Best way of capturing vows.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way of capturing vows....

Hey guys I need a bit of help again! I just met this client who told me they want thier vows recorded, and I am unsure how to do this.

I was thinking of few ways I can do this..

There WILL be a mic set up there with the audio guy, I would ask him if I could hook up a computer OR my 2nd camera to his system so I can get the live feed into that

i can get my OWN mic up there wirelessly and have it hooked up to reciever and then hooked up to my computer OR 2nd camera recording the audio

I can get my own lavlier set up but isnt it hard to do that for a bride?

use my camera's shotgun mic (do NOT want to use this option..too risky)

what would you guys suggest?
Rishi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Major Player

From the various threads I've read... I would suggest your own setup so that you are sure you have the audio. You mic the groom and the priest (curious if all priests don't mind this or not). I would also tap in to the audio system with your 2nd camera like you suggest.. better to have two audio tracks than one. Take the better one of the two. However.. if his setup is wireless.. you may need to check for interference with yours. I am curious if the small lav mics will pick up any audio from the mic/speaker system the DJ is going to use or not tho.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

IRiver or other small digital recording device in the grooms pocket with a decent lav mic hidden in the hanky or flowers on the lapel... most reliable method I've used... (with a second on the priest if they don't mind - wiring the bride might work if they are used to being mic'd, but otherwise is not probably going to work, as you don't want to break the vibe of the dress)

House audio is subject to poor handheld mic technique, bad levels, no levels... but you can always record it anyway, on the offhand chance it will be usable. Wireless is subject to interference, but may work if the venue is not using conflicting channels.

By having a lav in the hot zone, digitally recording, you stand the best chance - the bride will still probably be soft, but with careful level tweaking in post, you should be able to get a good track.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have been using a Olympus voice recorder with a wire lav mic hooked up to he groom. It's not a wireless device so there is no range or interference issue to worry about. Then at post, there will be an additional audio track to mix with.

I always have good sound recorded that way except if that's a catholic wedding. Otherwise, this setup works very well for me.
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I put a wireless mic on the groom (Sennheiser G2)
and put a digital recorder on the officaint (Marantz 620 PMD-620)

I love the combo, I mix in post. Both mic's pick up the bride well, but usually the wireless on the groom has the stonger signal.

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Im STILL really confused about the set up guys. can someone clearly explain to me how I should do it?

There is the one option of putting a wireless lav mic on the priest and groom, but what if that causes interference with other from the mic/speaker system...

Some of you guys said to have a digital recorder in the groom's pocket, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this is...I'm guessing the lav mic is connected directly to the digital recorder, and therefore there would be no interference from any external mics.. am I correct?

Please help guys!, Thanks!
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That's correct.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

With that you have a separate clean audio file that you need to sync with the footage from the camera. It's easy just by matching the wave form.

You need to clip the wired lav mic to the groom. The mic connects to the voice recorder. There is no interference nor range problem to deal with compared with using a wireless lav mic setup.
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Inner Circle

First and foremost, FORGET the on camera mic for vows. Ain't gonna happen.
I always mic the groom and lectern for the readings. I stopped micing the officiant years ago as most didn't want to.
I have mic'd only 2 brides in my lifetime, there are too many logisitical challenges to that and frankly IMO it's not worth it. The grooms mic will pickup the groom, the bride and the officiant during the vows UNLESS the officiant is standing 15 feet away and most don't. At least none that I've come across. If you use 2 wireless, set the freqs far enough apart or do a freq scan so you can set them without interference. I've had no problem with interference in the last 10 years or so.
If you want to use a backup then use a digital recorder on the groom and simply double mic him and put the recorder in his pocket. Although I prefer NOT to use one (if I can't monitor the sound I don't trust it- but that's just me).
Relax, it's really not that hard to get quality audio. You simply have to use decent gear and some good old common sense.
Oh yeah, if you use wireless, use headphones. Anyone that doesn't deserves all the bad audio they get. If you can't hear it you can't fix it. Most audio problems start right there at the source. Transmitter, receiver or levels at the camera all of which can be sorted out BEFORE the event simply by doing a quick sound check.
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Ditto for me too!!
One very important fact!! Don't be too lazy to go to the rehearsal if they have one!! That way you will know exactly where everyone will be standing and you can plan your audio setup exactly. Sometimes the officiant is more than happy to change their position so you can get better audio.

