DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Frame Rate ? for Wedding shooters. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/222554-frame-rate-wedding-shooters.html)

Denny Kyser April 21st, 2009 10:00 AM

Frame Rate ? for Wedding shooters.

Seems less and less people using 24p any more, I never did use it much basicly because I thought it would be less efective in low lighting and the slow mo would not be as good.

Is 60i what most of you use. I would love to try 30p but having a HV30 as a third camera to my Xh-a1's doesnt allow me to use that frame rate.

Just wondered if anyone is going the other way, leaning torwards the 24p for weddings. If you are do you shoot it for both wedding and reception?

Chris Davis April 21st, 2009 10:09 AM

I thought one of the improvements to the HV30 (over the HV20) was the ability to shoot 30p?

Tom Hardwick April 21st, 2009 10:11 AM

When you talk to the couple, do you talk to film fanatics, people who appreciate 2.35:1, 24p and film gamma settings? Or do you see a couple who want the cleanest, smoothest, most accurate recording of their day put together?

I generally find it's the latter. Doesn't stop you using wild focal lengths and shutter speeds, running and gunning and getting shots from up high and down low.

Shoot it as clean and accurately as you can, I say. In post you can muck about with it till the cows come home, and more importantly, click the undo button at any time.

tom.

Denny Kyser April 21st, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 1120264)
I thought one of the improvements to the HV30 (over the HV20) was the ability to shoot 30p?

I need to check on this, I had the HV20 before. It could be me just assuming the HV30 does not offer 30P

Will Tucker April 21st, 2009 10:50 AM

I use two HV 30s with my Sony Z5, they all do 30p

Travis Cossel April 21st, 2009 10:59 AM

I shoot 24p and don't have any glaring issues with low-light.

Taky Cheung April 21st, 2009 11:42 PM

I avoided 24p as the slow motion highlights video just look bad. 60i is too video-ish. I shoot entirely in 30p.

Tripp Woelfel April 22nd, 2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Kyser (Post 1120259)
Seems less and less people using 24p any more, I never did use it much basicly because I thought it would be less effective in low lighting and the slow mo would not be as good.

Your second point is accurate, but After Effects can help with slomo. However, 24p should actually better since you can shoot at a slower shutter speed, 1/48 or even 1/24 if necessary. 30p will let you get down to 1/30.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Kyser (Post 1120259)
Is 60i what most of you use. I would love to try 30p but having a HV30 as a third camera to my Xh-a1's doesnt allow me to use that frame rate.

I don't shoot weddings. Did one for a friend and found the experience ranked up there with lighting my hair on fire and putting it out with an ice pick.

I have both the XHA1 and HV30 both support 30p. I just checked the XHA1 manual to be certain and it references 30f support on page 40.

Denny Kyser April 22nd, 2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 1123747)
Your second point is accurate, but After Effects can help with slomo. However, 24p should actually better since you can shoot at a slower shutter speed, 1/48 or even 1/24 if necessary. 30p will let you get down to 1/30.

I don't shoot weddings. Did one for a friend and found the experience ranked up there with lighting my hair on fire and putting it out with an ice pick.

I have both the XHA1 and HV30 both support 30p. I just checked the XHA1 manual to be certain and it references 30f support on page 40.

Thanks, as I clean my morning coffee off the monitor reading how much you enjoy shooting weddings.

I did get the HV30 out last night and found that is does have that option (30P) Thanks for the heads up on that

Tom Hardwick April 22nd, 2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Kyser (Post 1123750)
I clean my morning coffee off the monitor reading how much you enjoy shooting weddings.

You're lucky. I had the VCR's door open ...