DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   When do your Weddings Finish? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/240264-when-do-your-weddings-finish.html)

Chris Harding August 3rd, 2009 04:43 PM

When do your Weddings Finish?

Hi Guys

I have a friend in Green Bay WI that is looking into doing weddings in his area and he has asked me roughly how long videographers stay at the reception??? Aparently the standard reception format is different to our typical wedding "down-under" and your brides have a Grand March about an hour into the reception and the bouquet toss is pretty early (around 8:30pm) ???? Here our receptions will start around 6pm and they have the main meal shortly after the bridal party arrives followed by the speeches. Desert then follows and then around say 8pm the bride will cut the cake and do her first dance. The guests usually then stay on the dance floor thru to around 10pm when they have the garter and bouquet routines and then followed by a bit more dancing. The bride and groom will usually have the guests assemble at 11:30pm in a big circle and say their goodbyes and exit at 11:45pm.

How different are receptions in the USA??? Our ceremonies are usually late afternoon (3 - 4pm)

Chris

Joel Peregrine August 3rd, 2009 05:58 PM

Hi Chris,

That schedule is about right. Long days, but in a way they are good for sde's because of the break in between the ceremony and the reception. (I heard once that break is a formality left over from the early days when farmers needed to take care of the cows after the wedding before they could go to the reception.) Ceremony times can start anywhere from 11:00 to 4:00 and the norm is about 2:00. Then there is additional locations for photos and finally the reception. Cocktails, dinner and toasts aren't done until 8:00 - 8:30, then dancing until midnight.

I have 4 hours of coverage included in my packages - must be consecutive. Seems to cover all the important events.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1180461)
Hi Guys

I have a friend in Green Bay WI that is looking into doing weddings in his area and he has asked me roughly how long videographers stay at the reception??? Aparently the standard reception format is different to our typical wedding "down-under" and your brides have a Grand March about an hour into the reception and the bouquet toss is pretty early (around 8:30pm) ???? Here our receptions will start around 6pm and they have the main meal shortly after the bridal party arrives followed by the speeches. Desert then follows and then around say 8pm the bride will cut the cake and do her first dance. The guests usually then stay on the dance floor thru to around 10pm when they have the garter and bouquet routines and then followed by a bit more dancing. The bride and groom will usually have the guests assemble at 11:30pm in a big circle and say their goodbyes and exit at 11:45pm.

How different are receptions in the USA??? Our ceremonies are usually late afternoon (3 - 4pm)

Chris

Chris Harding August 3rd, 2009 06:06 PM

Hi Joel

Much appreciated!! Chip (he is in Green Bay) will be pleased that he has some feedback in the same state!! I can just picture a farmer in his tux going to feed the cows!! But then again a farm doesn't run itself and it's always business before pleasure!!

Our weddings in Western Australia are usually scheduled around 4pm to escape the Summer mid-day heat!! They try to plan enough time between the ceremony end and the reception so the photographer can wisk the couple away for a photo shoot while the guests have pre-dinner drinks. We do have Church ceremonies but the majority are outdoor with a civil celebrant and take all of 15 mins to do!!!

Chris

Jason Robinson August 3rd, 2009 07:39 PM

Depends. I'm there the entire day. From 8-10am for prep, till the end of the reception or midnight, which ever comes first. But that is one of my sales points.

Joel Peregrine August 3rd, 2009 11:42 PM

If there is anything I can help Chip with have him contact me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1180492)
Hi Joel

Much appreciated!! Chip (he is in Green Bay) will be pleased that he has some feedback in the same state!! I can just picture a farmer in his tux going to feed the cows!! But then again a farm doesn't run itself and it's always business before pleasure!!

Our weddings in Western Australia are usually scheduled around 4pm to escape the Summer mid-day heat!! They try to plan enough time between the ceremony end and the reception so the photographer can wisk the couple away for a photo shoot while the guests have pre-dinner drinks. We do have Church ceremonies but the majority are outdoor with a civil celebrant and take all of 15 mins to do!!!

Chris

Chris Harding August 4th, 2009 05:54 AM

Hi Joel

That is very kind of you.

Chip has already registered here and is waiting for his approval from the boss Chris!!

Once that's done you guys can exchange emails..I'm sure Chip will appreciate that!!

Chris