DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   somebody copied our work.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/472700-somebody-copied-our-work.html)

Susanto Widjaja February 11th, 2010 09:46 PM

somebody copied our work....

Hey guys,

Please have a look at this post from this company

Link removed per request

and my video

Pat & Ley Prewedding film

and let me know whether you think that they copied my concept/storyboard/song/bloopers/pretty much everything..

Is this really unacceptable or is it just me ??

Santo

Travis Cossel February 11th, 2010 10:59 PM

Susanto, I watched the first 2 minutes of your video .. then the first 2 minutes of the other video ... expecting a total copy. However, to be perfectly honest, the two videos played entirely different for me. The only thing that stuck out was that you both used the same song.

So I then watched the last part of both videos, and again, the same song was shared but the actual shots and editing and story didn't really strike me as copying. I'm being perfectly honest in that I felt the two videos played very differently despite the use of the same songs. And the bloopers at the end? I've seen a lot of different places do this in the past, so I guess it just doesn't surprise me that they did it also.

I will say I felt your video had a much higher production value. You guys do outstanding work. It's very likely that this other company saw your video and decided to try and pursue the concept. Inherently, there is nothing wrong with that, although it's really unfortunate that they chose to use the same 2 songs.

We've had similar instances of people 'copying' our work, and to be honest you just need to shrug it off and take it as flattery. When you're producing work like you guys are it's just inevitable for others to try and mimic it. In this case, I felt like they mostly pursued the idea behind the video and didn't really set out to copy yours (although, again, using the same songs was a bad idea in my opinion).

I've seen an example or two in the past where someone copied another studio's video by using the same song AND copied it almost shot-for-shot. To me, THAT is unacceptable. In this case, I think it's kind of borderline and I would just try and take it as a compliment to someone striving to achieve what you do. Cheers!

Susanto Widjaja February 12th, 2010 12:08 AM

Hi travis, I respect your professional opinion although I still feel differently..

The concept of my "bubble tea" video was to show the story in two different point of view and evolve from there.

I completely understand when people who got inspired and hence have similar style with the work that they are inspired from. But this one is like copying my storyboard and get the credit out of it. I spent a lot of time to plan and storyboard my films so to see it copied like this kinda pissed me off.

I would really appreciate it if you would watch the video in full and let me know if your thoughts remain the same.

Would be great to hear more opinions from others too :)

Thanks again travis.

Tom Sessions February 12th, 2010 01:09 AM

I watched both and I can see some similarities in the concept but not enough to call it copying when it comes to the content. Your "Stalker" clip seemed to play better as far as storytelling goes. This guy was persistent wasn't he?

The out-takes on the back side of this clip reminds me of just how difficult doing these types of videos are...Unfortunately, potential clients think these things are put together with little or no effort and therefore shouldn't cost hardly anything to produce.

Nicholas de Kock February 12th, 2010 01:45 AM

I don't really see it either, they are similar yet very different. I live by the reality that if you don't want people to copy your work don't post it online, once it's online it's a free for all fest. People draw inspiration from everywhere, you should be flattered, you're a trend setter. When someone is literally using your video under their name that's a crime.

Sean Seah February 12th, 2010 01:46 AM

"When prashi and anu discussed their storyline with us, we were thrilled and could not wait to film theirs. Just for head start, they are a fan of Papercranes and Papercranes is the guru in pre-wedding film, and they have studied a lot of papercranes’ work so much so they even brainstormed their storyboard. Since it was our first attempt, we were under a lot of pressure ‘coz we knew we ought to do a good one as they would be premiering it on the reception night. It was not easy but we got to pull it off. Shooting in melbourne has been great; the shooting process was fun despite the long hours, wonderful melbourne streets as any little corner could create superb shots, and the cool weather that makes the shooting pleasant. Of course it was not easy to act in public, but with their out-going and easy-going characteristics, all these was not a problem to them, and they only had one-take for most of the shots. (Of course, they had some bloopers too!!)"

I guess there is basis for the similarity. The statement above proves they actually studied Papercrane's work to come up with the script. It would not have been that bad until I see them using the same music as Santo's bubble pre wed (and even the bloopers part!) and that is really not too nice.

There is no copyright to the way things are done but I was thinking they could have worked a little harder to make it more original.

Dimitris Mantalias February 12th, 2010 01:49 AM

Hi Susanto. I too watched both videos so I'd like to share one thought or two. For a start, there are striking similiarities between the two. The order of the (same) songs, and the bloopers made me laugh a bit. It's sure that those guys watched your film many times and decided to go for a very similar setup. It's clear that they try to follow your concept in this, but they did it in a way that although it's evident, one can't really accuse them for exact copy. They did a different kind of editing (mind you, yours is much better) and changed some of your ideas in order to fit their work.

Well, you have to accept it. From the time you (all of us) decide to upload your work on the Net, you have to expect that at one point somebody will either copy this work shot by shot or will be "extremely" inspired! In your case, you can't really do many things, other than be angry, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't worth it. We had a recent case recently that those guys in Greece, totally copied our shooting and editing style (well, our "previous generation" videos at least) at a point that I wondered "when did we do those videos"! At the beginning there was a bit of an anger but later we thought that those guys don't deserve our time. All those people are just visitors in this industry. Let them be...

Susanto Widjaja February 12th, 2010 01:51 AM

Hi guys,

After two cup of coffee and a nice chat some friends just now, I came to my senses..

There is no point figuring out whether its bad or its right or is it copied or is it just "inspired from"

These guys just trying to make it somehow and they just chose the dark path.. can't stop them. and can't stop their friends (yes there are others coming)

so let's just make better work and give them a hell of a hard time to even copy our work!

This has kicked me hard in the butt..

Thanks so much for all of you who've taken the time (15mins+) to watch the videos :P

PS: THanks Rochelle!

Santo

Chris Harding February 12th, 2010 02:01 AM

Hi Santo

To me they are completely different and you certainly wouldn't have any basis for copyright infringement. I personally would be flattered that the author thought enough of your production to work along the same lines. Shows how much you are admired so really you should be proud that someone regards your style so highly that they feel they must try to follow the style of the master!!

Rather than be annoyed, I would be proud that I was good enough for someone to want to emulate my style!!

Chris

Noel Lising February 12th, 2010 07:47 AM

Hi Susanto, I dont think the other guys copied your concept, maybe they were inspired by it. The thing with this is basically all love stories are the same, guy meets girl, fell in love, got engaged. For me this is like shooting a shampoo commercial, lather, rinse, repeat. Although they are shot differently with different concepts, the gist of the story is the same.

My 2 cents ( in Canadian currency). LOL

Susanto Widjaja February 12th, 2010 08:14 AM

hi guys,

Ok, I think it may be a good idea if I explain why I think its a copy..

My bubble tea video is storyboarded in a way that we start with the guy's point of view when he's chasing the girl..

and then we change the song into another song.. and we change the point of view to be the girl's point of view where we can see what is actually happening.
For example,
on the guy's point of view, when the guy is giving bubble tea every week, the girl was ignorant
on the girl's point of view, when the guy is giving bubble tea every week, the girl was actually happy but she didn't want him to find out

and then at the end, we see how they are together and having lunch while drinking bubble tea..

so there you go... These three key points have been clearly copied and not to mention the same 2 songs that were used and it is such a "coincidence" that they also have bloopers at the end.. I know that the majority thinks that it is not a copy and I respect that. I accept the possibility that my judgment may be highly affected by my love for this prewedding film since I put a lot of thoughts into it.

But bottom line.. I'm over this.. I think its a waste of time to discuss about this and I admit that it was anger that made me posting this topic in the first place.

But Noel, with all due respect please don't tell me that prewedding film is only boy meet girl, fell in love, got engaged and that's it..

that's like telling me that all we do in prewedding film is based on template... I put a lot of thoughts into each of prewedding film.. and every story is treated differently...

Thanks buddy :)

Santo

Susanto Widjaja February 12th, 2010 08:26 AM

by the way, I emailed the company and they replied back and apologised.. the admit their mistake.

its all good now and I'm happy :)

Santo

Noel Lising February 12th, 2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1485144)
hi guys,

But Noel, with all due respect please don't tell me that prewedding film is only boy meet girl, fell in love, got engaged and that's it..

that's like telling me that all we do in prewedding film is based on template... I put a lot of thoughts into each of prewedding film.. and every story is treated differently...

Thanks buddy :)

Santo

Hi Santo, in my opinion its different templates with the same story line =). Anyway lets just agree to disagree. I am glad the other company called you up to apologize.

cheers.

Sean Seah February 12th, 2010 09:46 AM

Nice to hear a good ending... case closed!

Joel Peregrine February 12th, 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1485148)
by the way, I emailed the company and they replied back and apologised.. the admit their mistake.
its all good now and I'm happy :)

That should have been the first step. Making it public is never a good thing. The subject is a good one though. New companies that have yet to cultivate a style always grasp on to a look and feel that drew them into the industry. Their first work inevitably ends up looking like a copy. Given time they will shoot off in their own direction.

FWIW I try really hard not look at other people's work. It clogs my brain. I don't know how else to explain it. Every so often I'll check out a clip that is getting a lot of attention. The next time I go out to shoot I still have that clip in my head and I don't react to people and my surroundings instinctively. Instead I'm thinking about how to get a certain shot I saw or trying to create a mood in-camera rather than letting the event dictate the mood. That sounds like I take myself too seriously, but I think about how individual clips from other videographers affect my shooting and can only imagine how clogged my intuition would be if I went to a convention or a seminar.