DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Has BluRay helped your business? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/475068-has-bluray-helped-your-business.html)

Kelly Langerak March 22nd, 2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1503319)
Hey Steve, that's true about criagslist bride (it's a new term for me.. hehe).. that was the part I haven't factored in.

Glad you like the light. Have you tried the Condenser Lens trick? It's very useful for me espeically in wedding reception =)

Taky

What kind of light is this and what's the Condenser Lens trick?

Taky Cheung March 22nd, 2010 11:19 AM

Paul, I think it might be cheaper to store your files in external HDD. For example, you can get a 1TB drive for $100. That's $0.097 per GB. Say like a blank BD is $5. That's $0.2 per GB. You can use the HDD dock or tray-less system for fast access.

Trayless Removable Harddrive System | L.A. Color Blog

Taky Cheung March 22nd, 2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak (Post 1503553)
What kind of light is this and what's the Condenser Lens trick?

That's the Comer 1800 light. You can read more here

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-m...ed-lights.html
Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Shop

The condenser lens trick helps shooting in dim room while zooming in.
Comer Lights Condenser Trick | L.A. Color Blog

Cody Dulock March 22nd, 2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 1503050)
Just a few thoughts ...

First, one of the top studios in the world doesn't offer Blu-Ray to their clients. Couples paying $15k, $20k and even $30k are not given the option for BR. So no one should think that they HAVE to offer BR. Obviously you don't.

Second, we do offer an "HD Upgrade". It can be either BR or HD-file type delivery. In our market, though, there has been very little interest in it. So far we've only had one couple upgrade. I wouldn't say at this point that offering the option of BR has helped our business, but it hasn't hurt it either.

Lastly, make sure you adjust your pricing. In our case, we charge extra for the upgrade. If you're including BR standard, then make sure you've increased your package pricing to reflect that. Too many studios out there add new equipment, software and other capabilities all the time and just keep their pricing the same. They think that it's a huge advantage to just include something new so they have something over their competition.

The problem with this approach is that you're dragging down the value of what you do in your market. So if you're going to just include BR in all of your packages, increase your pricing. Don't sell yourself short. Make sure you're actually getting a return on your investments in your business.

Thank you for chiming in Travis.

Travis Cossel March 22nd, 2010 07:21 PM

No problem, Cody. d;-)

Chad Whelan March 23rd, 2010 10:18 PM

I include Blu-Ray as a standard with my package, not an option. I would say now a days it is hard to find a new client that does not have a blu-ray player in my market. If they do not they certainly almost always have a HD tv. For the price of players now they certainly will go out and buy the player since I am giving them the blu-ray disc. I believe your job as a videographer is to give the client the very best product available that you are capable of. Use the consumer HD and Blu-Ray buzz to your advantage. It works.

Paul Mailath March 23rd, 2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1503585)
Paul, I think it might be cheaper to store your files in external HDD.

you're right but I still like the blu-ray option - I can put the disc, tapes, contracts, corespondence etc in a folder and that's all my source material stored away.