Video On Website at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video On Website

Hey all...

What format/video player do people use for the samples on their websites. I use quicktime, though not thrilled about the compressions.

I have been coming across this thing called the JW Player on sites a lot and the video it plays looks pretty good and loads quickly. Anyone use it or know anything about it? Or any other video format that they can recommend that they are happy with?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Major Player

I started using that a few months ago and I'm very happy with it.

I use Flix to convert my files to flash
On2 Flix Standard - Flash Video Encoding Software for Windows and Mac OS

and then use this code to post the player on each page
Setup Wizard

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Trustee

I use JW Player for Quicktime right now. I'd strongly recommend you pay the $20 or so to legally license it, since it's only free for noncommercial use.

We're considering switching to WMV with a Silverlight player during our next site upgrade. I realize Silverlight does not have the penetration of Flash, but there are other "political" reasons behind our switch.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm using vimeo. No complaints here.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Stictly for quality, you cannot beat wmv players. Unfortunately flash players are so much easier for me to configure within dreamweaver than other.

If you use dreamweaver for your website, a flash player with built-in skins is already available to you.

The JW player is probably the most widely used third-party flash player on the planet. You can't go wrong with it.

BTW, JW has a WMV player, but I'm sure you already know that.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Really? I have never liked the Windows Media player. Very choppy, video lags, 90% of the time the color looks washed out.
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

With .wmv files, you're eliminating any Mac users from being able to see your videos.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Smyth View Post
With .wmv files, you're eliminating any Mac users from being able to see your videos.
agreed..

Personally, I think flash is the way to go to reach the masses. btw, have any of you looked at youtube lately? The have gone 16x9. Not saying I would use it... but they look like they are on the right track. Some videos have a 'watch in high quality' which looks pretty darn good (depending on the initial source...)
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
Really? I have never liked the Windows Media player. Very choppy, video lags, 90% of the time the color looks washed out.
Playback of wmv or flash has nothing to do with format, but your pc or the site using it. No offense, but that should be common sense. People uploading wmv files often use incorrect file sizes and bit rates. Flv converters often set these settings automatically therefore the playback will be better. Quality isn't better, but playback is better, but again its not because of the format.

I've uploaded and tested dozens if not hundreds of videos using both. Wmv files almost perfectly match the original files, flv videos are darker and have poorer contrast. That is a look we are accustomed to, and that further adds to the perception that wmv files look "washed out". Often the original videos are poor to begin with, and the lower contrast inherent in flash videos compensate for this.

The worst thing about FLV files IMO is the way they deal with motion. Many advertisements are now shot specifically to deal with this issue. This issue is almost non-existent with wmv files.

Many macs have wmv players. If your customer base are brides-to-be, most view videos at work and are not on Macs anyway.

I can tell you that reaction to my videos was much more dramatic when I used wmv files, they looked amazing. With flash they just don't pop.

If you have a good looking video to begin with and use correct bit rates, etc., wmv video will be better every time. If your videos are washed out to begin with, then using flash for video to compensate I suppose is one way to do it.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 27th, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Smyth View Post
Not even close to accurate. Many Macs have wmv players, and if they don't they can download one. Flash definitely has higher market penetration, particularly for Macs, and I personally use it on my website, but only because it is easier to configure within Dreamweaver.
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bishop View Post
I started using that a few months ago and I'm very happy with it.

I use Flix to convert my files to flash
On2 Flix Standard - Flash Video Encoding Software for Windows and Mac OS

and then use this code to post the player on each page
Setup Wizard

Matt
I used to use Flix to produce Flash files too (played back with the JW Player embedded on my website) until I realised the Flash v.10 (the current version) plays H.264 files - which you can encode with the (cheap) Quicktime Pro (or even better from Compressor, if you're a Mac house).

Looks better than any Flix produced .flv files, I find. (See my website - not a blatant plug, but a genuine offer of samples - those are all Quicktime Pro encoded H.264 files played back with the JW player using Flash v.10 - and they work on just about any flavour of PC and browser.) Good filesize/quality/download-bitrate ratios too!
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Major Player

I use the JW FLV player on my site primarily with h.264 content. I used to use FLV but I havent in the last few months.

Demo Video
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Vimeo. Nothing else comes close.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Vimeo. Nothing else comes close.
. . . unless you want to upload commercial content, in which case you can't use it :-(

From a quality viewpoint it is great, which is why I considered using it for the clips on my website - but any promotional material is forbidden, so that's out.

And to comment on some of the Windows Media observations . . .

Absolutely no quibbles with the quality of wmv - playback performance, colour reproduction, all seem miles ahead of anything else (to me). However, I have had issues with some - note, some not all - Mac users being unable to view wmv files. Also a few snags with Firefox users - again, only some. Mac and Firefox users combined account for around 6% of visitors to my site and they are given alternatives if they can't see the video. I was going to convert all the clips to Flash but I'm not so sure that 6% of my audience can justify it (apologies to the 6%!).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Vimeo is the way to go... It's a great flash player thats easy to embed on your site. You can easily change the settings (ie. Different color font, changing the initial picture, privacy controls, and size). I messed around with loading QT videos onto my site, but that was a huge pain in the a** for everyone. For me and the viewer.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques