How long is your average wedding video - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
In the UK everyone does the 2-3 hour video, so why bother trying to compete?

We do a 20-30 min main movie which includes the ceremony down to just 3 mins.

OMG!! I hear some of you cry. But be honest, what in the ceremony do the couple want to see over and over?

If they want the full 3 hour edit, plenty of others offering this.

Give it a go at least once, see what the folks think.
Danny, I completely agree. So far in my short stint as a wedding videographer, NOBODY has complained at the length of my videos. 20-30 minutes for what ends up being a cinematic style fusion video of the entire day, and I also do the full edit of the entire ceremony on a separate disc. They get the best of both worlds IMO. One really entertaining video to show friends, family etc., and the other disc for when they want to remember the ceremony itself without sifting through a bunch of other stuff. I could put both on the same disc if the couple wants. (Some people really feel like they get "more" with 2 separate discs. =P)

It's a love it or hate it offering.
Brad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #32
Major Player

Mine is 1.5 hours long, depending on the speeches. I am okay with doing a 45 minute finish product, but I don't think the client would want it. I am slowly going mainstream, all my bookings for next year are not in my present market, my present market are very devout Catholics, it's a "sin" to not include the communion, gospel in the finished product. It's all a big no no not to include the receiving line ( attendance check).

But I am open to ideas as soon as the season becomes dead, I'll edit a 45 minute version and present it to the client
Old August 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #33
Inner Circle

when I started doing short form a number of years ago I slowly started including that with the ty[icallong form. In the good ol' days of tape,they were 2.5 3 hours long and bored the hell out of me, so for chuckles I included the short form. After doing this for a few months and asking the couple which they watched they were in 100% agreement they watched the short edit. AH-HA.
I do include the ceremony uncut in a seperate disc so grandma can see everything (only 1 copy of that) but my selling point is a short or creatively condensed video that they can watch with only 1 bowl of popcorn :-)
IMO whatever style you do as long as the client knows it and likes the style...that's the most important thing. If they don't like your style they'll hire someone else.
Remember, some will, some won't, so what...Whos next!
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #34
Major Player

Brad, totally agree. We also include the ceremony, full speeches and anything else of note on a sepeate disk, basic edit, nothing fancy. No one watches it, just keeps them happy.

There are some brides which will compare what we offer, feature by feature and see Joe Bloggs offers 3 hours. So why would they want us who give them 30 mins. Surely 3 hours seems like better value.

But as our prices rise we want these type of clients less and less. Those who are looking to save every last £ are not going to want what we offer, even if they think they do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques