Wardrobe Etiquette - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 6th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Oh no, I would *never* consider a full tuxedo, and not just because of the Central Texas weather. A tux is is a tad bit presumptuous. You don't want to look like a member of the wedding party, and you're already calling too much attention to yourself as it is with the camera and all. For a high-end wedding, a suit with vest and tie is as far as you need to go. There's nothing wrong with taking off the suit jacket when you're working, either (that's what the vest is for).

If it's not a high-end wedding, slacks and a button-down shirt (tucked in, with a belt!) are perfectly appropriate. Keep a tie handy if you feel under-dressed. This ain't rocket science.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Paluch View Post
Full tuxedo every wedding every time, Did you guys ever think that maybe just maybe you need to upgrade the image of video man, and maybe you can get some more respect and with that more money.
sarcasm right.... right?

If not, then I'll just assume that up in your neck of the woods or for the clientele you serve that a full tux is acceptable, possibly even required. If I showed up to a wedding around here wearing a tux I'd get laughed out of the church. I saw one photographer down here in a tux and he just looked way out of place. Nobody shows up in a tux around these parts unless they're in the wedding party and even then I've been noticing a trend away from the traditional tux for groomsmen. It could very well just be a regional difference.

I don't think that wearing a tux to a wedding will garner me any more business than wearing a nice pair of slacks and a button down shirt, but I do think that if I conveyed indifference/disrespect by showing up in jeans and a t-shirt that I'd definitely lose business.

Unless I'm being naive, it's the quality of your work that gains you "respect and with that more money".

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #18
Major Player

All black for me ( black golf shirt, black dress pants). I do bring a sports jacket just in case the Bride wants me to wear something formal ( never had a request).
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Brides ask for it

Brides expect us to be in a tux and ask for it. We get compliment every wedding we do on our professional look. The guys who are dressed down get laughed at. I guess it depends what part of the country you are from. We believe image in all aspects of our company is important. We also believe it is a respect thing for the bride and groom. We do dress down at outdoor low key events, but we always try to look our absolute best.
Walt Paluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Yeah, I can't imagine wearing a tux either. I will usually just wear a dress shirt with black pants - sometimes a tie and that's usually just for the ceremony. It's just too hard to operate all the gear and have a tie getting in the way. I can't remember that last time I worked with a still photographer what wore a tie.

I hate to stereotype, be around here, the only videographers I see wearing ties are the from the lower end/cheaper weddings. Then again, like Ethan said, it could be a regional thing.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #21
Trustee

Myself & offsider wear all navy blue - dress pants, short sleeve collared shirt with logo, Cap with logo - someone commented we looked like a swat team when we arrive with the gear. I have spare shirts & hats in case.

My aim is not primarily to blend in with the guests - just not to stand out. I aim to be hard working & professional and the clothing should back up that image. It's also advertising, guests can see my company logo on my clothing & on my gear.
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #22
Major Player

Always a suit, always a white shirt and tie appropriate for a wedding guest.

I see photographers dressed so scuffily and to me it is totally disrespectful to the bride, groom and wedding party. The photographer often ends up on the video and they look liek some oik who has gate crashed the party.

Show respect. A T shirt with Videographer and name of company on the back is just plain uncouth and very cheap. Sorry but baseball caps are just a plain no no. This is a wedding not a speedway meeting.

Yes we run around for 10 hours but so what? If its hot the jacket can come off, and buy a shirt half a size to big so it's not too tight on the neck. When the wedding party dress down, so can you, but until the wedding attire comes off, stay smart and a class above the opposition.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Our Standard Fair for both my wife & I is Black dress slacks With a black collered shirt
with our company logo in light gold on the back, 98% of the time that's aceptable to the client. WE always consult the cilent before hand as to weather or not that is aceptable for thier occasion. If it is not and it hasn't been a few
times. Then I switch to black slack's with a shirt & tie for me and my wife selects a
an apprropriate top. Ive never had a full suite jacket request but if that was the case the I wouldn't hesitate to do so, never had a tux request I have to admit.
Robin Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I used to show up in all black (black pants + black polo) but people would still notice us for being "too" black. So now I've been shooting wedding with black dress pants but a white short-sleeved polo instead. Like one of the posters mentioned earlier, I just end up looking like the most casually dressed guest.

My biggest "compliment" from a guest so far has been "I didn't even notice the videographers shooting the ceremony." This was after watching the SDE and I was in fact running around the whole time with a steadicam.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
We are working so hard for videography to be accepted as a must have for weddings (just like photography) and these two clowns showing up like this at the church and reception probably didn't help.
No need for tuxedos or ties or even a suit, just something decent and appropriate (or ironed).
Don't ruin it for everyone else..
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I'm guessing these two 'clowns' charge VERY little for their services; probably to the point that their fee is laughable. So given that, I actually can understand their decision to show up wearing crap clothes. And honestly, the B&G shouldn't be upset because that's what they get for hiring someone for a crap fee.

Does it hurt our industry? Yes, but not any more than charging a laughable fee for video work. Guys like this just don't get it and probably never will. Luckily, they are targeting the bottom of the barrel when it comes to weddings (usually), so I wouldn't worry about it all that much.
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #26
Inner Circle

OK I've been reading with some interest. As one who DOES wear a silk T shirt on many occasions to the RECEPTION (never to a ceremony UNLESS it's outdoors and really hot/humid and NO I've never been questioned about it even at $300,000 weddings) I think it's up to the individual as to what they want to wear AS LONG AS IT'S, 1)Clean 2)Pressed 3)Not torn or beat up and doesn't have a Metallica logo on it.
I know guys that wear logo'd polo shirts and guys that wear suits. Personally I couldn't do either at a CEREMONY, most are in a church setting and I really don't feel I need to advertise there. However at the reception that's a different story. Let's face it, we're NOT invisible. We've got a camera in our hands, most often some sort of light on it or near it, some are wearing a full steadicam or at the very least a handheld stabilizer. I personally use a DVMultirig or monopod depending on the situation, so the last thing I'm worried about at a reception is being "hidden". A ceremony though I do stay low key and at least out of the way and prefer not to bring moree attention to myself with a logo'd shirt but again I do know some guys that wear them.
It's up to the individualand the market. BTW I haven't seen a videographer wearing a tux since 1988. Photogs, yes even to this day but not videographers.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #27
Major Player

I had to Google what a Tuxedo was. Not something worn in the UK and more an american piece of clothing.

In the UK a groom will more than likely wear a morning suit, which is probably the UK equivalent. Certainly I wouldn't wear a morning suit unless it was a very upper class wedding and was asked to wear one, in which case I would find out exactly where the groom was hiring and get the same colour co-ordination. As yet that has only happened once.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #28
Regular Crew

If the groom is wearing a tux then I'm in my black tus also. If he's in a suit, then I wear my black suit. I think it's a matter of professionalism when I have heard of others showing up in shorts and t-shirts and photographers in jeans and t-shirt I think it shows respect for the event.
Ken Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #29
Trustee

We used to wear tuxes for the longest time (like 10 years) we dont anymore I find that brides are looking for a new style of shooter (like a photo journalism thing) and tuxes remind them of their moms video guy. Although I do think we should dress nice and neat so I still where tux pants (extra durable) and a black tux shirt I am considering wearing a vest but im still on the fence about that. I think if you see guys wearing baseball hats and torn jeans they may be friends of the family and doing it as a favor or something.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #30
Major Player

As long as you dress appropriately for the venue and keep an interested look on your face, you will be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Wardrobe Etiquette-smile.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff Kellam; October 20th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Jeff Kellam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques