DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Funny Story (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/465464-funny-story.html)

Steven Davis October 10th, 2009 10:09 PM

Funny Story

So we are shooting this wedding. And we have two cams running, one on a tripod, and I have my steadicam pilot on with a v1u atop. I'm doing my pan of the dance floor, I'm probably in my 3rd hour straight with the pilot, (back hurting time.) I'm doing a spin around the dance floor and come to a stop on one side, when suddenly I hear this voice from behind me, "You are blocking my shot." I turn around and see this lady with a 120 dollar camera in her hand. I bit my tongue, because I felt like saying, 'lady, I'm holding 9000.00 dollars of equipment, and you are worried about your little 640x480 jpeg?' Yeah, Yeah, I said ,'excuse me, I apologize.' Sigh. Ok, not that funny.

Colin McDonald October 10th, 2009 10:48 PM

Well actually...

I predate these new-fangled devices but it used to be when you moved your yourself and your camera to a new position it was courtesy to check that you weren't interfering with some one else's field of view, even if it was only an Instamatic camera they had. So she did perhaps have a point.

It is quite funny though, not many guests would have the nerve to take on the professionals. You get all sorts of folk at weddings.

I used to give way with great ostentation in these situations - that usually meant I got what I wanted anyway ("no, no it's quite alright, you stand there if you need to) and nobody got huffy.

Somewhat impractical in your position with a steadicam though!

Perhaps deep down we all long to be still photographers and totally dominate the wedding
:-)

Chris Hurd October 11th, 2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1430553)
... I said ,'excuse me, I apologize.' Sigh.

Kudos upon you, Steven, you did the right thing. Have a virtual plate of warm cookies and a glass of milk, on me. Well done.

Noel Lising October 11th, 2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1430561)

It is quite funny though, not many guests would have the nerve to take on the professionals. You get all sorts of folk at weddings.

:-)

I have guest sans Creative Director who keeps bugging me about my camera position. I ignored him most of the day until, he came out with a DSLR with expensive lenses and started shooting photos of the first dance. He then had the nerve to ask me to move as I am blocking the view of some guest. Since we are in the same shooting position, I snapped at him. " Why are you shooting from the same angle as me?" He even answered me " Coz they are facing this way." I said " DUH" and he never bothered me again.

Justin Kuhn October 11th, 2009 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to keep from being a d**k...I'm getting mad just sitting here picturing your story, even.

I see Colin's point but there's a difference, you've got a contract to make good on. That's the irksome thing, when you're just trying to do your job and people give you trouble for it.