DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Anyone Only Producing Highlights? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/478024-anyone-only-producing-highlights.html)

Tony Spring May 2nd, 2010 10:48 PM

Anyone Only Producing Highlights?

We're considering taking this approach. We'd shoot with DSLRs and produce a one song highlights video of the day but also provide DVDs of all the raw footage too. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this?

Adam Haro May 2nd, 2010 11:41 PM

There are a couple competitors in our area doing this. I've seen their demos on their websites, the work is good, they produce very nice highlights. I've met with a handful of couples that also looked at these other companies and they've said they liked the highlights but they also want the full ceremony and reception events. It makes it an easy sell when the highlights we produce are of similar quality but we're also giving them the full ceremony and reception events.

I could see it being an easy sell if it was cheaper just for the highlights but I wouldn't want to do it because you're doing the same amount of work shooting.

Logan McMillan May 3rd, 2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Spring (Post 1522510)
We're considering taking this approach. We'd shoot with DSLRs and produce a one song highlights video of the day but also provide DVDs of all the raw footage too. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this?

We're doing a highlights only package - and so far people are loving it.

Check it out: Cinorama Studios | Wedding Videos | New Zealand, Hong Kong, San Diego | Wedding Videos that stand out from the crowd!

Tony Spring May 3rd, 2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Haro (Post 1522514)
I could see it being an easy sell if it was cheaper just for the highlights but I wouldn't want to do it because you're doing the same amount of work shooting.

We would sell it as a cheaper package because although it's the same amount of shooting it's much less editing. They would get the ceremony and speeches etc in full too although it would be raw unedited footage.

Tony Spring May 3rd, 2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan McMillan (Post 1522536)
We're doing a highlights only package - and so far people are loving it.

Check it out: Cinorama Studios | Wedding Videos | New Zealand, Hong Kong, San Diego | Wedding Videos that stand out from the crowd!

Do you mean it's always SDE's though, we're not thinking of producing them, they'd get the highlights video a few weeks after the wedding.

Logan McMillan May 3rd, 2010 03:04 AM

Hey Tony - exactly what we do. Shoot the highlights on the day, edit as we go, screen at the reception, burn onto DVDs & then deliver a usb hard drive and 2 DVDs the morning after.

We shoot all the speeches and put them on the DVD and hard drive as is.

We don't do any additional editing and never see the project again - if they want changes then they have all the source material and project sessions.

Logan McMillan May 3rd, 2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Spring (Post 1522551)
Do you mean it's always SDE's though, we're not thinking of producing them, they'd get the highlights video a few weeks after the wedding.

Yes always SDE's.

Sean Seah May 3rd, 2010 08:12 AM

a lot of folks in Singapore still think documentary. Been trying to change that too. Ooh delivering ONLY SDE would be so sweet.. no pain and they couples get their stuff the same week!

Joel Peregrine May 3rd, 2010 12:56 PM

Hi Tony,

Quote:

We leave it up to the couple. The day is shot in the same way regardless of the way they may choose to have it edited, so the shooting fee is paid upfront. For the wedding day an SDE is an option, and after the wedding they have the choice between unedited footage on DVD's, A 2-3 song Highlights, a full-length Documentary cut or the time-intensive Cinematic shortform edit. Except (obviously) the sde, none of the final-product decisions are made before the wedding.

Kren Barnes May 3rd, 2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Our final DVD consist of each section being highlights with different songs
both preps, ceremony, photoshoot, reception..
we also include a highlight of the whole day posted online to share with their family and friends.

Kren
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com

Kelly Langerak May 3rd, 2010 08:46 PM

I would def offer this due to the fact of less editing if couples actually asked for it.

So you do 2-3 songs for the highlights, plus add the Speeches and Ceremony?

I honestly think doing a Highlights Video takes more work with 2-3 songs than a documentary.

For me once the raw footage is cut down it's an easy process to do a documentary style video and I feel better about giving them that experience in the end.

In the end I think it comes down to budget. I think if a couple wants a super deal then this would be an option.

But not for now.

Tony Spring May 3rd, 2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine (Post 1522743)
Hi Tony,We leave it up to the couple. The day is shot in the same way regardless of the way they may choose to have it edited, so the shooting fee is paid upfront. For the wedding day an SDE is an option, and after the wedding they have the choice between unedited footage on DVD's, A 2-3 song Highlights, a full-length Documentary cut or the time-intensive Cinematic shortform edit. Except (obviously) the sde, none of the final-product decisions are made before the wedding.

Wow you've certainly got all bases covered! Very interesting approach, I didn't realise anyone was being so flexible. I can't see how you shoot exactly the same way though not knowing what final option the couple will choose.

Joel Peregrine May 4th, 2010 12:03 AM

Hi Tony,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Spring (Post 1522974)
Wow you've certainly got all bases covered! Very interesting approach, I didn't realise anyone was being so flexible.

Shooting in a way that makes each editing style an option gives you the chance to offer more than one version of the wedding. And if you save that choice for after the wedding they're more apt to see the importance of holding on to the memories than when their main thought was of the budget before the wedding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Spring (Post 1522974)
I can't see how you shoot exactly the same way though not knowing what final option the couple will choose.

I just shoot the same way I have for 20 years. Not much thought goes into it anymore. Its more instinct. I still have nightmares though that I've shown up at the wrong church or walk in right when the bride is going down the aisle...