DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Using a PD170 and GL2 together (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/44488-using-pd170-gl2-together.html)

Pete Wilie May 12th, 2005 08:49 PM

Using a PD170 and GL2 together

I will be using both a PD170 and a GL2 in an upcoming wedding. Any suggestions as to how to configure these cameras so that cutting between them in post can be done with a minimum of color correction (hopefully none)?

TIA.

Best Regards,
Pete

Jonathan Houser May 12th, 2005 11:39 PM

I would shoot as little to no footage during the reception with the GL2. When the lights get low, they have a hard time. The 170 rocks in low light as you probably already know. The two should match up well as long as what you are shooting well lit. I would balance the GL2, then bring the 170 over and match it to the GL2. You can do fine tuning to the white balance in the custom presets. Best of luck to you!

Ben Lynn May 13th, 2005 06:45 AM

In my experiences with mixing Canon and Sony camera's there is no quick fix to get the camera's to match. The Sony's run cool and the Canon's run warm. You may get them somewhat close but there will always be a noticable difference. Be ready to color correct in post.

Ben Lynn

Don Bloom May 13th, 2005 07:48 AM

You can go into the CP of the 170 and do some adjustments to the camera to better match but as stated before it will not be a perfect match and you'll definately need to do some color correction in post.
Don

John Laird May 13th, 2005 02:50 PM

I used a 170 with a GL2 all last season and you can get the two to match perfectly in good light and a little CC in post. The hard part comes when the lights are low. This can happen even in a ceremony and that's where the two will diverge pretty quickly. The GL2 has noticably more grain in low level light. The best you can do in post is use a dynamic noise reduction plugin and brighten it up a little. Stick to the 170 for the reception and you're set!

John

Pete Wilie May 13th, 2005 11:58 PM

Thanks everyone for postings your suggestions.

But I need some more detailed help. I am brand new to the PD170. So if anyone point me to an article somewhere on color matching two cameras (in production) that would be great. I'm not even sure what's the basic procedure.

Here are some of my thoughts. Please let me know if there is a better way.
  1. Setup both cameras connected to video monitors side by side
  2. Display bars from both
  3. Calibrate each monitor separately
  4. Since the GL2 is warmer, and that's the look i want, change the PD170 to match the GL2
  5. Manual white balance both cameras
  6. Adjust the PD170 using the Custom presets
    Which ones do I adjust, and in what order?
    • Color Lvl -- Decrease/Increase color intensity
    • Sharpness -- Softer/Sharper
    • WB Shift -- Bluish/Reddish
    • AGC Limit -- 6/12/off
  7. My intuition is to start with the WB Shift -- is this correct?
  8. Should I adjust while displaying the bars first?
  9. Then adjust with my primary subject in the frame?

Best Regards,
Pete

David Ennis July 5th, 2005 08:42 AM

Wow, Pete, this thread bottomed out quickly. Have you had any luck fiddling around yourself?

Pete Wilie July 5th, 2005 09:56 AM

Fred,

I obtained partial success in the studio, but it didn't work out too well on location. But I suspect this was primarily because on location we didn't have time to experiment/test/calibrate both cameras to the actual lighting conditions.

I don't really have anything conclusive to report other than I think it is possible given enough time and testing. My main conclusion is that in the future I will just rent a second PD150/PD170.

Bernard Diaz July 5th, 2005 10:58 AM

Pete, like Ben said, it's not easy to match the two cameras.
since I've attempted to match a PD-170 with an XL1s in the past I speak from experience.
But, If I could do it all over, I would ask permision shoot some footage where the ceremony and reception prior to the wedding. (If not too far from home) and would adjust the cameras accordingly.
Most receptions have some daylight left until the sun sets then, you have a whole new ball game. On top of that they lower the lighing in a lost of these places.
If the ceremony is out doors, you can approximate the look of footage in post, but my headaches were usually at the reception or dark churches where it is dark.

Dumby down the sharpness of the 170 and crank up the sharpness settings of the GL2 without going overboard as too much sharpness causes noise.
Good luck

Glen Elliott July 6th, 2005 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Wilie
I will be using both a PD170 and a GL2 in an upcoming wedding. Any suggestions as to how to configure these cameras so that cutting between them in post can be done with a minimum of color correction (hopefully none)?

TIA.

Best Regards,
Pete

From my experience the GL-1 and Canons in general tend to be a bit warmer in their mid tones. The Sony's on the other hand tend to be a bit cooler.

Matching the two camera is possible with fairly decent results. As Bernard said, you'll experience increasing difficulty as the light levels lower. This amplifies the strengths and weaknesses of each camera respectively. In low-light environments a larger issue than color response surfaces- noise. The GL-2 will be considerably more noisy than the 170 under the same dim lighting conditions. Furthermore, the GL-2 tends to oversaturate colors in this environment as well. The only idea I have to help this is use additional lighting. Enough light to bring the image back to a luminance level where the cameras are on closer ground.