DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Greece Wedding Trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/129398-greece-wedding-trailer.html)

Kevin Shahinian September 5th, 2008 11:09 AM

Greece Wedding Trailer

I'm continually humbled by all of your work. I finally dare to post a clip of our own. A Hollywood-inspired 'movie trailer' for a destination wedding we shot in Santorini, Greece last summer.

Enjoy: Santorini Wedding Trailer on Vimeo

Kiflom Bahta September 5th, 2008 04:09 PM

Very nice shots,

Pete Cofrancesco September 5th, 2008 04:23 PM

I'm a tough critic but, wow, I liked everything about it, the music, the cuts, the concept of a Hollywood trailer, the personal little segments mixed in, the pacing, and the over length, by that I mean its just long enough to show us what to expect from a wedding done by you but not too long to bore us.

Matthew Ebenezer September 5th, 2008 08:51 PM

Hi Kevin,

What I liked about it most was that it had a movie trailer feel but the music wasn't the usual 'over the top totally epic going into battle' style. The music suited the footage well.

Great location too!

Carl Wilky September 5th, 2008 09:45 PM

I agree the music wasn't over the top at all and felt like a real Hollywood trailer. The only critic i would say, which isn't much, but i would either tame down the flare on the titles toward the end or just remove it all together and replace it with a glow effect.

Nice job though.

Kevin Shahinian September 7th, 2008 09:54 AM

HD version now online

Wow! Thank you all for watching.

Just swapped in the HD version. Enjoy!

Santorini Wedding Trailer on Vimeo

Mary Angelini September 8th, 2008 06:30 AM

Kevin, I am humbled by your work.
You music was perfect, What did you use to edited them all within one another? I am always looking for better 'movie trailer' music. Where did you find yours?

Kevin Shahinian September 8th, 2008 01:39 PM

Music selection & editing

Thanks, Mary. I've been a collector of film scores for years. I'm always looking online for new stuff too; iTunes is one of my first stops. Music selection is its own art that, like any, starts with your own instinct.

Music editing for me is as much about the "when" as it is the "how;" trying to locate the perfect point in a given track to make a smooth transition; and using tricks like source to score for dramatic effect. As a student of the art, a good ear & lots of practice helps.

Mary Angelini September 8th, 2008 03:31 PM

[QUOTE="....trying to locate the perfect point in a given track to make a smooth transition; and using tricks like source to score for dramatic effect."[/QUOTE]

Kevin you lost me at "source to score". (I even Googled it) I was wondering what program you used to edit the music.

Kevin Shahinian September 8th, 2008 03:45 PM

Source to score

Source: coming from within the scene; music the actors/characters can hear (ie: like a song on the radio).

Score: existing outside of the scene; music only the audience can hear.

One of my favorite transitions: Source to Score / Score to Source.

Kevin Shahinian September 8th, 2008 03:52 PM

Nle

We use CS3 with Audition. Fyi: Pro Tools by Digidesign is generally the go-to app. for sound in the film/tv/music industry.

Mary Angelini September 9th, 2008 07:43 AM

ah Ha! Thanks for filling me in. The more you know... The more you know, you don't know...

I was hoping your were going to say garage band...

Oleg Kalyan September 9th, 2008 10:32 AM

Kevin, good work you've done on a trailer, really enjoyed it!
the live intercuts were on a spot, I felt it was a little short, would've love to see some more
wedding details.

PS
I was at Santorini couple of years ago, for a wedding, off course : )...
amazing place, BTW did you go to all parts of the island? There is a part with a black sand, very unusual. Interesting, they say it's a place where famous Atlantida civilization used to be before the famous end of the world that destroyed it, according to Platon...

Kevin Shahinian September 10th, 2008 10:51 AM

I arrived a day early, hopped on a moped and was able to get around most of the island. (It's bigger than it looks). An A1 in-tow made the ride more interesting ;) Yes, the beaches are amazing! Perivolas was my favorite. We included a brief 'Santorini Island Tour' in the first few minutes of the film... The response from the trailer has been great so we may post that next. Stay tuned!

Emily Howlett September 10th, 2008 06:18 PM

Hi Kevin
That was really cool! Awesome location and you defintately did it justice. I would go see that movie!! :P
Emily