DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How do you title the "chapters" of a wedding video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/30651-how-do-you-title-chapters-wedding-video.html)

Andre Andreev August 17th, 2004 08:51 PM

How do you title the "chapters" of a wedding video?

I am editing my first wedding and could use some advise in titling the different sections.

Please list the "chapters" you use for a Cathoic wedding (in this case) and the titles you use for them.

Example:

1. opening, church coverage: Alex and Maria's Wedding
2. bride prep: Maria Getting Ready

etc.

It would also be helpful if you list options for Orthodox / Jewish weddings etc.

Thank you!

-- Andre

Andre Andreev August 18th, 2004 10:50 AM

Clarification

In case my question is unclear...

I am trying to gain understanding of the structure and "title lingo" of wedding video which I am sure are very specific and contribute to the ambience of the product.

For instance, most wedding videos start with a title announcing who is getting merried (example: "Alex & Maria's Wedding") followed by establishing shots of the chappel and maybe arriving guests.

What are the main chapters(sections) you use and their corresponding titles?

Thank you.

-- Andre

Don Bloom August 18th, 2004 08:48 PM

Mine differ a little with each wedding but in general I use something like

From the Beginning (to play thru the whole thing)

Various chapters after that are titled simply;

The Ceremony

The Reception

Reception Opening Highlights (usually the receiving line/cocktail hour-this only runs about 60 seconds)

Recap/Highlights (generally named by the name of the music I use)

Credits

I try to keep it somewhat simple in naming the chapters as it just makes it easier for me.

Chris Wright August 18th, 2004 09:04 PM

I may be wrong but I think what he's referring to is the chapters within the wedding ceremony video itself

such as...

Processional
Giving of the Bride
Scripture Reading/Message
Exchange of Vows
Exchange of Rings
Presentation of Bride and Groom
Recessional
Credits

Andre Andreev August 18th, 2004 11:25 PM

2 things

Chris is right on his suggestion of chapters.
I am referring to 2 things:

Chapters: structure of the video. Wedding videos are divided in structured parts. What parts do you use in your videos? I am sure most will be identical for all videographers, but there might be variations which add to the experience.

Right now I work on a video which has the following structure:

- Church shots (intro)
- Guest arrival
- Groom prep
- Bride prep
- Ceremony
- "Receiving" line
- Reception (containing toasts, cake cutting, first dance, dancing, interview-style greetings)
- How we met montage

However I am sure that some people include:
- How he prposed
- When he knew he was in love with her
etc.

So, the first question is - what structure do you use and what chapters does it contain? Which chapters/parts are indispensable and which ones are optional? Which are the most requested?

The second question - most wedding videos have a title on screen before each chapter (while the video is running and not just in the DVD menu).

So, what titles do you give the chapters in your structure?

In my case,
chapter:Church Shots
title for this chapter: the Maria & Alexander's Wedding (as this is the beginning of the video).

Thank you.

Luis Caffesse August 18th, 2004 11:45 PM

I've never felt the need to put titles up during the video.
I think it kills the flow, and doesn't really add much.

Why put a title up that says "The Reception"?
People know what it is.

Now DVD menus, that's a different story.

Generally I simply put a few chapter points on the actual menu:

1. Opening
2. Ceremony
3. Reception
4. Toast (if it's a long toast)
5. Ending

Then, within each section I'll put chapter points so they can still skip around.

-Luis

Don Bloom August 19th, 2004 04:46 AM

First, I edit in short form so I have no reason to put chapters in for the ceremony. Most of my ceremonies are no more than 12 minutes MAXIMUM!

As for a CHAPTER that says RECEPTION thats on my main menu. It does not read RECEPTION at the beginning of that section of video.
I think we're talking about different things.

Don B

Chris Wright August 19th, 2004 06:23 AM

I think thats what I'm talking about too.

I don't add graphic titles on the video itself... just the DVD menu. I structure it like this:
Main Menu > Wedding Ceremony > Play Video or Scene Selection
just like a DVD movie. you can start from the beginning or browse through the chapters. you can also skip through the chapters while playing the video without going to the scene selection menu.

Waldemar Winkler August 19th, 2004 09:09 AM

Actual chaptering is based upon the number of features chosen by my clients. Here is a typical list:
1. Introduction
2. Interview (or Retrospective)
3. Last Hours
4. Ceremony
5. Photo Session ( or Interlude)
6. Presentation of Bride and Groom
7. Toasts
8. Traditional Dances
9. Cutting of the Cake
10. Garter/Boquet Toss
11. General Celebration
12. Conclusion

I try to stay chronological. The acutal labels I use for each chapter may change based upon my client's likes and dislikes, which I get through consultation.

Cesar Ruiz August 27th, 2004 10:36 AM

Andre,

Some have already said it, but I'll say it too in case it helps majority opinion.

I don't think that adding titles in the video is necessary. However, it is a style that I can envision working very well for the right wedding and the right couple. In my mind it gives it a very TV sitcom feel...only because Frazier used to do that. They would title certain sections of the episode. It's interesting, but again, I don't think its necessary.

Try an edit without the titles and see how you feel about it then.

As for naming DVD chapters, I usually end up with something similar to the following.
1. Intro
2. Processionals
3. Readings
4. Vows
5. Recessional
6. Toasts
7. Cake and Dance
8. Finale

Don't be afraid to combine some. Especially when things occur within 5 minutes of one another.

Example, I sometimes have a chapter called
Parent dances.