DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   need help with lighting for weddings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/235217-need-help-lighting-weddings.html)

Rishi Kumar May 12th, 2009 02:45 PM

need help with lighting for weddings

sorry I am relatively new to all this. I have a wedding to shoot this coming weekend, and I am afraid of bad Lighting issues. I do want to get a light to mount on my camera but they are so many out there I do not really know what to look for. Could anyone help?

The Camera I have is the Sony HVR V1U

Thanks!

Taky Cheung May 12th, 2009 05:57 PM

Check out this LED lights that I Have

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...ed-lights.html

Kevin Lewis May 12th, 2009 07:01 PM

I have a suggestion for you. Why dont you set up your lights in a designated are where people can come and give well wishes to the bride and groom/ You can set up in an area thats out of the way. Perhaps a hall near the coat closet.

Don Bloom May 12th, 2009 07:04 PM

Kevin while that is a good idea I believe the OP is asking about an on camera light for the reception not interviews.

There are a bunch of options depending on budget. LitePanel Micro, LitePanel Pro, Sony 10/20 (old standby) this new Comet, Bescor has a few.
Decide what you want to spend and find the piece that will fit that and do the job you need.

Dimitris Mantalias May 13th, 2009 06:29 AM

For the reception we use the Sony HVL-20DW camera lights. They're good because they don't cause permanent blindness to the couple and we don't never have to setup tripods with lights during the couple's entrance and first dance. It's a good solution although there are more professional alternatives like the HVL-LBP (haven't tried it though).

John Moon May 13th, 2009 11:58 AM

We have tried a multitude of different on-camera lights at receptions and although they still serve a purpose and are unavoidable at times, we prefer to set up off camera lighting. Our favorite light is a single Arri 650. I believe the stand goes up 13'. The photogs love this light and very often they will tell us: "That light really creates a cool effect for us". We also carry with us a Lowell light kit, which are a little smaller at 250w each. If possible, set up your off camera lighting before the guests arrive and they acclimate to it much quicker than if you were to flip the switch after they arrive. Adding a dimmer to the light will help in bringing up the light slowly and again this will allow the guests to adjust to it over time. We, however, have yet to receive any complaints. We kill the light after the dances.

Peter Rush May 13th, 2009 12:02 PM

I have 2 Swit S-2010 for my Sony Z1 and they have been really good and a lot cheaper than the Sony HVL-LBPA that I was going to buy

http://www.swit-battery.com/swit2006...roductlist.asp

Pete

Waldemar Winkler May 13th, 2009 05:11 PM

I follow a similar approach. Mine is a 750 watt modified quartz work light aimed into an umbrella reflector. It is mounted on a stand that could be extended to 10', which is firmly secured against accidents. Additionally, I have a wireless dimmer in the power line which allows me to adjust illumination as needed. Essentially this is a fill light. My on camera light is the key light. The result is really good images. The added bonus is the photographers love the ability to have enough extra light to focus their cameras.

Most important, I make sure the B&G approve this approach to lighting well before I go on site.

Dave Blackhurst May 14th, 2009 01:43 PM

The Sony 10/20 watt halogens are nice, the HVL-20DW2 uses he same batteries as your V1, which could be a plus. I liked having a Sto-fen diffuser mounted to make it easier on the subject's eyes.

I'll again mention the cheap Sima SL-20LX LED light - it's only got around 45-55 minutes life on the built in rechargeable battery, but I think Video guys (forum sponsor - search for a thread in lighting mislabeled "sigma" instead of SIMA) has them in a three pack for around $100 - hard to beat for the price, very light and compact, run cool and have a decent overall color temperature (cooler than the halogens, but not the nasty LED blue/white).

Not the best light in the world, but possibly the best for the price - you can pick up a six pack of these and they join together so you can make an array as needed, and you're still way less than any "pro" LED light out there... I use them in pairs, can't complain - decent throw, good fill light, seem to do the trick!

Susanto Widjaja May 14th, 2009 08:22 PM

The only thing with these simas, they can't be tilted up and down.. :(

it would be nice to have those features so that you can mount 3 of them on a stand.

Peter: Is your swit lights coming out ok? I have a sony hvllbp second hand and I'm looking to buy a second light. but I'm not buying the sony again since its too expensive..

Santo