DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Can anyone identify this transition effect? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/141355-can-anyone-identify-transition-effect.html)

Peter Rush January 11th, 2009 06:03 AM

Can anyone identify this transition effect?

Hi all...

I've seen this really simple but cool transition effect af few times but is seems to be used a lot on the BBC News 'Click' program. You can see this by following the link below and clicking the 'Watch Now' button.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Click

You can see a high quality version at the iPlayer by following the clip below (this link will only work for 7 days though)

BBC iPlayer - Click: 10/01/2009

It's fairly simple in that it sort of blooms all the whites in the 'A' clip to white and then does the reverse into the 'B' clip. I use Premiere Pro and it's a little like the additive dissolve but much more intense.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Tripp Woelfel January 11th, 2009 08:54 AM

I'm curious about this myself. I know the effect is a glow that's available in MBL and Boris but I've not kitted it up as a transition. I think it's a bit overused lately.

As an aside, I really liked the little PackMan graphic in the report. Don't think the US networks would ever do something like this.

Steve House January 11th, 2009 09:24 AM

Sony Vegas also has this in the dissolve section of its transition effects using the "Additive Dissolve" preset. I think you can get the intensity of the BBC version by pushing the levels up during the dissolve.

Richard Wakefield January 11th, 2009 09:26 AM

god if i earnt a pound/dollar for everytime i see this asked....

blow out the whites (with PPro levels), and add blur and saturation accordingly

OR if you want to cheat:

- (PPro) New Blue Art Blends (Transitions) - 'Shiny Fog' (Glow preset) - www.newbluefx.com/art-blends-2.html
- (AE) Bloom transition - www.videocopilot.net/presets/bloom_transition/

Phil Burton January 11th, 2009 10:05 AM

Peter, all those mentioned are plug-ins. Another one is Vitascene from ProDAD

proDAD - Vitascene -- Video Effects And Transitions which now comes with Edius 5.

Like any effect use sparingly.

Peter Rush January 11th, 2009 10:23 AM

Thanks folks

Thanks everyone - A combination of Premiere's additive dissolve and keyframed levels and blur works a treat - I'll only use it for a couple of sequences I've got in mind so I probably won't buy a plugin. Plus I think I can achieve the same using my Matrox plugins so I won't need to render.

Pete

Steve Shovlar January 11th, 2009 03:31 PM

I'll tell you exactly what it is. Its FX Factory Pro 2 Glow Dissolve, by Idustrial revolution.(Noise Industries)

Fantastic set of plugin filters for the mac, but not cheap. BBC have been using these for a few months.

Glow Dissolve

Unfortunately the 140 filters cost £269 or $399.

Alex Sprinkle January 12th, 2009 04:30 PM

and for those on FCP

If anyone else needs this for FCP, check out Eureka's free filters. It's called Vapor Across.