DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   60i better for weddings where you plan on using a lot of slow mo? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/139090-60i-better-weddings-where-you-plan-using-lot-slow-mo.html)

Arif Syed December 6th, 2008 03:55 PM

60i better for weddings where you plan on using a lot of slow mo?

or is the difference negligible compared to 24f?

Joel Peregrine December 6th, 2008 05:28 PM

Hi Arif,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arif Syed (Post 973960)
or is the difference negligible compared to 24f?

The difference is huge. For me at least for slow motion, 24 is unusable, 30p is ok, and 60i is the best option, but you lose at least a stop of light sensitivity shooting at 60i compared to 30. For low-light shooting 24f is the best option, for slow motion 60i works best and 30p is the compromise. Best advice is to do some tests and use your own tastes.

Luke Oliver December 7th, 2008 08:20 AM

re

i know this might sound stupid but how do u shoot 30p i only have a 25p option on my sony hvr v1?? if im not shooting 25p does this mean im shooting 50i, it that the best option for slow motion, sorry for sounding amature but i am

Tripp Woelfel December 7th, 2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine (Post 973985)
For me at least for slow motion, 24 is unusable...

I'd agree, unless you have After Effects. The TimeWarp effect can do a great job of "tweening" frames with pixel motion. Yes, it's a long render and can go full on barking with some shots with fast action but when it works it's brilliant.

Joel's recommendation of experimenting with your different options is a good one.

Tripp Woelfel December 7th, 2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Oliver (Post 974154)
i know this might sound stupid but how do u shoot 30p i only have a 25p option on my sony hvr v1?? if im not shooting 25p does this mean im shooting 50i, it that the best option for slow motion, sorry for sounding amature but i am

Don't worry. We were all there once.

Since you live where PAL is the television standard, you have the options of 50i or 25p. Here in the States with NTSC, we have 60i and 30p for broadcast. Camera manufacturers have included 24p as an option to match film speed.

25p is 25 frames per second captured one full frame at a time (progressive). 50i is 50 fields (roughly every other scan line in a frame, so it's half vertical resolution) per second.

You might want to spend some time on wikipedia reading up on frame rates and TV standards. It's rather critical to understand the "back story" on this topic in order to make intelligent choices when choosing shooting frame rates.

Stephen J. Williams December 7th, 2008 11:05 AM

I love the look that i get from my DVX100... shooting in 24p is much better then 60i. The slowmotion is below par... So my thought was to just switch over to 60i when I feel there is a shot worthy of slowmotion. Since the DVX records 24p at 29.97 on the tape (sounds weird, i know)... There wouldn't be a difference between the two when uploading onto my computer. Right??? I've yet to try this out.

Luke Oliver December 8th, 2008 10:20 AM

re

tanks for the info , ill try some test, i have also yet to try optical flow in motion i heard that is awsome

John Stakes December 8th, 2008 10:48 AM

If you shoot 60i and 24p on the same tape, I assume you will have to capture the clips onto seperate timelines?

Luke Oliver December 8th, 2008 11:45 AM

re

im getting confused again now

Matthew Craggs December 8th, 2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stakes (Post 974663)
If you shoot 60i and 24p on the same tape, I assume you will have to capture the clips onto seperate timelines?

I admit I have never worked with 24p footage, but if the footage is pulled down to 29.97 on the tape then I would think that there would be no difference on account of the 24 frames being turned into 29.97 in camera. It would be no different than shooting on film and then transferring it to tape, right?

John Moon December 8th, 2008 01:49 PM

You might also try Twixtor to address slow mo. This is a great plugin. RE:Vision Effects, Inc. : Products: Twixtor

J.J. Kim December 8th, 2008 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Moon (Post 974774)
You might also try Twixtor to address slow mo. This is a great plugin. RE:Vision Effects, Inc. : Products: Twixtor

I use Twixtor and it works great with 60i and ok with 30p, but 24p footages, I have failed big time with slow-mos... i am using Adobe CS3, btw.

Luke Oliver December 9th, 2008 01:12 PM

twixtor

hello, can u help , i have just purchased twixtor and revieved my pass code ( 2 days after) but where the hell do u enter it, i keep getting the big red cross cause i had the demo previous??

anyone???

Tom Hardwick December 10th, 2008 11:43 AM

I'm with Joel. 50i for me in PAL land, then I can vary the slo-mo speed in post and get the smoothest overall look.