DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Reception Lighting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/470488-reception-lighting.html)

Mark Von Lanken January 5th, 2010 12:05 PM

Reception Lighting

We have been using on camera lights during the reception for about 10 years. Then about 3 years ago we added off camera lighting which really makes a big difference. On the most recent Von Real at EventDV we explore off camera reception lighting. You can watch it here.

EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource

The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME

One of our topics at the upcoming IN[FOCUS] convention will be lighting.
IN[FOCUS]

Warren Kawamoto January 6th, 2010 02:16 PM

DIY these reception lights. Cheap and easy to make with these parts. If you want longer run time, change the battery to a higher capacity one. The only missing part is the bogen stud-hotshoe adaptor.

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 368B Basic Black Light Stand | 368B
Bescor | KLK-50XT Light and Battery Kit | KLK50XT | B&H Photo
Wireless Remote Control RM01 to Switch ON and OFF for Any DC12 Volt Devices 12V Alkaline Battery REMOTE CONTROL-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

Warren Kawamoto January 6th, 2010 02:23 PM

please delete this post, double posted by mistake

Jimmy Conway January 7th, 2010 03:41 AM

Thank you Warren!

Lukas Siewior January 9th, 2010 05:30 PM

I have the same light but I have it mounted in my b-cam, which is on a tripod. I also connect the light to the power supply. This light is 50W so it runs only 1.5hr on my 7.2Ah batteries.

Warren Kawamoto January 10th, 2010 02:35 AM

I just found these high capacity 10Ah D cells which, when strung together, powers a 50w light for 2.4 hours. The battery pack weighs only 3.5lbs. I just ordered a bunch of these D cells and I'll be the guinea pig to see how well this works. Now that I think of it, I took apart an old Anton Bauer ProPac once, and saw that it was made up of D cells connected in series. I'll be putting together a 11 cell, 13.2v system.

http://www.batteryspace.com/dsizeseriesbatteries.aspx

They also sell ready-made 12v kits.
Portable Video Light: 50W Quartz Light with 12V 10Ah NiMH Battery / smart Charger in Nylon Fanny Bag

Or 13.2v kits that are 12% brighter than 12v
http://www.batteryspace.com/portable...nfannybag.aspx

Philip Howells January 10th, 2010 06:58 PM

Mention of kit running off mains power prompts me to wonder if colleagues outside the UK have to submit to/satisfy the Health and Safety people and have their gear PAT tested every year (at ridiculous cost).

The bigger hotels and all local authority venues here insist on seeing the tags on every plug in every socket. If not they're simply unplugged. It's one reason we are completely battery powered though flexibility and simplicity are also major factors.

Warren Kawamoto January 10th, 2010 11:48 PM

The only thing plugged into the mains would be the smart charger, which is UL safety approved.

Peter Ralph January 11th, 2010 08:31 AM

Philip: I have shot many times in the UK, two weddings this year - both at prestigious London hotels. Never noticed any tags on the lighting plugs, or anyone checking.

Is this a new reg?

No such requirements in the US that I have heard of

Jim Snow January 11th, 2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1470551)
Mention of kit running off mains power prompts me to wonder if colleagues outside the UK have to submit to/satisfy the Health and Safety people and have their gear PAT tested every year (at ridiculous cost).

The bigger hotels and all local authority venues here insist on seeing the tags on every plug in every socket. If not they're simply unplugged. It's one reason we are completely battery powered though flexibility and simplicity are also major factors.

Is that limited to pros or does it apply to everyone - for example someone sitting in the lobby who plugs in to recharge their cell phone?

Philip Howells January 11th, 2010 12:20 PM

Jim and Peter

This is the official line:

The Health & Safety at Work Act (1974) places such an obligation in the following circumstances:

* 1. Where appliances are used by employees.
* 2. Where the public may use appliances in establishments such as hospitals, schools, hotels, shops etc.
* 3. Where appliances are supplied or hired.
* 4. Where appliances are repaired or serviced.

The level of inspection and testing required is dependant upon the risk of the appliance becoming faulty, which is in turn dependant upon the type of appliance, the nature of its use and the environment in which it is used.

