DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Establishing Shots 1 Camcorder gigs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/144758-establishing-shots-1-camcorder-gigs.html)

Monday Isa February 27th, 2009 01:24 PM

Establishing Shots 1 Camcorder gigs

For those who do single camcorder weddings, when do you get the establishing shots of the church building/reception building? I've really suffered in this area as things run behind schedule and it slips my mind more than half the time. When I do these shots typically it's a quick 5 second record, but I want that extra time to get a better solid shot. I know by doing 2 or more camcorder gigs you have a worker get these shots. I'd like to hear from those who run single camcorder events. Thanks

Monday

Peter Rush February 27th, 2009 01:48 PM

Get there early if you can (I rarely film bride or groom getting ready) - I like to get there an hour before the ceremony starts - that give me about 20-30 minutes to get establishing shots and cutaways before people start to show up - It's pretty hair raising shooting on your own but I enjoy it!

Stelios Christofides February 27th, 2009 01:57 PM

Monday, what an unusual name and so sweet. Anyway I am also a single camcorder wedding person and as Peter said I get there early for my shots but also during the wedding you can take other shots cutaways as you guys say it and at the reception also by getting there 15-20 minutes earlier you can take whatever you want.BUT the most important thing of all is that you must ENJOY what you are doing and have FUN as well. It might not sound professional but your peace of mind and your attitude makes all the difference.

Stelios

Noel Lising February 27th, 2009 02:02 PM

Hello Monday,

You don't necessarily have to shoot establishing shots before the ceremony. It is usually tight between Bride House & Church. You can shoot the facade, cut aways when the couple are doing their formal photos inside the church.

My 2 cents.

Don Bloom February 27th, 2009 02:05 PM

generally before the ceremony but if time is really tight then I get them after the photo session on my way out to the next location

Monday Isa February 27th, 2009 02:09 PM

Appreciate the input guys. I don't think though I expressed my question well at all. When doing Quinceanera's you're on your toes from start to finish. Sometimes there's nice breaks where I can get the establishing shot of the church/reception I need. Other times which are more numerous now, everything runs behind schedule. When against time I sometimes forget the establishing shot of the building needed. This is from prep to church to park to recep. I guess I'd have to get to both places early take the shot and then head to the prep, but I wanted to get an idea of what other people are doing to get these shots.

Monday

Monday Isa February 27th, 2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 1019539)
Hello Monday,

You don't necessarily have to shoot establishing shots before the ceremony. It is usually tight between Bride House & Church. You can shoot the facade, cut aways when the couple are doing their formal photos inside the church.

My 2 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1019540)
generally before the ceremony but if time is really tight then I get them after the photo session on my way out to the next location

Good point. Didn't think about that. Thanks Noel & Don.

Monday

Warren Kawamoto February 28th, 2009 12:15 PM

How about starting your own "stock footage library?" I have a collection of outdoor establishing shots for every church and hotel location we've worked in. Each location has morning and afternoon, sunny and cloudy establishing shots. I even have some Christmas/non Christmas shots of hotel fronts. These were shot when we have time, then added to the collection. Like you said, many times there isn't time to shoot these. But when you do have time, do some really nice cuts and save it for a later project.

Monday Isa February 28th, 2009 10:52 PM

Very good idea Warren. I have done that in the past. This year and last year is very strange as I have not had a repeat church or reception. I do reuse limousine shots. The client never knows. :) Then again maybe now they can find out searching for me :/