DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   24p Low Light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/136280-24p-low-light.html)

Daniel Fessak October 19th, 2008 09:40 AM

24p Low Light

So I need to get a camera that shoots 24p, but it has to shoot well in low light situations and have XLR inputs. Any suggestions? My price range is around $3000 and I also want a great picture when not shooting in 24p (obviously). ANy help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Perrone Ford October 19th, 2008 10:02 AM

Panasonic hmc150. It does all you want, and it's as close in price as you are going to find.

Noa Put October 19th, 2008 01:39 PM

Include the Canon xh-a1 and i guess that's about it in the pricerange for camera's with xlr inputs and 24p possibility.

Andrew Wheatley October 19th, 2008 05:48 PM

You should also look at the Sony Z7...or the cheaper Z7. These cameras shoot real 24p unlike the canon 24F. Also these cameras are great in low light almost back to the level of the PD170, especially in 24p mode they really suck the light in.

I have the Z7 and love it, it is a great camera. One of my friends has an A1 and since seeing the Z7 is considering swapping across to it.

Daniel Fessak October 19th, 2008 06:50 PM

What about ease of use? I'm an editor first, camera man second, so I don't really want something I'm going to have to take a long time to learn how to use or get comfortable with.

Daniel Fessak October 19th, 2008 06:54 PM

I just looked at the Sony. I saw some test footage that looks really good, but it doesn't seem to have xlr and over $5000.

Noa Put October 20th, 2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Wheatley (Post 953137)
These cameras shoot real 24p unlike the canon 24F.

Canon's 24f is just as real as the other camera's 24p, it is true progressive and not interlace

Noa Put October 20th, 2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak (Post 953158)
What about ease of use? I'm an editor first, camera man second, so I don't really want something I'm going to have to take a long time to learn how to use or get comfortable with.

Any camera in the 3000 + range will take a lot of time to get comfortable with, if you want ease of use then it's better to get a Canon HV30 and only use the record button. :) Good camera skills are the very basics of every quality production, good editing can lift that to a higher level but if your camera footage is crap, not even the best editor wizard can save that.

Shaun Conner October 20th, 2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 953265)
Any camera in the 3000 + range will take a lot of time to get comfortable with, if you want ease of use then it's better to get a Canon HV30 and only use the record button. :) Good camera skills are the very basics of every quality production, good editing can lift that to a higher level but if your camera footage is crap, not even the best editor wizard can save that.

So true. So true.

Daniel Fessak October 20th, 2008 09:41 AM

I know how to use a camera, I just mean I don't want to get a new camera a week before I need to use it and I have a try to figure out how to navigate a bunch or menus in order to change something basic.

Carl Wilky October 21st, 2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 953248)
Canon's 24f is just as real as the other camera's 24p, it is true progressive and not interlace

I second this notion.

Shawn Kessler October 22nd, 2008 06:24 PM

lighting fans

Im going to be purchasing a light kit soon and I was wonder how
you guys deal with the fans on some of the light kits out there?
curious to see how you deal with it when making your films.Im
considering the kit below.

Thanks
shawn

2000 Watt Digital Video Continuous Lighting Kit SoftBox - eBay (item 310092937993 end time Oct-27-08 16:00:11 PDT)

Noa Put October 23rd, 2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak (Post 953342)
I know how to use a camera, I just mean I don't want to get a new camera a week before I need to use it and I have a try to figure out how to navigate a bunch or menus in order to change something basic.

Then certainly don't buy a canon xh-a1, I was lucky that I have a rocket science degree. :)

Compared to my dvx100 the xh-a1 has a much steeper learing curve.

Daniel Fessak October 23rd, 2008 08:51 AM

I have a Canon now, don't like the menus. Took me forever to figure out how to adjust the gain.

Ethan Cooper October 23rd, 2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler (Post 954358)
Im going to be purchasing a light kit soon and I was wonder how
you guys deal with the fans on some of the light kits out there?
curious to see how you deal with it when making your films.Im
considering the kit below.

I've never encountered a light kit with fans. I'm not exactly sure who makes one with them. Honestly, if you're looking at buying some lights and they have some type of cooling fan built in, avoid them at all costs. The noise will drive you nuts.

That being said, that's certainly an impressively low price on those ebay lights. Do they have a fan? I need to take another look at the ad.