DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   the no workaround in 5D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/239250-no-workaround-5d.html)

Osmany Tellez July 18th, 2009 09:02 AM

the no workaround in 5D

hello all.

I was shooting a wedding last night using a HVX200a and Canon 5D mark2 and I have to say; I was putting my HVX away most of the time and picking up my 5D, the low light, color and quality was so good that i had no choice. BUT...the big problem is the FLASHES...This is what I think the only issue that has no workaround...(I guess one: don't use next to fotographers). So, only there my HVX was of most invaluable use.

At times I think about having 2 5d's for work...and thought every other issue had some workaround, but the flash issue seems to be the only one I think don't have possible workaround..YET..I think I read somewhere that this is something they are working on and is possible to improve on...I hope so.

Just wanted to share.

Thanks

bytheway...one of the most fun partys I never been to..will post when i get something done..
O

David Schuurman July 18th, 2009 05:07 PM

I dont think there's a workaround for flashes other than using a CCD rather than a CMOS.

Ken Diewert July 18th, 2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez (Post 1173332)
hello all.

I was shooting a wedding last night using a HVX200a and Canon 5D mark2 and I have to say; I was putting my HVX away most of the time and picking up my 5D, the low light, color and quality was so good that i had no choice. BUT...the big problem is the FLASHES...This is what I think the only issue that has no workaround...(I guess one: don't use next to fotographers). So, only there my HVX was of most invaluable use.

At times I think about having 2 5d's for work...and thought every other issue had some workaround, but the flash issue seems to be the only one I think don't have possible workaround..YET..I think I read somewhere that this is something they are working on and is possible to improve on...I hope so.

Just wanted to share.

Thanks

bytheway...one of the most fun partys I never been to..will post when i get something done..
O

Agreed the flashes are trouble. One work around is to ask for specific shots without flashes popping. Like a fake cake cutting shot where no one flashes. Obviously there'll be shots that you can't avoid flashes - but the positives so far outweigh the negatives with the 5d.

I was hired to shoot a ceremony, and the B&G just asked if I'd mind shooting the arrival at the reception since it was two blocks from my house, so I stopped by and shot their arrival and thought WTH, I'll get a couple of quick shots of the reception so I just grabbed my hv30. The lighting was so muddy and low in this room that I couldn't get anything and I mean anything usable. the ceiling lights that were on were gelled with something weird. Anyways I went out to the car, grabbed the 5d, with a 50mm 1.4 opened up, dialed in the WB at about 3700, went to ISO1250 (as I recall), and picked up some real decent shots - incredible.

Osmany Tellez July 19th, 2009 01:16 PM

thanks David, Ken for replays.

Yeah, So far I never asked B&G to do something out of their way for me on their wedding day, maybe I will learn to do that one day, I just feel that they have so much going on that I don't want to add more to it but I understand I might have to do that sometimes.

Looking at the footage the day after I didn't feel so bad about the flash issue. I think for us its something we get bother by but i don't think clients mind that much to see the white band. They just think."flash"... I think. I don't think it looks that bad considering the situation.

But I agree, hate it what I was getting from my camera with this horribl light but 5D came to rescue me. Love it.

Thanks