DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   When some wedding guests can be rude. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/240061-when-some-wedding-guests-can-rude.html)

Anthony J. Howe July 31st, 2009 05:13 AM

When some wedding guests can be rude.

The last wedding I did, a wedding guest who had just arrived to the wedding approached my assistant videographer who was filming the wedding cake. The guest said; 'if you ever put that camera in my face, I'll STICK IT UP YOUR .... I wont repeat what he said finally.

When the assistant mentioned this to me, I said 'don't let it bother you, main thing is be professional' and ignore the comment and keep out of his way.

Two weddings before that, a woman wedding guest shouted again at my assistant and said; GET OUT OF THE '@$%'.... WAY!

and a wedding before that another wedding guest, one of the three best men at the wedding had said to me and repeated this to my assistant later, if you get that camera in my face, then I won't get into your face, GOT IT!

Perhaps it's stress, nerves or what I don't know, but some wedding guests can be rude and we in our team seem to be experiencing this more this year than last year. In fact there was only one incident last year.

I always keep professional about these things and just get on with the job in hand.
I'm beginning to wonder though, if other wedding videographers are experiencing some rudeness from others at the wedding they shoot?

Chris Harding July 31st, 2009 05:54 AM

Wow!! I must admit I have never had a problem like that.

If I did I would simply go to the couple and tell them that the guest/wedding party member has threatened me if I film him/her so I will not be including that person anywhere on the video.

Guests have always been more than obliging even when I'm filming table by table for comments on the wedding!! I guess if someone doesn't want to be filmed just let the bride know (she IS the boss) and leave the person well alone!! I suspect that excessive alcohol may start something like that but admittedly I have never seen it so I'm lucky!!

Chris

Noel Lising July 31st, 2009 06:58 AM

I have yet to encounter a rude guest, so I can't give much advice, and yup the Bride runs the show. Next time ask her to let the DJ announce that you'll be moving from table to table, taking videos & photos, that way it will look like this a request from the Bride.

Matthew Craggs July 31st, 2009 07:18 AM

I generally agree with everyone, but want to put in my two cents that you should not tell the bride unless it becomes an issue. The last thing she wants to hear about on her wedding day is one of us being harassed by a guest. Similarly, she doesn't want to be handed her film with the disclaimer, "This guest was harassing us so there isn't much of him/her in it." She should pop in the DVD thinking that it's going to be great, not taking roll call. I would only bring it up if you're asked specifically why there is no footage of the person. If they really mean something to the bride or groom, they're not going to be a jerk about being on camera.

I've never been in that situation, myself. Closest I came was during my first wedding where the father of the bride kept asking if I was gay and telling me to stop following him around (as if I were shooting everything to make my own... well... gay demo reel, I guess). Later a member of the bridal party tried to wrestle my camera away from me, but it turned out fine since drunk people have short memories so you can be a bit more forceful in shielding your gear.

Don't you just wish you could say, no matter how cliche, "I don't come to your work and tell you how to flip burgers?"

Chris Harding July 31st, 2009 07:52 AM

Fair enough comments and the DJ announcing your pending arrival at the table is a great idea. However if I was faced with a "Shove it..." I would certainly speak (very nicely) to the bride and mention that the guest in question does not want to be filmed. Comments like that are bordering on violent behaviour and after the guest in question has sunken anoth 12 beers he could quite easily hurt someone else. It's not a question of "tattle-taleing" but rather pointing out a potential volatile situation that one of the guys could probably defuse easily if approached early in the evening.

Hopefully I will never have that situation arise!!

One of our local videographers (a lady competitor!) has her contract on her website and she has under "terms and conditions" the following :
" If I feel that my equipment or myself are under any threat of being damaged, I reserve the right to stop filming immediately and leave the venue "

That's telling them...Behave or I'm outa here!!!!

Chris

Noel Lising July 31st, 2009 08:25 AM

Anthony, how intrusive is your assistant? I am just curious coz you have two weddings where guest are telling your assistant to "go away". Maybe too close? Most guest I shoot are either camera shy or camera hogs.

Aaron Mayberry July 31st, 2009 08:45 AM

I got the same vibe that Noel got. I'm sure your assistant is trying to get the best possible shot, but maybe he just getting too close to peoples faces, etc?

Usually if I'm going to put the camera in someones face I already know they will be okay with it, or people will give a positve/negative reaction as soon as you start to point the camera towards them.

The same complaint from 2 different weddings tells me your assistant is either having bad guest luck, or is creating the situation.

Denny Kyser July 31st, 2009 08:59 AM

That would be awkward, what you would love to do is open your sports coat and show your .45 pistol holstered on your belt. but of coarse we know we cant do that. Would love to see the response to that.

Don Bloom July 31st, 2009 09:13 AM

I've encountered a few rude guests and while I try to be professional and basically just walk away, I've had a couple of instances where I've been called out. Literally. I had one drunk guest who went to my gear during a break (dinner and I don't do much taping then, like none unless something major is happening). He actually picked up my camera and started playing around. Needless to say I went over to him, tried the nice approach and then basically threatened him with severe bodily harm if he didn't hand it over and get away from me and the gear. The DJ (I know him well) is a pretty big guy that was coming over to help me out and while I'm not big I can be mean. He handed the camera to me and mumbled something under his breath. As the evening went on, I didn't see him and found out the groom saw this whole thing and without reservation had the guest "lefted" by 3 of his groomsmen. A couple of years ago while taping some dancing, I had a guest come up to me in a very rude manner (too much to drink I'm sure) and basically threatened me because as I was taping I swept a shot past him. He put his hands on me and honestly call me names or whatever but do not put hands on me or my gear. Unfortunatly for him I knew a lot of the people there and one of my close friends was there and witnessed this. Now he's an ex-pro football player. 6'4" about 280lbs and he looks mean when he wants too. He came over and took hold of the guy and asked him if there was a problem. The guy looked at him and decided there wasn't. He left the party and before I left the groom came to me and apologized for the guys behavior.
For the most part though, those were the most extreme guests I've encountered. By and large people are pretty good at weddings but every now and then you get "that one".
Oh well, smile smile smile and keep on doing the job.

Anthony J. Howe July 31st, 2009 09:40 AM

Looks like most have been lucky and these past few weeks I haven't.
My assistant is the nicest guy you could meet and never gets in their face. Most of the shooting is done by me and he shoots exactly what I want him to do. Maybe he is the type to get picked on, I don't know.

I can assure you though, that the lad is never intrusive, he's just been unlucky. All of them are 8-10 years older than him that's picked on him, maybe it's his age, however he is 29 years old.

The first chap in the first incident I mentioned had just arrived when he picked on my assistant, it looked to me that he had a few drinks before he came and was perhaps a troublemaker.

The best-man turned out all right in the end, I think it was just nerves with him, probably worried about his speech. No excuse though to be rude to me or my assistant.

On the whole though, we have no problem and the wedding guests are really friendly and I get comments from B&G's how professional our team is on the day.
Because I have had three incidents this year and each one just recently, I thought something not right here, are guests just getting rude these days or what?

By the way I haven't told the brides of these incidents, I thought it's best just leave well alone. I didn't want their day spoilt.

Danny O'Neill July 31st, 2009 09:53 AM

Anthony, I think you will find its your prices that get you this.

Weve had our fair share of snide comments about being in their shot while they try and photograph something in near darkness with a mobile phone but nothing along those lines.

When your prices are low you attract a certain class of people. as they go up we have seen the weddings getting more and more elegant and the people we deal with change.

Just remain professional, brush it off and dont film them. If the couple ask why there is no footage of that person then you can just explain they were not keen on being filmed.

Paul R Johnson July 31st, 2009 10:11 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned class before, but sadly, the problem isn't just attached to weddings. I shoot quite a lot of theatre shows, and these can get quite hairy sometimes. In the UK we have what are called socio-economic groups - we're not allowed to call it 'class' any more, although everybody knows this is exactly what it is. A's at the top, and E's at the bottom. Problems mainly come from the D and E groups - and at weddings I'd guess that identifying them is more difficult because the key people all wear 'uniform' - suggesting a higher SEG than they really are, so the problems talked about here can spring up unexpected. In my theatre work, we tend to be able to spot problem people, so we don't shoot them. We have more problems stopping them acting up for the camera, than actually being threatening. What I have found out is that often, their reason for not wanting to be on camera is that they are with somebody the shouldn't be, or are breaking some kind of curfew thing, or are claiming benefits of some time and shouldn't be at an expensive leisure evening, when they are supposed to be ill/skint or otherwise.

Travis Cossel July 31st, 2009 10:54 AM

A few things ...

First, I wouldn't go to the bride just because someone said something to me about not filming them. I'm a firm believer in not dumping issues of any kind on the bride unless it's absolutely necessary .. and trust me, I've been in some crappy situations.

Second, I definitely WOULD say something to the guest. I would let them know first of all that it's completely unnecessary to be rude to me. I would also let them know that the bride HIRED me to film the reception and anyone who is at the reception could potentially be filmed. I would let this guest know that although I will make an effort not to film them, I can't guarantee they won't be filmed. I would also tilt my camera towards them at the start of this conversation and record the whole thing in case they decide to become more of a jerk.

Third, I have a clause in my contract that states the bride and groom are responsible for guests interference with our filming of the wedding events. I may or may not mention this to the guest, depending on if they decide to take things to another level of rudeness. But it also releases me from liability if a guest is hindering our filming and I have to inform the B&G.

Lastly, my entire goal would be to dispel the situation and get on with my work. Some people just don't want to be on camera and some people just want to make waves. In either case, the faster you resolve the conversation the better.

Joel Peregrine July 31st, 2009 11:37 AM

Yikes!

My experiences are too often people making a fuss getting out of my way, ruining the shot. I don't like it when they duck under the camera or say 'sorry' for being in front of me. I tend to use people as 'creative obstructions' to add not only visual interest but also contextual meaning to the shot. All too often they say 'sorry' and try to get out of the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony J. Howe (Post 1179044)
The last wedding I did, a wedding guest who had just arrived to the wedding approached my assistant videographer who was filming the wedding cake. The guest said; 'if you ever put that camera in my face, I'll STICK IT UP YOUR .... I wont repeat what he said finally.

When the assistant mentioned this to me, I said 'don't let it bother you, main thing is be professional' and ignore the comment and keep out of his way.

Two weddings before that, a woman wedding guest shouted again at my assistant and said; GET OUT OF THE '@$%'.... WAY!

and a wedding before that another wedding guest, one of the three best men at the wedding had said to me and repeated this to my assistant later, if you get that camera in my face, then I won't get into your face, GOT IT!

Perhaps it's stress, nerves or what I don't know, but some wedding guests can be rude and we in our team seem to be experiencing this more this year than last year. In fact there was only one incident last year.

I always keep professional about these things and just get on with the job in hand.
I'm beginning to wonder though, if other wedding videographers are experiencing some rudeness from others at the wedding they shoot?

Aaron Mayberry July 31st, 2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine (Post 1179225)
Yikes!

My problems is people making too much of a fuss getting out of my way - I just don't like it when they duck under the camera or say 'sorry' for being in front of me. I tend to use people as 'creative obstructions' to add not only visual interest but also contextual meaning to the shot. All too often they say 'sorry' and try to get out of the way.

LOL, I try to do the same thing...and as soon as some realizes they are in my shot they apologize and ruin it :(

Matthew Craggs July 31st, 2009 12:27 PM

I just love it when that happens as well. My other favourite is when people see the camera is on them and then pose like I'm taking a still photo.

Of course, I also get my share of people in the way who are not "creative obstructions" (love the term, by the way), but rather guests who decide that it's alright to park themselves right smack dab in front of the camera during something like the first dance. I never in my life would be so unaware, or unrespectful, of my surroundings that I would stand right in front of the lens of a vendor who was paid to be there.

Don Bloom July 31st, 2009 01:02 PM

yeah I love people ducking under ;-) Problem is most times during the reception I'm using a WA lens attachment and they'd have to almost crawl on the floor to get out of the shot. Just walk thru. It takes less time and I can cut around it.
I agree, generally speaking, the more they spend on the wedding, the more people are not rude. I just did one for a well known sports figures son at a very posh CC (they refer me a lot) and I've got to say, while the wedding itself was pretty much "standard" the people were some of the nicest and most understanding I have ever worked with.
I also agree it's better to walk away from a confrontation but every once in a while, well, you just can't but 99.999% of the time you can and I too will roll tape if confronted.
i also will not get the B&G involved unless there is no other way around it. Why ruin their day!?
Ahh you gotta love the wedding biz!

Dennis Murphy July 31st, 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

The guest said; 'if you ever put that camera in my face, I'll STICK IT UP YOUR .... "

I think there's a wedding videographer short film in all of this.
The videographer could reply "Hey mofo, I'm sure you'd prefer the camera in your face than *reaches under jacket and pulls out steel bar* this?"
The next shot snaps back to what actually happens: the videographer, with a strained smile walks away begrudgingly.
Four weddings later and the videographer has a 'Taxi' moment, cuts him/herself a mohawk in the rest room and snaps etc.

Jim Snow July 31st, 2009 03:57 PM

Basically this thread is about booze. At least that is the common denominator for the problems mentioned. Smart event planners for events of any kind, social or corporate realize the effect booze is going to have on some people. If a sufficient number of people are given unlimited access to "free" booze, this sort stuff will always happen. The key is to put a throttle on it. If not, the problems are virtually inevitable.

Corporate Christmas parties were a classic disaster zone. Booze and the corporate environment don't mix. Only a fool disregards this. Many companies realize the problem and arrange corporate events so that they are cordial but have very limited booze.

With weddings, one of the worst booze problems occurs when there is an inordinately long period of time between the ceremony and the reception while the photographer is taking pictures. If there is an open bar during this time, some of the guests are going to get drunk. If you are lucky, they will only make babbling fools of themselves. Unfortunately a percentage of these will get mean and want to fight and lip off and generally cause problems.

A wedding that is big enough to have potential booze problems is going to have an event planner, either an independent planner or someone who is an employee of the venue. It's worth asking about how drunk guests will be dealt with to see if this possibility has been addressed.

Vito DeFilippo July 31st, 2009 05:59 PM

Too funny,

Quote:

I did a barmitsvah this year and a lady at the bar grabbed me and said "hey, take our picture!" I said, "no problem, but it's a video camera."

So she gave me the finger...

Just walk away and ignore them. Don't ruin the bride's mood by saying anything to her. If you really feel that someone should be told, let the best man know, or the father of the bride.

But in your shoes, I wouldn't tell anyone.

Jason Robinson July 31st, 2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1179095)
One of our local videographers (a lady competitor!) has her contract on her website and she has under "terms and conditions" the following :
" If I feel that my equipment or myself are under any threat of being damaged, I reserve the right to stop filming immediately and leave the venue "

I have that in my contract as well. something to the effect that if guests get uppity & or violent, then I reserve the right to withdraw to safe locations or quit filming altogether.

Asvaldur Kristjansson July 31st, 2009 08:29 PM

REC light off

I have turned the red REC tally light off my cameras so people will not notice when the camera is rolling. Sometimes during reception and walking between tables I act like I´m still setting/adjusting the camera to get the most natural shoots of people but the camera is already on. The SONY Z1 has the ability to set all the lights to off and also the powerindicator.

Paul Mailath August 1st, 2009 07:21 AM

I worry about this - I'm only starting into weddings but already done one Rugby (league not union) club and another coming up - these boys get completely rat arsed. When I booked this one I explained specifically that I would pull the plug if my crew or gear are not safe. wether you call it 'class ' or a socionomic group - it makes a difference.

Bruce Foreman August 1st, 2009 12:19 PM

I'm retired and no longer do weddings but in my studio days did a ton of them. The best way I found to avoid all of the above problems was to have the groom or father of the bride "appoint" someone to "run interference" for me.

This worked like a charm and I never had to mess with rude guests.

Ben Longden August 1st, 2009 09:59 PM

Wow..
Ive never had a problem like that filming a wedding. Just when I shoot news, such as a prang late at night.

Ive always found wedding guests to be pretty cool, but I do try and make a point of doing the rounds of the tables at the reception BEFORE they get plastered.

Ive found the best time is before the wedding party enter the reception and the guests are at the tables, and before the food comes out.

Oh, I always switch the front tally light off. Leaving the back one on stops the enevitable tap on the elbow..

As Bruce said Having someone run interference, such as the Brides father is a brilliant idea.

Ben

Will Tucker August 2nd, 2009 11:06 AM

Rude sober guests!

I was hired by a photographer to film a Muslim wedding reception a few weeks ago. There was no drinking, mostly socializing and picture taking. They also had a pair of performers play, and the couple very much wanted to have that filmed.

