Video Display for Showing Potential Clients at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Video Display for Showing Potential Clients

I have the opportunity, in a trendy retail space, to have a small 1' x 1' cube (shelf space Ikea style) for showing our work to potential clients. I wanted to put a small media player of some sort that would show off our work in HD (720p). I would like to accomplish this with a "bang for the buck" approach. Any ideas?
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Major Player

How bout WD live?

I just bought the WD live (you can get the non-network capable one for cheaper) for showing HD content at wedding shows on a 2nd TV while another TV has a Blu-Ray hooked up to it, its AMAZING!

Its so small & lightweight, I have about 6 or so highlight clips (m2t HDV exports, but it will play pretty mch any file you throw at it, the only problem file type i've came accross so far is WMV HD) onto a USB thumb drive, make a playlist, put it on a loop, and viola! The IQ is AWESOME

From what I read its also very good on power consumption

The attatched pic shows my latest setup at wedding shows, big TV in middle is a blu-ray, small tv on left is playing WMV HD file from usb thumb drive via XBOX 360, small TV on left is showing from USB via WD live.

All tvs 1080p (the 2 small ones are actually PC monitors with HDMI, phillips, also really good)

I have to say, the image from the WD live was just as good IF NOT BETTER than the Blu-ray!

Its so good, I bought another one so I dont have to lug the xbox as well.

Hope that helps

James

edit: the pic was taken from my mobile, so not the best
Attached Thumbnails
Video Display for Showing Potential Clients-sworx-wedding-show.jpg  

Last edited by James Strange; February 18th, 2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: pic info
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the quick info James. That's good to know and I have been looking at this but my only concern is the 1 foot by 1 foot cube. Also, where am I getting a decently priced 12 inch monitor for this setup? That's why I am thinking something along the lines of a personal DVD player but one that plays .mov files.
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Trustee

How about mounting a couple of video ipods in there, so it looks like they're floating, each playing a different highlight clip!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Major Player

ah yeah, 1 foot cube, not alot of space.

I suppose your best bet would be a portable DVD player, or a digital photo frame that plays video files. But i'm guessing the portable DVD player would be your best option.

I have a digital photo frame that plays videos, not tried it yet though.
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Major Player

I have an HP Dreamscreen 100, which is the perfect size although it's not HD. If you do a good job of converting the file tho, it looks really good on the screen, and plays in a loop for as long as you want. It's not battery powered, so you'd need power for it - but it really does do a great job. I converted the file so that it plays letterboxed 16x9 - and even tho it's SD video it still looks really good on the dreamscreen.

Good luck - let us know what you go with!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Bill,

what settings do you use to make the most compliant video file for the dreamscreen?

James
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Major Player

I suppose this new 'ipad' thingy would be an expensive thing to just leave lying in a cube for anyone to 'walk away with'
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey James,

It has to be an mp4 extension, and has to be 720x480 and it is set up to letterbox the HD source.

Here are the specs of the Compressor custom setting I created:

Description: for the HP Dreamscreen from HD source
File Extension: mp4
Estimated size: 1.02 GB/hour of source
Audio Encoder
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 720
Height: 480
Pixel aspect ratio: NTSC CCIR 601/DV
Crop: None
Padding: Preserve source aspect ratio
(L: 0, T: 60, R: 0, B: 60)
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Off
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 75
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Key frame interval: 24
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Average data rate: 2.048 (Mbps)
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
How about mounting a couple of video ipods in there, so it looks like they're floating, each playing a different highlight clip!
I'm not sure that's the best bang for the buck considering they would cost almost $450 for tiny screens.

Bill - It's good to talk with you on here. Thanks for the recommendation on the Dreamscreen. I didn't know about it but looks like the way to go for small SD.

James - I would love an excuse to buy an iPad but it would have to stay in my hands.

I imagine there is some creative way to do this HD that some dude out there has been dying to share. If you're that guy then speak up :)
Old February 19th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Jon,

Great to see you here as well! It's funny that I know we've been crossing paths now for a while, but we've still never met. I love your and Kelsey's work. If you ever need a hand or anything, please give me a shout! :)

Bill
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #12
Major Player

Jonathan you may want to look in to some of the digital photo frame since some of them can play video file with a speaker at the back. The media will store on a SD card and can play in loop on the digital photo frame. It very easy to manage as well. When you got new video, just update the content in SD card. the size can go from 9 to 12 inch.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Major Player

Good idea SiuChung. Have you personally played an HD video through one? I would be interested in finding one with a good quality picture.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #14
Major Player

I had one digital photo frame, but it is a old model, only play SD video. Anyway, go to your location store and check out the new model, there should be some HD version.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM   #15
Major Player

I have not personally found a digital video photo frame that plays HD clips that are created from an editor. The only one I found that plays any HD clips at all was Kodak, and they only play videos that are created by cameras - not edited video. (As much as I wanted to disagree with them and believe that I could somehow create a file that would work, I was never successful, and I tried many different codecs and compression techniques). Finally I spoke to someone at Kodak who confirmed that it was only meant to accept non-edited clips straight from cameras.

You *might* be able to somehow work around this, but I couldn't, and I've done lots of file conversions in my day. As for other picture frames that play HD, I'm sure there will be some soon that can take HD clips. In the meantime, the HP Dreamscreen is a really acceptable solution - the SD looks really great on the small screen and plays really well. I letterbox the HD content and it looks great.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques