although I dream of the day when I can shoot a whole wedding with just 35mm adapters). I shoot with two A1s as well, and I find myself reaching for my HV30+Brevis more and more. For me, it has opened up a whole new world of creative film-making and I love it! :)

Travis Cossel August 16th, 2008 08:18 PM

Nice video. I loved the feeling of it. Good grading and editing, and the pacing felt just right.

Peter Szilveszter August 17th, 2008 06:02 PM

Great job Raphael. I love the hv30/adapter look too. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer (Post 921186)
The HV30 has a focus assist/magnify button that can help with focusing - but it doesn't work when you're recording :(

Don't know if you are using the peaking function (just like on the A1), I find that more useful then magnify and its on even when you are recording.

Jeff Anselmo August 17th, 2008 07:23 PM

Hi Raphael,

Maganda yun, pare! (And that's the limit of my tagalog :) In translation: Beautiful work, man!

"I just keep getting blown away by this little camera," 'nuff said.

Matt--you said it best.

Now off to figure out how to lock iris and shutter on the HV30...

Best,

Raphael Jamil Pranga August 19th, 2008 08:57 PM

Thanks so much guys for the kind words :D

Will be practicing and exploring more of what this little camera can do... hehehe!

Fiel

Jason Magbanua August 20th, 2008 02:06 AM

Nice!!!

you should try it with the FX just to compare. you'll be blown away at the difference, especially indoors.

Raphael Jamil Pranga August 21st, 2008 08:21 AM

Thanks thanks!!!

Yep, will sure do! :D

Bruce Patterson August 22nd, 2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael Jamil Pranga (Post 921042)
Hi Guys! We just recently bought a canon HV30 + Letus mini 35mm adapter. We noticed that this thing really can't compete with a 3CCD camera just like the FX1 in low light situations. It gets quite noisy in situations like in the hallway of hotels going to the rooms or inside the churches here in the Philippines.

But we really love it since most of our couples avail our pre or post nuptial shoot and the best part is, it's very portable. Ideal for destination weddings!

But yesterday, we were tasked to shoot a civil wedding so the ceremony was outdoors and i shot the whole thing using it! Most of the shots where shot with a canon 50mm 1.8 and the ceremony with a 100mm 2.8 which I just borrowed from the photographers hihihihi! But we're getting one soon!

I'm still getting a bit used to this camera but as of now, i mostly shoot in auto ^_^
I just learned to adjust the exposure after the ceremony... Tee hee!

And it gets quite hard to focus if your getting medium shots of the subject or is it just my eyes...

And i was quite blown away with what this little camera can do when i watched this during the reception. Alvin got most of the scenes from the HV30 which were both shot by me or him

Mayad Studios Blog Archive Zenat and Dirk

Wow, great clip Raphael! I'm loving the DOF on those shots. It still amazes me the amount of features Canon decided to pack into the HV30 - scary really for such a small cam! We're doing the HV30+Letus Extreme (with step down rings) combo ourselves in order to have the option to shoot with our Z1Us if need be. Based on your mini's footage, I'm super excited to get my hands on the extreme. It'll be interesting to see the difference, especially in low light.

It's the first time I've seen your work and I was really impressed! Again, great job!

Ethan Cooper August 22nd, 2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 921080)
I guess I don't understand the appeal and apparent hype of the HV30 with the letus.

The main advantage of the HV20/30 and Letus Mini is size. If I were to strap a Letus Extreme on the front of my FX7's, that would be one cumbersome beast. That just doesn't work well for my shooting style since I rarely run off a tripod except for the ceremony.
If you're use to working form a tripod, then that type of setup might work well for you.

I went the route of HV20 and Letus Extreme about 6 months ago and I don't regret it one bit. Got the larger Extreme so I could use it with my other cameras when I'm doing non wedding stuff. Most of my really artistic shots don't happen indoors anyway and not having the Adapter Cam (as I call it) at my disposal at all times doesn't limit me in any way as far as I can see.

A lot of the indoor stuff I shoot is in tight quarters and calls for me to change things up quicker than switching out primes allows anyway. Servo zooms are WAY easier in these situations. It might not be as pretty, but at least I'm not missing shots.

It's a nice tool to have in the arsenal, very much in the same way that you don't always use your fisheye or wideangle lenses but they're really nice to have around when they're called for.

Ian Lim August 24th, 2008 02:54 AM

Fiel, congrats on your new toys (Hv30 + Letus Mini) and of course, the video is truly awesome!

Raphael Jamil Pranga August 25th, 2008 02:52 AM

hi guys! thank you so much! :D