The setting was a stage and I would guess about 600 guests pulled up chairs to watch it. I was down low on my knees with a monopod getting some really great footage. It wasn't long before I heard some yelling. Apparently, I was still too much in the way for their liking. I tried to move but it seemed to just get a different group angry. But the couple wanted the footage, so I got as low as I could and got the job done. About every 40 seconds they would send waiters to tap on my shoulder and give me their messages. Tap..tap..tap...so and so said...'. You get the idea. Toward the end it sounded like a riot was about to break out. I tricked myself into thinking the shouting was because the music was so good. But I got what I needed, a few good performances (about 20 min. out of a 2 hour set). But that experience was rattling to say the least. And that is saying something since I worked retail while going through high school and college.

Anyway, I always try not to be too obtrusive, but still get the footage that will blow my clients away. You have to be polite, professional, and do what you can. But at the end of the day your product has your name on it.

Travis Cossel August 3rd, 2009 04:04 PM

Will, that's ridiculous. I was filming a first dance once and actually had something throwing stuff at me from behind - twice. I so wanted to stop filming and go put a fist in their face. At the end of the day, acting like a professional is always the best route, though.

Dave Blackhurst August 3rd, 2009 05:59 PM

SO guys, once again, I'm looking to manufacture my patented/trademarked combo blowgun/monopod... just need to get a few orders to start the production line <wink>!

"no more blocked shots"
"stops annoying guests with a single breath"
"stable camera moves AND personal space"
"smooth panning, and a clear shot every time"

I'm also working on the "Tasepod" shoulder mount/stun gun for the 2010 model year... get your orders in now!

David Schuurman August 4th, 2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

SO guys, once again, I'm looking to manufacture my patented/trademarked combo blowgun/monopod... just need to get a few orders to start the production line
I may be interested in preordering a few of these, but I have a few concerns I'd like addressed: Does your product employ a safety mechanism preventing accidental inhalation of the dart, and does it use standard size darts or can I order it to accommodate a smaller dart? Also, how breath efficient is your product? About how much pressure is required to propel the dart?

Like I said, barring these few concerns I'm ready to preorder a few of these assuming production gets underway soon, if not I may have to go with a few tridents.

Ben Longden August 4th, 2009 03:48 AM

I'll take one!

I just have to deal with abusive ego maniac 20 year old know-all cops at crash scenes, and crusty old farmers who think they are firefighters... crusty old firefighters who like to take a swing at cameras..

I was filming Kick boxing the other night, and was working on the ringside, literally holding onto the top rope (as I was permitted to do so) and working next to one of their production camera operators, so not to block his shots. Next thing, I feel a tugging at the leg.

I ignored it until the end of the round, and it was the MC asking me to move. I just said, "sorry mate. I dont stop tape for anyone". I moved location before the start of the next round and got better vision that actually made it to air. The universe at work perhaps?

Ben

Noel Lising August 4th, 2009 07:08 AM

I remember when I was working as an AV tech in the late 80s, we always have waiters passing through our front projection set-up. I use to tell the Captain waiter that due to the powerful (250 ANSI Lumen) rays, it can cause infertility. They avoid the beam like a plague upon hearing that.

Tim Harjo August 4th, 2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 1180680)
I remember when I was working as an AV tech in the late 80s, we always have waiters passing through our front projection set-up. I use to tell the Captain waiter that due to the powerful (250 ANSI Lumen) rays, it can cause infertility. They avoid the beam like a plague upon hearing that.

lol! Sweet!

Bryan Daugherty August 4th, 2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Tucker (Post 1179909)
...About every 40 seconds they would send waiters to tap on my shoulder and give me their messages. Tap..tap..tap...so and so said...'. You get the idea...

This drives me nuts. I hate it when the audience sends the waiter over while you are shooting. i understand they are the messenger but come on, i don't tap on them while they are serving food to the guests, why is it appropriate for them to tap on us while we are shooting...

Mark Ganglfinger August 17th, 2009 06:51 AM

I was shooting at a private residence the other day when someone approached me and introduced himself as a ex-bigtime videographer-producer. It started off as a freindly conversation about gear, but then turned into how people like me with digital cameras put him and his $20,000 analog camera out of business. When I asked him why he didn't just buy a digital camera he started complaining that he already spent his money on the $20,000 analog one.
After missing a decent shot of the bride (fortunately not a "must have" shot) I excused myself and walked away. A few seconds later I came back to where my equipment bag was and witnessed the father of the bride reaming out the wedding crasher who I thought was a relative (he was just a next door neighbor) and kicking him off the property.