Even if the Church PA sounds brilliant when they test it, more than likely the person doing a reading has no idea about where to stand or talks in a whisper so your own mic is essential!! I have a quite nice MiniDisk recorder that I usually put under the reading lectern and then clip a lav mic on the gooseneck of the Church mic. Even if you don't use it, it's comforting to have the backup there!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Okay Suppose I want to Put one Wired setup on the Priest and Wireless on the Groom...how would I record the audio coming into the Wireless Receiver? I don't want to hook it to my camera because I want to be able to move mobile with my camera.

also can you only have ONE wireless Lav per receiver? If you needed a 2nd Lav wireless mic would you need a 2nd receiver and another separate channel? The reason I ask is because i noticed most of the wireless mic/receiver sets only come with 1 mic..eg

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=pr...ProductsID=997
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kumar View Post
Okay Suppose I want to Put one Wired setup on the Priest and Wireless on the Groom...how would I record the audio coming into the Wireless Receiver? I don't want to hook it to my camera because I want to be able to move mobile with my camera.

also can you only have ONE wireless Lav per receiver? If you needed a 2nd Lav wireless mic would you need a 2nd receiver and another separate channel? The reason I ask is because i noticed most of the wireless mic/receiver sets only come with 1 mic..eg

Long & McQuade - Products - Sennheiser Evolution Bodypack Transmitter With ME2 Omni Lavalier

I'm not sure I get the question. Are you using a rack mount or desktop type receiver? Get a receiver that's battery operated,either attach it to the camera or use a long cable and hook it to your belt or hook it to your tripod or multirig or steadicam and go mobil.
As for the number of units-you CAN have 1 transmitter go to multiple receivers (as long as the receivers are on the same freq) but you can only run 1 transmitter run to 1 receiver. IOW, you can't run multiple transmitters to a single receiver. Yes each SET of transmitters and receivers need to be on seperate freqs. The reason set of wireless come with only 1 mic is because they are not multi-channel receivers. There are a few out there. I run Audio-Technica 1821 receiver which is a 2 channel receiver. I can and do run 2 mics on almost every job on 2 different freqs. Works great for me.
I can hear and control both units and wouldn't have it any other way.

OK, I just looked a the link you had and you're looking at the wrong unit.This unit is great for stationary work, AV for seminars etc. Get the G100, 200 or 500 or whatever the numbers are. You need ENG type wireless.
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Rishi

Most radio mics have multi-channel but that doesn't mean that you can use more than one transmitter!! If the receiver has one channel you can only use one transmitter. As Don says if you want two transmitters then you need a dual channel receiver, essentially two receivers (each on a diffrent frequency) in one case. Each transmitter is set to the same frequency as it's partner receiver. ie: TX1 - 744.9mhz RX1 - 744.9mhz and TX2 - 788.4mhz RX2 - 788.4mhz.

If you are running, as you have mentioned, a hardwired mic from the priest and a radio mic on the groom then you need a little passive mixer (Azden make one that goes onto your camera) and feed the receiver output to one mixer channel and the wired mic to another and then the mixer output goes to your camera's mic in!!

Personally I get away with just a mic on the groom....if you want a backup, why not buy a MiniDisk recorder on eBay for a couple of dollars and have that near the couple as a backup???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I always use an Olympus WS-311M with an inexpensive audio-technica lapel mic on the groom. This gives me great audio quality (the bride and priest tend to be a little soft but can be upped in post).

plus I always try and secrete my Zoom H2 as close to the proceedings as possible. I also have a shotgun on my main camera (Sony Z1) in case of absolute emergency

Never had much luck relying on the in-house PA unfortunately

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #15
Major Player

If your just starting out or it's a one off gig you're not sure you'll be doing much again:

Amazon.com: AZDEN WMS-PRO Lavaliere System with Hand-Held Microphone: Camera & Photo

Put it on the groom. Keep it simple.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques