Influential Wedding Videographer - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #61
Major Player

David is great, he was a revolutionary in a way, someone who developed
Videography into an art form as we know it.
I can tell so many people, myself followed his work in Russia for years.

""It was because of Dave we went for a Glidecam and never looked back (just forwards and at a shiny new Steadicam)""

Yes, but some of us are going back to tripod and handheld, slider, and it's all great :)
Variety is the must!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #62
Major Player

oh we use all that too. well, not handheld but on a spider brace.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Just watched SODE Production's 'Save the Date' videos, I vote for them! ^0^ The shots, color grading and the 'chemistry' are top notch!
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #64
Major Player

I would think that there isn't any rhyme or reason to the Top 25. Everyone is on the list for different reasons and the word 'influential' is possibly the key. I can't speak for anyone other than myself but the people I voted for were the ones that had influenced me the most, whether that was through their actual work or other ways that they contribute to the industry.

How do you measure who is the best anyway? Number of weddings per year? Price per wedding? Turnover per year? Number of years in the industry? I don't think there's any benchmark. There's most likely some videographer out there churning out 100 low-budget, low-quality weddings per year and making more money than anyone. Does that make the 'sausage factory' videographer better? There might be a videographer out there charging $20K+ per wedding and doing 3 per year. Who does the most SDE's? Who uses the most cameras? Who uses the least cameras? Who's the best left-handed shooter? Who can handhold a Steadicam Merlin+fully-loaded-XHA1 for the longest while balancing on one leg?

See what I mean ... :)

Influence, while ambiguous, is possibly the best measuring stick. That's how I looked at the 2007 Top 25 list when I stumbled across it - i.e. these are the people shaping the industry and influencing its future, whatever the reason is that they made the list.

From my perspective, I'm stoked that some random guy from a small town in regional Australia who hasn't shot many weddings (and certainly hasn't made much money from it) can make it onto such a list. How and why did this guy make the list? No idea. But I think it says a lot for the exciting future of our industry that it was even possible.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
Influence, while ambiguous, is possibly the best measuring stick. That's how I looked at the 2007 Top 25 list when I stumbled across it - i.e. these are the people shaping the industry and influencing its future, whatever the reason is that they made the list.
Agree 100% on the 'influence' point :D
Pardon me, I just can't help myself to praise those videos :D
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I know Jason Magbanua does 100 weddings a year at $ 3500 a pop. This is really high end considering the average income is $ 300/month back home. 3 shooters, SDE. So my Philippine standard Jmags is a multi-millionaire around 15M. Sorry Jmags =)

Still Motion I think is $ 4,500 with 40 weddings? They are being selective I think. 3 shooters no SDE

It's just an estimate.
That's why he is always smiling :)
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
Oleg will be on the list next year. Book it :)
Oleg will also be a featured speaker @ Re:Frame San Francisco this October - it's his ONLY North American speaking engagement! Don't miss it! Re:Frame Collective Website
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #68
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I wonder if Chris H would be so kind enough to come out with our very own DVI top 30 list, we can send in our votes.
I view this with mixed feelings. Sure it would be nice to have the recognitions but there is also a dark side. It isn't a pleasant site to watch people jockeying for position. This can even cause the camaraderie of the forum to break down. As it is now, there is a "natural" recognition among peers. If someone is good, it shows and they are recognized, albeit informally, by their peers. If there were to be a DVINFO Top 25 (or whatever), the not so pleasant side of some people would become apparent. Some would be motivated to lobby and inflict various forms of manipulative slime to get the recognition so they can plaster the accolade on their website. Some people deserve and graciously receive accolades but others are self serving and even ruthless.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques