DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Who's going to buy an ipad? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/476095-whos-going-buy-ipad.html)

Tim Harjo April 2nd, 2010 01:32 PM

Who's going to buy an ipad?

It could be great for those of us that do the "starbucks" meetings with potential clients. And I suppose if you got really fancy, you could do your contracts on them too and have them sign right on the screen, and just mail them their copies.

Christopher Figueroa April 2nd, 2010 02:24 PM

I'll go to the Apple Store this week and play with it. I was really hoping it had a webcam, so I think I'll hold out to the iPad 2.0.

Richard Wakefield April 2nd, 2010 02:44 PM

well i might show interest if i can link it up to my 7D and use it as a viewing monitor :)

Buba Kastorski April 2nd, 2010 02:59 PM

as soon as it available!

Alex Khachatryan April 2nd, 2010 04:09 PM

I am totally up to buy the 3G version. As mentioned, it could be a great tool for those location meetings and routine stuff that I usualy do on the run (it is a pain in the butt to write this post from my iPhone right now).

Mike Juhl April 2nd, 2010 08:38 PM

I want one but don't know that need one just yet. It could have some pretty cool uses though as already highlighted. We record some sporting events where we set up a booth and take orders. The iPad would make a great product display, showing off some or our past work, and would eliminate the need to lug a 20" iMac or a laptop and external monitor around.

Jim Snow April 2nd, 2010 09:05 PM

I'm holding out for ipad 2, (not to suggest that it's spec'ed out yet). It's nice to have tools that multitask well. I would love to see a future version equipped to support a video-in data rate that is fast enough to allow it to be used as a monitor for shooting. Unfortunately this is a fringe application for the ipad so it's something we may never see. If it had the equivalent of an Express Card slot that allowed access to the main system bus, third party manufacturers could offer products that could support applications like this. Unfortunately supporting third party products has never been an Apple "thing".

Sean Seah April 2nd, 2010 10:20 PM

i'm gunning for one for the starbucks meetings.. will prob need a pair of headphones though.. wonder how the battery does with videos?? An ext audio booster to power the headphones would be ideal..

Nate Haustein April 3rd, 2010 01:38 AM

I would like one for those client meetings and brainstorming sessions, but also for on-set/on-location work. Seems like a neat little teleprompter/script-reader/continuity checker. Perhaps the business can afford one soonish, it's quite cheap compared to most of the things we purchase on a regular basis. Ahem, Z-finder, ahem...

Aaron Almquist April 3rd, 2010 10:11 PM

I wonder if you could use an eye-fi sd card to upload your footage from your DLSR to the Ipad. This would be pretty cool. I'm looking into it now to see if its possible

Louis Maddalena April 4th, 2010 12:49 AM

I would love to use it for meetings, sales, and contracts. Show the client the video on the ipad, take a deposit via credit card, and then with their fingertip they sign the contract... If those things can be done on the iPad then I will be purchasing one this year.

Peter Mykusz April 6th, 2010 06:20 PM

Lack of Flash Player support

I will buy one when Apple incorporates Flash Player support. Most of the videos on the Web are Flash based so it's a shame that the iPad does not play them. This is a major flaw in an otherwise amazing product.
Can Apple force everyone to change to their video player with HTML5?
Maybe the Apple fans will but not everyone else.

Ryan ONeil April 6th, 2010 10:44 PM

Anyone looking into the HP slate as an alternate?

I used to be a mac fanboy until they released the iPad. Way undercut my expectations. When they make the app store optional, give it a regular OS and USB, and put a camera on it, I'll buy.

John Stakes April 6th, 2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Mykusz (Post 1510760)
I will buy one when Apple incorporates Flash Player support. Most of the videos on the Web are Flash based...

Well Youtube has had iPhone support for a while now, and Vimeo plays 100% on the iPad just like on a desktop.

JS

Steven Pustay April 7th, 2010 02:56 PM

I already bought one. I love it! I will be using it for client meetings ... I already have my sample videos and candid slideshows loaded.

The other way that I intend to put it to use is at wedding shows. Often at shows I,ll be talking with a bride, will have a few others looking at the widescreen monitor, checking out packaging, etc. Then while I'm engaged, a potential customer may decide to move on.

I plan to hand it to the group waiting ... Playing with the photos ... Swiping to play videos ... It,s addictive! I know it will keep them standing by until I can say a proper hello ... Either that or they'll walk away with my Ipad. wouldn't that be something?

Steve Pustay
Horizon Video