Best way of capturing vows.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #16
Major Player

I second the idea of going to the rehearsal.

You can pick up a nice digital recorder for around 100$. I bought a sony one at best buy a few days ago to replace the H2 I had stolen.

Mic the groom up an hour before the ceremony and start recording then. That way you can test everything out before it gets to stressful.

I always do this... I get good clean audio from the groom, bride, and the officiant...

Synch it up in post and then your done.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Major Player

The WMS-PRO isn't the best, especially when there it fluorescent lighting around. Spend a few bucks more and get an Audio-Technica, Senheiser or Shure.
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Major Player

Never said it was the best. But I've found it to be clear, and usable without making a several hundred dollar investment.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Best Way of Capturing Vows

Hey Guys, on this subject,what settings should the Zoom be at to record the ceremony if I double mic the groom? I'm using a Sennheiser Evolution G2 mated to a Beachtek adapter with my FX-1 for the ceremony. I own the Zoom H2 but have problems in the past with batteries running out or audio settings. I thought about putting a second mic on the groom and running that to the H2 or putting the Zoom on a mic stand in the area of the wedding party to pick up the ceremony. Any suggestions and suggestions about audio settings?
Cheers!

Tony
Anthony Cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano View Post
Hey Guys, on this subject,what settings should the Zoom be at to record the ceremony if I double mic the groom? I'm using a Sennheiser Evolution G2 mated to a Beachtek adapter with my FX-1 for the ceremony. I own the Zoom H2 but have problems in the past with batteries running out or audio settings. I thought about putting a second mic on the groom and running that to the H2 or putting the Zoom on a mic stand in the area of the wedding party to pick up the ceremony. Any suggestions and suggestions about audio settings?
Cheers!

Tony
I used to use my zoom mainly hooking into the DJ's booth at the reception. I was also putting it on a small >17in tripod somewhere near the bridal party as a back up to the grooms lapel mic.
I would put new batteries in about an hour before everything started and hit record then.
Then I would replace the batteries once the reception started, regardless if they had time left on them.
As far as audio settings. I really didn't have much time to get to deep into the settings.
I usually went with my mic setting around medium and the strength at about 110...
Usually yielded good results.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

What about the podium how do you get good audio out of speeches? (sorry if I'm still not 100% getting it)
Rishi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #22
Inner Circle

there are 2 scenarios for a podium. One at the ceremony for the readers in which case I place a wireless lav back to my receiver-very clean audio. If you mean at the reception you could do the same OR place a small pocket recorder with a lav on the podium OR set a mic with a plugin transmitter back to the DJs speaker going back to your wireless receiver to your camera but that only works if the microphone the speakers are using is going to the DJs board. If they are using the house system (I hate them as generally they have a bunch of small speakers in the ceiling and the sound is awful) thenperhaps place a mic on a stand and raise it up pointing to a speaker with a plugin transmitter going to the receiver on your camera.
Keep in mind that while I have done that I generally use a mic in front of the DJs speaker since in most cases around here they use his/her mic, I also use a hpyercaroid on the camera which works far better than a shotgun indoors. I also am not afraid to get close to the subject not only for audio purposes but for video purposes as well. I try not to be more than 8 feet away.
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #23
Inner Circle

This is where a flock of iRivers (or other small recorders) comes in handy... you can stick one almost anywhere, the internal mic would probably suffice in a pinch on a podium, or use a lav. Just don't forget to collect them.

I've not EVER had what I'd consider GOOD luck with "house audio" - lots of the OTHER kind of "luck"... people don't use mics, forget to turn mics on, feedback, etc... while I'll usually try to include it as ONE possible sound source...

I'd rather have several dedicated "point source" recorders if possible, OR several wireless, but that gets expensive and problematic if you're in a high RF environment (many modern venues have a pretty complete spectrum of wireless gear on site, finding empty air space to squeeze into may not work very well).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I still didnt get all the 100 options out there, so I went to a local store and decided to talk to them in person.

I liked the idea of recording on actual recorders, and not dealing with wireless things right now

I saw a few ones at a local store, and I was pretty impressed with the zoom H4n. However NOT impressed with the size. It seems pretty big and no groom or priest would want to put that in their pockets. The other smaller recorders didnt have the right XLR inputs I needed.

So I was wondering if you guys could recommend me any smaller sized recorders (you guys may use) that will allow me to hook up devices via XLR
Rishi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kumar View Post
So I was wondering if you guys could recommend me any smaller sized recorders (you guys may use) that will allow me to hook up devices via XLR
Have a look at this one: Olympus DS-30

Stelios
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Rishi -
XLR and "pocket" aren't compatible... if you want something that's a nice pocketable size, you're going to be looking for something with miniplug - 1/8" inputs. Specific iRiver models work, as do other small recorders like the Olympus that is fairly popular with other regulars here. I'm sure there are quite a few brands of micro-recorders designed primarily to take dictation that would "work", it's just a matter of the audio quality they are capable of recording.

Then it's just a matter of finding a nice discreet Lav mic, and you're good to go. For the short cable run you're dealing with, you don't need a balanced (XLR) line.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques