DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Can You Make It To The Rehearsal? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/207170-can-you-make-rehearsal.html)

Michelle Genrich April 17th, 2009 05:08 AM

Can You Make It To The Rehearsal?

How do you respond when asked to attend the rehearsal because the B/G will be more comfortable if you're there? Although they don't intend on paying and you've either met them already or have done extensive planning with them over the phone and/or email if they're coming in from an out of state location.

Chris Davis April 17th, 2009 06:08 AM

Do you mean they just kind of sprang this on you ("By the way, you'll be at our rehersal tomorrow night, won't you?") If that's the case, I'd quote them my hourly rate.

If it's far ahead in the planning process, we would negotiate on a price for the package that would include attending the rehersal.

They do have a point. You will most likely shoot better video if you attend the rehersal.

I think in this case, you might just end up being there and not getting paid in the interest of good customer service. In the future, make rehersal attendence part of your negotiation on price.

Alan Craig April 17th, 2009 06:56 AM

It is always advisable to attend the rehearsal especially if you have not filmed in that church before and get to know the layout and and ask the Vicar or Priest or whoever will be conducting the ceremony where you can and cannot film from and anything else that might be peculiar to that particular wedding you will also find out who is going to be doing recitals or whatever and where from you need to know the format otherwise it could be one frustrating cockup on the day.

Alan

Kelsey Emuss April 17th, 2009 07:11 AM

I never say that I will ABSOLUTELY attend. I tell people that I don't commit to attend rehearsals because I may end up booking another gig for that night.

BUT, if I'm free it's convienient etc I go for free because it is to MY benefit as well.

I don't ususally regret going.

Jawad Mir April 17th, 2009 10:31 AM

I agree. Never promise that you will attend but make an effort to go there despite the fact that they don't pay you. Few reasons for that

1. Makes you look professional
2. You get an idea of the church
3. You get to network on a rather relaxed day with possible brides and grooms that you may not on wedding day
4. People will remember you more.

Hope this helps:)

Michelle Genrich April 17th, 2009 11:10 AM

Rehearsal distance

If you're doing good customer relations and it IS convenient, what would be the limit you'd drive to do this service? 60 miles? 120 miles?

Dave Blackhurst April 17th, 2009 01:01 PM

You raise an issue that would affect being able to do this. I always like to be there for the rehearsal if possible as it helps you plan out the shoot, BUT... if you're shooting the next day, and there's an hour of transit or more each way PLUS the hang time at the actual rehearsal, how much will that affect you the next day when you want to be "live and fresh" (with another hour + drive to the location?).

I think it might be appropriate to ask if they would be willing to pay for a night at a decent hotel and perhaps a meal or two (or one more seat at the rehearsal dinner), and explain the logistics... I'm presuming the rehearsal is the night before and the wedding the next day, but if that were the case and there's travel involved, it seems like a reasonable request.

You wouldn't be charging for time per se (you already factored in any travel time, right?), but it might make for a nice mini vacation, which if there's no conflict with any other scheuled event might make the actual shoot easier too.

I'd have to pass on attending something that would take 3-5 hours with a lot of travel time the night before the shoot - I usually am using that time to double check and prep gear.

I'd sum it up that if attending the reception shortchanges the day of the shoot, you should explain how that would affect the situation, and look for a economical solution. I'd expect that you'd find the couple to be understanding and appreciate your professionalism!

Warren Kawamoto April 17th, 2009 01:24 PM

I don't attend rehearsals. What I do instead is go to the ceremony a little early, then have the couple brief me so I know where everyone will be positioned and what will happen. I talk with the best man and let him know where I'm going to be so he doesn't block my shot. All this can be done in about a minute, no need to waste several hours on a rehearsal.

Chris Davis April 17th, 2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Genrich (Post 1104546)
If you're doing good customer relations and it IS convenient, what would be the limit you'd drive to do this service? 60 miles? 120 miles?

It sounds like you're talking about a specific circumstance you are in right now. Why so coy? Give us the details!

Michelle Genrich April 17th, 2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 1105114)
It sounds like you're talking about a specific circumstance you are in right now. Why so coy? Give us the details!

Not in a circumstance. Honestly, I'm just curious. Call me an over-thinker.

Chris Davis April 17th, 2009 05:49 PM

Since it hasn't happened yet, don't let it be a surprise. Make it part of the service/price negotiation. Either include it in your package price, or list it as an add-on. But certainly don't leave it unmentioned.

Travis Cossel April 17th, 2009 06:43 PM

I prefer to attend rehearsal on my own terms. I do have an option for rehearsal 'coverage', but otherwise attendance is up to me. In the earlier years of my business it benefited me to go every time, but I've been exposed to so many different locations and settings and couples that it's not critical now. I might still go if I've never seen the place, or if the couple is having a complicated ceremony.

The trouble is that I got stuck a few times. I show up 15 minutes early for the rehearsal, and yet usually a bunch of the family is 15-30 minutes late. Then another 15-20 minutes of chatting before things get rolling. Add it all up plus travel time and I realized I was spending 2-3 hours of my time for each rehearsal, and even had a few push 4 hours!

To answer the other question posed, I think anything approaching a 30-minute drive and over is asking too much if it's at no charge. Time is money, and gas costs money too.

Marion Abrams April 17th, 2009 07:04 PM

I find it incredibly helpful to attend the rehearsal. It helps me get a feel for the mood of the wedding, and scout any potential technical issues.

I factor that into the price I charge for wedding videos. My prices are higher than many of my local competitors.

Warren Kawamoto April 17th, 2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1104894)
I don't attend rehearsals. What I do instead is go to the ceremony a little early, then have the couple brief me so I know where everyone will be positioned and what will happen. I talk with the best man and let him know where I'm going to be so he doesn't block my shot. All this can be done in about a minute, no need to waste several hours on a rehearsal.

The reason why I don't attend rehearsals is because I once spent 2 or 3 hours at one, and got everything planned in my head. On the wedding day, their big floral arrangements threw all of my planning out the window. Since that day, I made it a point to get to the ceremony early and ask questions like: Will there be readings? Unity candle? Will the couple face the front or will they face the audience during the ceremony? Any surprises I should know about?
What's going to happen immediately after the ceremony is done?

Stephen J. Williams April 17th, 2009 07:59 PM

Another point to drive home why attending the rehearsal is so important.

Today I went to one... Pulled up to the church and found a beautiful old country style church with beautiful wooded doors... Surrounded by cherry blossom trees. Finally, something will make for a very pleasing backdrop.

There was a wedding just finishing up, so I wandering around planning my shots for tomorrow.... After about 30 minutes I noticed that there was another building, harsh and unattractive further behind the church. The building looked more like a small school then a church. I thought it might be the office's or some sort.
Anyways, It turns out thats where the wedding will be tomorrow. I was a little bummed that I'll be missing out the nicer looking version.

Long story short: I would have spent my entire time before the bridal party arrived filming the outside details of the wrong church....

Steve

Peter Manojlovic April 17th, 2009 08:58 PM

Ummmmmmm...

Yeah, i've been to rehearsals..But i get to kill two birds with one stone. How?

Because when you assemble an edit, it really looks cool matching the before and after scenes. You ending up mimicing something from the show "Cold Case"..But in a tastefull manner...

Hint, Hint....
Now go forth and mimic...(and don't forget to charge for it)

Nicholas Valentine April 17th, 2009 10:08 PM

I always go to the rehearsal. One of the very first weddings I did I did not go and I learned my lesson. But, I just got back from one tonight and I'm glad I went because I drew up a floor plan and measured the three aisles. The main aisle is only 44 inches wide and the two side ones are 29 inches. That's pretty tight and it'll be tough with our tripods. I've already had to nix the dolly for the ceremony because of the width. But now I know how things will play and how much space I have to play with for both cameras. I don't charge because it gives the B&G a better video because I know the lay of the land and how the game plan is, along with saving my butt from some possible X-factors like very narrow aisles.

Travis Cossel April 17th, 2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1106002)
The reason why I don't attend rehearsals is because I once spent 2 or 3 hours at one, and got everything planned in my head. On the wedding day, their big floral arrangements threw all of my planning out the window. Since that day, I made it a point to get to the ceremony early and ask questions like: Will there be readings? Unity candle? Will the couple face the front or will they face the audience during the ceremony? Any surprises I should know about?
What's going to happen immediately after the ceremony is done?

Another great point I forgot to mention. Quite a few times things have changed between rehearsal and ceremony that renders much of what I planned from the rehearsal moot. Case in point, I had a wedding on a lake beach where there was a long pier that stretched out behind the couple. They were getting married on the beach, though.

I decided to take one of my cameras handheld so I could be up close and not distracting. All the bridesmaids and groomsmen lined up on the beach, and then the couple went out onto the pier. Apparently this was decided last minute and no one bothered to tell me. So now I had to film them handheld from about 40-50 yards away. Very difficult!

Don't get me wrong, rehearsals can be great for planning, but just attend them on your own terms and be prepared for things not to go as rehearsed.