DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How Close Is Too Close? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/235956-how-close-too-close.html)

Steve Loeffler May 23rd, 2009 05:53 PM

How Close Is Too Close?

Hi All,
I do videography as a part time hobby but lately it’s feeling more like the start of a business. More folks are asking me to shoot weddings. This is one discipline I was nervous about learning after reading about so many horror stories. Watching the experts on this forum gives me ideas and tips that allow me to do a better job with more confidence.

I just finished shooting my third wedding and it dawned on me that I may be standing too close to the pastor and B&G during the ceremony. I don't want to use too much zoom because it will amplify any movements on my part. I asked them after the ceremony and they were not feeling crowded.

What many of the attendees told me (laughing) is that I was standing a little too close to a candle at one point while getting an OS shot and they thought my shirt was going to catch fire! I told them I would do anything for the money shot…

My question to the veterans is how close is too close and what do you believe is proper protocol for a videographer during a wedding shoot when shooting the vows. I am still an amateur in many ways and want to get this right.

Thanks for any feedback!

Asvaldur Kristjansson May 23rd, 2009 08:10 PM

Hi
I use a good steady tripod and zoom in as needed. There is a risk of affecting the mood or the ceremony by going too close to get the money shots. I think that if the videographer is out of the photographers frame then all is ok.

Jim Snow May 23rd, 2009 09:19 PM

Another technique to get "closer" is to shoot in HD and render to MPEG for a DVD. You can zoom approximately 20% in post without hurting the MPEG resolution quality. if you zoom more than that, the image will start to get soft.

Oleg Kalyan May 23rd, 2009 09:29 PM

I 'd suggest a tripod, asking a pastor, a priest about the distance could be helpful.

Bruce Patterson May 23rd, 2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Loeffler (Post 1147411)
Hi All,
I do videography as a part time hobby but lately it’s feeling more like the start of a business. More folks are asking me to shoot weddings. This is one discipline I was nervous about learning after reading about so many horror stories. Watching the experts on this forum gives me ideas and tips that allow me to do a better job with more confidence.

I just finished shooting my third wedding and it dawned on me that I may be standing too close to the pastor and B&G during the ceremony. I don't want to use too much zoom because it will amplify any movements on my part. I asked them after the ceremony and they were not feeling crowded.

What many of the attendees told me (laughing) is that I was standing a little too close to a candle at one point while getting an OS shot and they thought my shirt was going to catch fire! I told them I would do anything for the money shot…

My question to the veterans is how close is too close and what do you believe is proper protocol for a videographer during a wedding shoot when shooting the vows. I am still an amateur in many ways and want to get this right.

Thanks for any feedback!

Hey Steve,

You may find 2 things happen if you get too close: a) you could be called out in the middle of the ceremony by the priest (embarrassing) and b) one of your couples may eventually find it too invasive.

How close were you to the couple?

I'm not much of a fan of tripods but we do use them during the ceremony staying a minimum of 30 feet away from the couple and/or the minister. Are you using a tripod? If you are, it should minimize/eliminate any movement. Keep in mind that some of the floors in churches are old and if you wander around your tripod it could shift it a bit.

Hope that helps!

Paul Mailath May 24th, 2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Hi All,

sorry for hijacking the thread but when I stopped laughing at the image, I started thinking...

you know you're too close when....

- you have to clean the hairspray off the lens

- the makeup artist keeps bumping the tripod

- even the widest shot still shows the hair on the brides upper lip quite clearly

- on their way down the isle the brides father threatens to punch you if you stand on the back of her dress again

- the priest keeps hitting you with his mike

- the groom has to look through the viewfinder to put the ring on

- the kiss peaks the on camera audio

- the photographer bails you up at the reception to explain that he only has 3 shots for the whole day where you're NOT in frame

- you keep frightening the guests when they turn around to see what's there

- the groom asks you not to rest your elbow on his back for your 'over the shoulder shot' of the bride

- you keep knocking wine glasses over when you pan

- with the on camera lighting, you can smell burning hair while you're following the 1st dance

sorry guys - I just had to get it out of my system.

Noel Lising May 25th, 2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson (Post 1147492)
Hey Steve,

You may find 2 things happen if you get too close: a) you could be called out in the middle of the ceremony by the priest (embarrassing) and b) one of your couples may eventually find it too invasive.

How close were you to the couple?

I'm not much of a fan of tripods but we do use them during the ceremony staying a minimum of 30 feet away from the couple and/or the minister. Are you using a tripod? If you are, it should minimize/eliminate any movement. Keep in mind that some of the floors in churches are old and if you wander around your tripod it could shift it a bit.

Hey Bruce how do you shoot the vows and the rings? I usually bargain for movement during the vows as I want to be as close as possible. I don't see that possible if you are 30 feet away. Thanks in advance.

David Schuurman May 25th, 2009 01:33 PM

Does anyone find use for a 2x tele converter during the ceremony or something like that? that way you could get the ring shots quite easily.

