Beginner charging for weddings! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #31
Major Player

Susanto:

You just need more cameras for more angles and more audio sources. If you have enough of each to pick from, you have a lot easier time of it.

Jason:

I understand where you are coming from, but IMO you have been way too inexpensive in the past and even now. Forget what you think you are worth starting out, step up and charge close to your market area prices right away or it just makes it harder on everyone.

If you have $10K worth of gear (2 cams & wireless & digital audio gear and PC, etc.) and figure a 3 year depreciation, it's $166 per wedding (20 weddings a year) for equipment depreciation plus your hard costs before you even look at profitability.
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Thank you everyone for all the comments!!! I really appreciate them and you've all helped out a great deal! Thanks again!
Ferlon Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Ferlon:

Based on the fact you are trying to make things happen for your new business, and this gig is 10 months away, you most likely will have shot at least a few weddings by June of 2010. Be confident and don't sell yourself short.

With that said, $850 as a base price sounds okay to low, but markets seem to vary pretty wildly with marketing determining the price as much as the product. No one is ever going to make any type of a living or even build an equipment base at the $850 price point.

Also, you have to take the advice from the other posters on minimum gear required.
Okay, thanks! I don't want to make any huge mistakes on pricing, what would you start out charging?
Ferlon Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #34
Inner Circle

OK here's the thing. Someone in Virgina or Texas or Chicago would be hard pressed to suggest a starting price for Detroit. Each market is unique in it's demographics and economy so it would be nearly impossible to guess what you should be charging starting out in the business.
My suggestion would be to look at other videographers in your area see what their pricing is and what they offer for that money and adjust your pricing accordingly. Google would be your friend for this. Remember not everyone posts their prices but enough do so you should be able to get a good read for that.
remember it's not just pricing but what the client gets for that price. Don't be blasted by the really cheap people nor by the top most expensive people. Actually I would take the cheapest and the most expensive toss them and average out the rest then adjust you prices to that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques