DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Advice for destination wedding in NYC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/207906-advice-destination-wedding-nyc.html)

Yang Wen April 17th, 2009 10:09 AM

Advice for destination wedding in NYC

Got a client who wants to fly me out to NYC to shoot a 2 day wedding event.. I've worked with his family before on previous weddings so we have good working relationship. However, I think a destination wedding in NYC will turn out to be way more work than it is worth..

Day one - events in downtown manhattan
Day two - events in queens..

I always work by myself.. the whole thought of transporting equipment, fighting the NYC traffic, and parking just makes me want to turn the gig down..

If they hired me for photo, I would definitely do it, with video, there's just too much equipment to carry..

Any NYC shooters here? Or anyone who has shot in NYC?

Edit: Also any suggestions you can make regarding shooting videos with pro equipment on the streets of Manhattan? Will I get harassed by cops?

Jawad Mir April 17th, 2009 10:21 AM

Hi Yang,
I can't help you much but can offer a little suggestion.

Sometimes, you have to pull your leg and give a little sacrifice ONLY BASED ON THE FACT that the gig can help you market yourself and end up getting gig more. I hate to work for money that's not worth it but if there is something that's out there that I think will make me stand out than others and get referrals, I will swallow the sour pill.

If it's a destination wedding, I think it will look good on your portfolio and you can show it off to your clients.

Just my two cents:)

Good luck.

Joel Peregrine April 17th, 2009 10:37 AM

Hi Yang,

Congrats on the opportunity! I felt the same way for a long time until I realized that its possible to travel and shoot by yourself if you rethink what equipment you need and how you shoot. I've been shipping my bulky gear ahead to the hotel I'm staying at and confirming that its arrived before I head out with my cameras in a carry-on. Concierges at better hotels are very familiar with this because its common for people setting up displays for trade-shows. A side benefit of thinking about traveling light was that it changed what I bring and how I pack it to local shoots. This forum is a great resource:

Home, Away From Home - The Digital Video Information Network

The bottom line though is the bottom line - make sure you get paid for the hassle of traveling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1104316)
Got a client who wants to fly me out to NYC to shoot a 2 day wedding event.. I've worked with his family before on previous weddings so we have good working relationship. However, I think a destination wedding in NYC will turn out to be way more work than it is worth..

Day one - events in downtown manhattan
Day two - events in queens..

I always work by myself.. the whole thought of transporting equipment, fighting the NYC traffic, and parking just makes me want to turn the gig down..

If they hired me for photo, I would definitely do it, with video, there's just too much equipment to carry..

Any NYC shooters here? Or anyone who has shot in NYC?

Edit: Also any suggestions you can make regarding shooting videos with pro equipment on the streets of Manhattan? Will I get harassed by cops?

Andy Tejral April 17th, 2009 12:01 PM

NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting

and more specifically: NYC.gov - Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting - Production News

Erick Munari May 21st, 2009 06:38 AM

Im in NY, do you still need assistance?

Andrew Waite May 23rd, 2009 09:47 AM

Something I learned while looking for flights..... Southwest has the cheapest "extra baggage" fees.... every other airline charges an arm and a leg for extra bags. And it gets pretty expensive!

Louis Maddalena May 23rd, 2009 06:00 PM

I am a NYC shooter and its not as hard as it sounds. There are a lot of laws based on film and video, but they are lenient towards videography for events. Also, if you do not have a tripod you are quite safe.

As long as you need are careful about everything you would be careful about at your home location, you will be fine.

If you need help send me an e-mail and I'd be more than willing to be your assistant if its not a day where I am booked myself and give you some advice for shooting in the city through out the day... or if you want me as a second back up camera. Let me know... If you have any specific questions, I am more than willing to assist you in any way I can so ask any question you may have.

Bruce Patterson May 24th, 2009 09:09 AM

I agree with Jawad in that I think you HAVE to find a solution and shoot the gig since the opportunity could be great for your portfolio. Also, since you already have a great relationship with the family, I would try to say "yes" to them as much as possible. You just never know where the connection can lead you and it would be a shame to burn a bridge and have them hire someone else to cover it. You may want to rent some or all of your gear too (minus your camera) so that you aren't lugging things from the airport to Manhattan, etc. I'd also consider asking a colleague of yours who's in (or near) NYC to assist you that day. Seems to me that it would be a worthwhile expense so you can focus on shooting.

I really like Joel's idea of shipping gear in advance too - I don't normally do that but it's a great option.

Let us know what you decide! When is the gig?

Louis Maddalena May 24th, 2009 11:01 AM

IF you have reservations at a hotel, call them and ask them if you can ship your equipment to them 2 days before you arrive so it will be there when you arrive. Make sure your camera travels with you though, carry it on don't check it. This way you can check in on your camera from time to time and know that you have it. Nothing would be worse then loosing your camera before your event.

Yang Wen June 8th, 2009 06:22 PM

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I've decided not to commit to this wedding.. Let me know if you are interested in the gig. Oct 10th, and 11th and I will forward your information to him. I don't know if they have already found someone local in the area. It's an Indian wedding.

William Smyth June 8th, 2009 06:47 PM

Yang...

We're not in NYC, but fairly close (Newport, RI about 2.5 hours away). If your couple hasn't found anyone, we'd be willing to work with them. We've been looking to break into NYC for a while. We've done one destination wedding (Martha's Vineyard).
All our info is on our website (the URL is in my sig line.)

Will
will@vacilando.tv

Yang Wen June 8th, 2009 07:20 PM

Hey guys.. I'll wait until tomorrow night for everyone to reply, then I'll send the entire list to him. Again, no guarantee that he hasn't already found someone.

Erick Munari June 8th, 2009 08:27 PM

Wen,
I'll be more than happy to do it, here is the website of whom I work with.
Take care,
Erick.
ARTHOUSE THINKTANK