The last paragraph is the part that delights the authorities for it allows them to overlook or enforce according to their whim. Strangely places outside London are often stricter in their enforcement eg when we were touring a show for British Airways in the 1980s it was Glasgow where the men in suits turned up and insisted on us pulling off cloth stuck to plywood to show that the plywood had been fire-resistant treated.

The idiocy of such regs is reinforced by the parallel law that for some years electrical equipment must be sold with the plug attached - which often means moulded.

Colin McDonald January 11th, 2010 04:57 PM

I just wonder how they manage to find so many electricians called Pat to do the testing.
:-)

We had one in the school (more of a Mickey than a Pat) who used cut the plugs off anything electrical that showed the slightest defect and then left without telling you. Then you went to use your video or your charger later that week and had a nice little surprise.

Kelly Langerak February 8th, 2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1468766)

I can't find that Hot Shoe Adapter anywhere. Thanks for the tips.

Vishal Gupta February 11th, 2010 04:55 PM

I found this link, however there is no picture of the adapter, so I am not quite sure it will work.

Manfrotto Bogen Rapid Adapter, Converts 5/8" Stud -17mm Long 1/4"-20m Thread 014-14. 014-14. Manfrotto Bogen Tripod Accessories.

Also, why exactly do we need the hot shoe adapter for this DIY setup?

Thanks

Kelly Langerak March 3rd, 2010 04:24 PM

I've setup my reception lights and was wondering if any of you who use the reception lights added a dimmer to them? If so, where did you get it? Model Number?

I'm using the 50 watt lights and wanted to know if you guys see the need for a dimmer?

Travis Cossel March 3rd, 2010 05:41 PM

A dimmer can be very useful, but if you're using a 50w off-camera light I doubt I'd use one. 50w isn't all that bright in my opinion.

We use Britek off-camera lighting, and the lights are set up with two bulbs (250w each) with a switch to control each bulb. So we can operate a 250w light or a 500w light. Some people might think it's overkill, but it creates really dramatic lighting and our clients love it.

Mark Von Lanken March 3rd, 2010 06:35 PM

I use the 75 watt bulbs and I would like to use a dimmer, but not because the lights are too bright. I would like to bring the lights up gradually with a dimmer. It seems like I asked the creator of the Reception Light about a dimmer and if I recall correctly, he said it would drive up the cost too high.

I agree with Travis, 50 watt lights, 10 or more feet in the air is not a very hot light. I guess if you had a very small dance floor they may be slightly overkill, but it would have to be a very small dance floor. If you did find yourself in that situation, I guess you could use just one light, or bounce them both off the ceiling, if the ceiling is low enough.

After you have used them at your first reception, let us know if you felt they were too bright.

Don Bloom March 3rd, 2010 07:24 PM

I just used an off camera light much in the same manner as MVL. I made it myself using an Anton Bauer light with a 75W bulb and an adapter cable I made a while back to fit a cig adapter Bescor battery. Set it up about 9 or 10 feet by the DJs setup since he was close to the dance floor. I left the soft box off the light and it worked great. Nice little highlights especially for the first dance and other special dances. I moved it to the opposite side of the floor when the dance floor opened and found it worked well there also but keeping in mind the DJ had some nice LEDs running to light the floor with. I did move it back because I was a bit concerned about someone knocking it over since there wasn't a post close to the floor to protect it but in either case it worked out just fine.
So I agree a 50W even a 75W a few feet away from the floor and 10 feet in the air really is not a hot light at all.

Travis Cossel March 3rd, 2010 07:27 PM

I forgot to add that we do pack diffusion sheets with us in case we want to soften the lighting or knock it down some. Usually we go with a bare light with just the barndoors, though.

Michael Ojjeh March 3rd, 2010 08:42 PM

Ok, this may be an overkill, I use a 1000W soft Box with a dimmer (I never use all the 1000W) I placed it very high so it is not in anyone's eye level, I dime it as need it, I also have a remote for it so I can turn it on/off whenever I want.

Peter Manojlovic March 4th, 2010 11:21 AM

Question about the Wirless light

Is the wireless reception light a halogen light?

If so, at 50-100 watts, what is the colour temperature? Does it change with a higher wattage rating??

Mark Von Lanken March 4th, 2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1494549)
Ok, this may be an overkill, I use a 1000W soft Box with a dimmer (I never use all the 1000W) I placed it very high so it is not in anyone's eye level, I dime it as need it, I also have a remote for it so I can turn it on/off whenever I want.

Hi Michael,

I used a Lowel Rifa 55 (500 watt soft box) for a couple of years before switching to the Reception Lights. You are right, a dimmer will make a higher wattage light usable when you don't need that much light, but I really like the Reception Lights better than the softbox. I never had one negative complaint, but I always thought the softbox made a bigger apperarance than I liked and even when it was off, you still saw this big white surface. I really like the size of the Reception Lights, and when they are off, you don't even see them.

Mark Von Lanken March 4th, 2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1494856)
Is the wireless reception light a halogen light?

If so, at 50-100 watts, what is the colour temperature? Does it change with a higher wattage rating??

Yes and the color temperate is 3200K and no, the color temperature does not change between a 50 watt light and 100 watt light.

Mark Wheeler March 4th, 2010 01:17 PM

I thought that this might add some value to the discussion.

American DJ ProPar 56 CW WW

This is a 36watt PAR 56 LED fixture (approx. 120watt max tungsten equiv.) which is color variable and fully dimmable via a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483435-REG/NSI_Leviton_N3004_00D_3004_Dimmer_DMX_Control.html. Generic http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/195861-REG/Altman_6_BD_4_Four_Leaf_Barndoor_Set.html should fit.

I just wish it worked with 12VDC.

Travis Cossel March 4th, 2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1494856)

As Mark stated, the color temp does not change. However, if you're using a dimmer the color temp will change unless you're using the special LED lights.

Michael Ojjeh March 4th, 2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1494881)
I really like the Reception Lights better than the softbox. I never had one negative complaint, but I always thought the softbox made a bigger apperarance than I liked and even when it was off, .

Mark, do they have any diffusion ? they seems harsh if you turn them all the way up,where the soft box It is much easier on the eyes.

Travis Cossel March 4th, 2010 09:29 PM

Just purchase some diffusion sheets and you can soften the light quick and easy.

Mark Von Lanken March 4th, 2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1495162)
Mark, do they have any diffusion ? they seems harsh if you turn them all the way up,where the soft box It is much easier on the eyes.

Hi Michael,

Travis is right, just bring along some diffusion paper. The Reception Lights do include a glass diffuser. When I first bought mine, Darrell, the owner of the Receptions Lights, said I may want to remove the diffusion glass since I had been using a 500 watt soft box. Granted, I was running it about 50% and never 100%.

So the first time I used the Reception Lights, I removed the glass diffusers and brought along some diffusion paper. I did not need the diffusion paper. Remember that the Reception Lights are about 10 feet in the air and are about 10 feet or more from the center of the dance floor. Lights that far away and that high in the air are not harsh and certainly not an eye soar. When a light source is at eye level it is very irritating. I have never had a single complaint about the Reception Lights and the photographers love them. They add just enough light to the dance floor without overpowering it and they especially do not ruin the atmosphere of the room since they only illuminate the dance floor.

Travis Cossel March 5th, 2010 12:35 AM

I'm sure Mark has noticed this too, but when you get the lights up high it also gives you more latitude in shot selection without casting a shadow on the couple.

Christopher Figueroa March 12th, 2010 09:13 AM

My Camera Light of Choice
Sony HVL-20DW2 20-watt Video Light - for use with L Series Batteries
$79.00 aat B&H Photo Video

For 95% of the situations I'm in, this 20-watt light that uses Sony Camcorder batteries is perfect. It's light (not-heavy) and runs full-power for 2-hours. My style is low-key documentary, and this is perfect for Run&Gun shooting.

*One drawback to this light. Sony in their infinite wisdom made the hot shoe portion of the light very weak. So one time, i placed my camera down, and someone gently kicked it and it fell on it's side and the light shoe broke off. I wasn't very happy to say the least.