DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Need help about web page creation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/42953-need-help-about-web-page-creation.html)

Linda Walker April 14th, 2005 06:57 AM

Need help about web page creation

I'm in the midst of creating a web page for a videography business and need some advice.

This web page is being created in Microsoft Publisher. The layout, while working in publisher, looks good. But when it is previewed the layout changes, putting the items on the page on the left side, leaving the right side of the page empty. Does anyone know how to correct this so that the design with span the width of the page when it is previewed?

Also, three photos have been added to this page. They are in a jpeg format. There photos were adjusted in Photoshop, adding a filter to give them a soft look. When previewed, they look almost to soft. Should I remove the filter to give them a more natural look? What is the best format to use for photos on the web?

This is my first attempt at building and designing a web page.

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

K. Forman April 14th, 2005 07:35 AM

One of the easiest ways to control objects, is by using a table. Place the objects in the cells, and they will stay put.

Linda Walker April 14th, 2005 07:39 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : One of the easiest ways to control objects, is by using a table. Place the objects in the cells, and they will stay put. -->>>

Can you do that in Publisher? Did you design your own website? If so, what program or application did you use?

Jon Omiatek April 14th, 2005 07:51 AM

Do you have frontpage? Why are you using publisher?

I am a novice at web design but you can check out my site. It's simple and to the point.

http://www.trulux.com

I used macromedia's fireworks to great the graphics and text. I then used frontpage to create tables, tables are used to center your graphics and or text. Without tables it will align itself on the left by default.

You can use internet explorer to view the source of any of my pages. It should give you a good idea how to do it yourself. Click
view then click source inside of internet explorer to view the source of any page.

ASP and PHP pages use backend source and only display html, so you wil be unable to view those pages through internet explorer.

If I can be of assistance, let me know.

Jon

K. Forman April 14th, 2005 08:21 AM

I think I'll agree with Jon... Frontpage is easier, and it's free with Explorer usually. Tables are fairly simple, but it's been a while since I've used those programs. I have been using Dreamweaver for site design, but, I did use frontpage for years, as I was learning.

I also suggest getting a copy of Netscape and Firefox. Microsft's programs tend to write code specifily for I.E., and somethings don't always work for other browsers. You can quickly check your pages for those anomolies, and see what Netscape will do to your site.

Nick Jushchyshyn April 14th, 2005 08:58 AM

For JPGs, make sure you use Photoshop's "Save for Web" feature under the File menu. This will allow you to adjust the quality and size settings to control image quality and file size before saving out the finished JPG file.

I do virtually all my web desing & development work in Macromedia Dreamweaver, but for tables, the HTML code is pretty simple.
Replace the square brackets below with "<" and ">" symbols to convert to HTML:

[table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"]
[tr]
[td]&nbsp;[/td]
[td width="500"]&nbsp;[/td]
[td]&nbsp;[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

This is a 3 column table where the middle column is always 500 pixels wide, regardless of how big or small the browser window is.

Hope this helps.
Have fun.

Keith Loh April 14th, 2005 09:48 AM

Linda it would help if you posted a link to your page.