DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Any "tricks of the trade" you want to share? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/141179-any-tricks-trade-you-want-share.html)

Kelsey Emuss January 8th, 2009 05:56 PM

Any "tricks of the trade" you want to share?

I'm new at this so I don't have much to contribute...but one product that I have and Love is my Lens Pen. It has a hard felt/rubber like piece on one end to really clean your len and a soft brush on the other end to "dust" off your lens.

Any things you can't live without?

Joe Allen Rosenberger January 8th, 2009 06:09 PM

My in car navigator or shoot days!

Vito DeFilippo January 8th, 2009 06:09 PM

Electrical tape for quickly taping mics to podium stands.

Leatherman tool for fixing stuff on the go.

Don Bloom January 8th, 2009 07:50 PM

gaffers tape to fix everything from A to Z including my pants not long ago (don't ask)
my GPS, my large coffee and my cigarettes ;-)

Oh yeah I also can't be without my cameras and other associated gear when I shoot a wedding

Don

Chris P. Jones January 8th, 2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss (Post 991531)
Any things you can't live without?

My 2nd shooter Kourtney :->. Sometimes I shoot alone, but it's always more fun when working with another.

jones

Josh Swan January 8th, 2009 08:38 PM

I wouldn't leave home without my bogen monopod

Vito DeFilippo January 8th, 2009 09:24 PM

A friend of mine who shoots as well has an interesting take on this. He always packs multiple small items that could be of use to the client. Things like bandaids, safety pins, a mini sewing kit, etc.

He says he can't count how many times he comes off as a hero when some little disaster strikes and he's there with the fix.

Dawn Brennan January 8th, 2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 991628)
A friend of mine who shoots as well has an interesting take on this. He always packs multiple small items that could be of use to the client. Things like bandaids, safety pins, a mini sewing kit, etc.

I do this too! Started it last year and its amazing how many times I have had to restock my supplies because they are used! People remember that sort of thing too... and for some reason this year, I have had the majority of bride's bustle break part way through the reception. I have saved the day on a bunch of them!

To answer the original question... I can't do without my GPS because my sense of direction sucks, my LitePanels and my backup Sony HDR-HC3... just recently I had to use it!

Peter Manojlovic January 8th, 2009 11:18 PM

Duct tape..

Oh yeah, and a spare shirt!!!
'Cause you never know....

Patrick Moreau January 8th, 2009 11:36 PM

A great team that inspires you.

P.

Jaron Tauch January 9th, 2009 12:50 AM

Dental wax for setting up ring shots, I also always keep a few extra tripod plates in the car. I like the idea of having a small sewing/ safety kit as that would have came in handy more than a few times in the past year.

Bruce Patterson January 9th, 2009 12:51 AM

The best "trick" I would say is to make sure you leave NOTHING left to prepare on the actual day of the shoot. I make sure everything is out and ready including shirts ironed the day before. I've been burned a few times with small, missing items and hate the stress of a last-minute Home Depot run on the way to a shoot! :)

Asvaldur Kristjansson January 9th, 2009 06:56 AM

Charged battery and fresh in for the wireless stuff. Plenty of new batteries and tapes. Always have a backup audio because people will tolerate bad or poorly lit image if the audio is good.

Tim Harjo January 9th, 2009 07:08 AM

yes... Speak softly and carry a big stick... ;)

Bring your lens cloth and keep it on you to keep your lens clean.

Noel Lising January 9th, 2009 08:40 AM

This is my comfort zone:

1. Head Cleaning Tape
2. Extra tapes
3. A box full of connectors ( BNC to rca, XLR M-F, F-M, etc. But that's just being me having come from an AV background).
4. 1- 100 foot extension cord, 2 -25 ft extension cord & 1 100 feet RCA to RCA cable
5. Gaffer tape