DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   On Line Videos? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/128461-line-videos.html)

Denny Kyser August 21st, 2008 05:25 PM

On Line Videos?

I see many people upload videos to Vimeo, is this the best place to upload videos. I dont like the way Youtube looks, and I want to do wide screen.

I dont mind doing my homework in learning the best way to show videos online but hoping someone can get me headed in the right directions.

If Vimeo is a good option, what size and format is best to upload for widescreen?

Thanks

Travis Cossel August 21st, 2008 05:29 PM

Vimeo is pretty good I think. As for how and what to upload, just go to Vimeo and check out the "Help" section. Everything you need to know is in there.

Tim Harjo August 21st, 2008 10:43 PM

Vimeo looks great! Thinking about doing that for my next upload to the web.

Matthew Ebenezer August 22nd, 2008 04:15 AM

I was encoding my videos as FLVs for upload to my blog but I've started uploading to Vimeo instead and embedding the code in my blog posts. So far so good.

The quality is good and the view count is handy as well. There's no real way to tell how many plays from the blog vs Vimeo itself but it's better than nothing.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Danny O'Neill August 22nd, 2008 09:46 AM

Its soooo easy I just stuck with Vimeo, the fact it does HD and widescreen is just ideal. Nothing else I found offers the same quality short of hosting your own files but they take agest to downlaod and stream.

Vimeo, you just encode it right, upload and its there. Use the buttons to create code to embed in your own blow.

It tells you the view count and I recently noticed it also showed you reffers so I can see where the visitors came from.

We tell all our clients that if they want clips online to come to us as we need to ensure the quality is kept. Youtube is just the most horrid thing around and ive seen a few brides upload clips from their DVD from other videographers and they often encode badly so it stutters and the quality is bad. I want to ensure we maintain control over this.

Search the vimeo help and forums. There are a number of guides for the various editors telling you what settings you need to encode to so you get the best looking videos. The one bit of advice I will give is the guides tell you to leave your framerate as is on the rendering/encoding settings. I would advise to set the framerate to 24fps otherwise I get a nasty stutter if I leave it at 25fps.

Josh Chesarek August 22nd, 2008 10:24 AM

Vimeo is def. a good choice. Like others have also talked about I have chosen to host my own videos as I often need something different each time. Hosting my own allows me to play with the bit rates, resolutions and more. If you have a wordpress blog I have written a plugin that makes it easy to post FLV and .mp4 files as well as track the number of views.

Chris Hurd August 22nd, 2008 10:27 AM

Just an FYI, work is underway to bring video hosting to DV Info Net (free, of course, to all registered members). Quality and ease of use to meet or exceed some of the other popular venues discussed around here.

Travis Cossel August 22nd, 2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 923488)
Just an FYI, work is underway to bring video hosting to DV Info Net (free, of course, to all registered members). Quality and ease of use to meet or exceed some of the other popular venues discussed around here.

That sounds pretty exciting!

Matthew Ebenezer August 22nd, 2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek (Post 923486)
Vimeo is def. a good choice. Like others have also talked about I have chosen to host my own videos as I often need something different each time. Hosting my own allows me to play with the bit rates, resolutions and more. If you have a wordpress blog I have written a plugin that makes it easy to post FLV and .mp4 files as well as track the number of views.

Hmmm ... I'm using Wordpress for my blog and I'd be interested to get my hands on this, especially if it had the capability to display a thumbnail.

The one downside to Vimeo is there doesn't seem to be a way to track separate plays from my blog and Vimeo - it counts them all ....

Josh Chesarek August 23rd, 2008 11:08 AM

Download the plugin and give it a go. Any questions just post on the site or email me through the forum and I will help when I can. I am also on AIM most of the time with the screen name of canmanjc.

One of the biggest features of my plugin is the Simple Stats package.

Here is a demo of what the stats package can do :)

All the videos on Simple Thought Productions are done through my plugin :)

Bruce Patterson August 23rd, 2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Kyser (Post 923245)
I see many people upload videos to Vimeo, is this the best place to upload videos. I dont like the way Youtube looks, and I want to do wide screen.

I dont mind doing my homework in learning the best way to show videos online but hoping someone can get me headed in the right directions.

If Vimeo is a good option, what size and format is best to upload for widescreen?

Thanks

I'd second/third/fourth/etc. that Vimeo is a great choice and one that we'll likely be moving to next. My only complaint with Vimeo is that the clips I've seen usually stutter a little when they first start playback.

The method I've always used has really worked well for me if you're not sure you want to move to Vimeo on your site don't want the "Vimeo" name on your site, etc.), then the method I've been using to date has worked well for me. This is what I usually do:

1. De-interlace the sequence in FCP
2. Export a 400x225 quicktime file
3. Drop that file into Adobe Flash Encoder (CS3) @ 1500 kbps
4. Upload with my ftp client
5. Generate the code with Free Video Codes - Video Code Maker - Free Html Codes
6. C&P the code into a blog post

I hope that helps!

Danny O'Neill August 24th, 2008 02:16 AM

Bruce, the stuttering for me only happend on the laptop. The PC with its awersome power seems to play the HD movies fine but on the laptop they stutter while they download, it seems downloading and playing is all too much for the thing.

SD movies are fine. LEt it download then play and its also fine. For me anyway.

Fred Todisco August 24th, 2008 02:10 PM

On Line Video

So far I am satisfied with Vimeo please look at link.

Bride Prep 1 HD on Vimeo

Thanks

John Moon August 24th, 2008 05:44 PM

I recently started using blip.tv (beta) This works well with Wordpress and automatically converts the video to flash. So far it seems to run smooth.

Another favorite of mine is ExposureRoom - Providing Exposure & Opportunity for Talent