Don Bloom May 25th, 2009 01:46 PM

well, first let me state that every area is different and every church and officiant is different but by and large in my area you ain't gonna get up that close period. I shoot from the rear on a tripod and have never had a problem getting the rings etc except for the odd church with the 200 foot aisle. Fortunately most aren't like that. As for getting in as close as being considered part of the wedding party, well, my old school mindset says that's too close and honestly in my mind not necessary but that's just me.

Dave Blackhurst May 25th, 2009 11:24 PM

Know your lens range and capabilities and position accordingly. No way I'd fit a teleconverter, vignetting is a problem. You should be able to zoom in enough if you stake out your spot correctly, and no you shouldn't be in the middle of the action...

Dimitris Mantalias May 26th, 2009 02:33 AM

I'd suggest something like Varizoom's Flowpod. You can use it as a monopod so you can have some super-steady shots when zooming, and also you don't have the restrictions of a tripod when you want to play with strange angles etc. Not only that but it can be transformed into a very good "steadicam" equipment in a few seconds. To me there is no better alternative during the ceremony.

In my case though, keeping the monopod steady during zoom looked extremely difficult in the beginning. But after some training, I managed to have the steady shots I wanted.

Jeff Kellam May 26th, 2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Hi All, I just finished shooting my third wedding and it dawned on me that I may be standing too close to the pastor and B&G during the ceremony. I don't want to use too much zoom because it will amplify any movements on my part. I asked them after the ceremony and they were not feeling crowded.

Thanks for any feedback!

1. You should not be within at a minimum of 15 feet of the B&G IMO, perferably more. You are not getting married, they are. A second unmanned wide shot camera can be behind the couple and the distance is not as critical for personal space.

2. Closer in shots with a wider lens setting is not flattering to the people being imaged. The further away you can be, and by using more zoom, you will get a much more slimming and appealing image. You might even get some bokeh in an optimum shot.

3. Before shooting a location for the first time, if possible (and it's not always) go in advance, preferably with the bride, to see how the shoot can be set up. Also make sure the officiant is okay with everything including the wireless.

4. Im more old school than some, but the attendees should never even remember there was a videographer.

With both a photographer and videographer at weddings, you don't want to cause too much commotion. And you don't want to ruin all of the photographers shots by being in them either.

Don Bloom May 26th, 2009 04:32 PM

Yeah,I have to agree with Jeff on every point. There are times however when it's OK to get up close and personal like when and if you have time alone with the couple prior to or after the ceremony or for some special shots or sequence but during the ceremony frankly I see no need or reason to be up there with them. In my mind it would be more of a detriment than a help to capture the ceremony not to mention the fact that in most cases you would be going handheld and while there is a certain look to that and I do it as well but not during the ceremony. It's been my experience that the ceremony is the one time you want to be as rock solid steady as possible but that's just me ;-)

Steve Loeffler May 27th, 2009 08:44 AM

re: How Close Is Too Close?

Thanks to everyone for the great input. After reviewing my tapes, I can clearly see from the stationary wide cam shot in the rear that I may have been a little too close, at times, to the B&G and the candles. I was no closer than 12 feet at any time to the B&G and 2" from the candles. :-)

I would have been mortified had I lit up in the middle of the ring exchange.
Believe me, this crowd would have laughed their heads off.

Do you guy's have any funny stories involving the videographer or photographer?

Mark Ganglfinger May 27th, 2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1148669)
It's been my experience that the ceremony is the one time you want to be as rock solid steady as possible but that's just me ;-)

Agree completely. I have done only 1 ceremony with a glidecam and would not want to do it again. I am 100% tripod during the ceremony. I also feel the need to treat the ceremony with the utmost respect, nobody has ever complained that I did not get a close enough shot of the rings, but they have commented that they appreciate the my low profile approach.

Jim Snow May 27th, 2009 10:04 AM

There is another aspect of being too close as well. A photographer can dart in close, take a shot and then move away as quickly as he moved in. Although that can also be offensive, this is a bigger problem for a videographer. By the nature of shooting video, you are "anchored" in place for a longer period if time. If you are too close, it is much more obvious and intrusive because of the length of time you are too close.

Chris Davis May 27th, 2009 10:13 AM

You just have to ask. I had a bride who wanted us literally shooting over the shoulder of the pastor (well, we were 10 feet back, but still in full view of the guests.) Her mother was legally blind and having up-close shots on the DVD would be the only way she would ever see the ceremony.

Kevin Shaw May 27th, 2009 03:21 PM

As a general guideline I'd say anywhere in the front third of a church during a wedding ceremony is getting a bit intrusive, and if you're in front of the front pew that's becoming part of the event. Some may do this and get great shots and not get complaints, but try to be sensitive to which venues may tolerate this and which won't.

David Schuurman May 30th, 2009 03:29 PM

On the weddings I've done in the past I've kept very unobtrusive and near the back, but last weekend I did a wedding and for the first time I shot from all over and it made for much better footage. I shot the processional from BEHIND THE ALTER! (with priest permission of course) First time I ever did that and it was a rush, not to mention made for a good shot. I also went handheld and up close during the signing, but that was because the photographers were blocking the entire thing from almost everyone, so I joined them up front and off to the side. I was extremely conscious of myself wherever I was and I moved quickly, quietly, and only as needed.