DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DP Slider or Glidetrack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/479188-dp-slider-glidetrack.html)

Matt Barwick May 25th, 2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1531026)
Then DPslider came in with the hot chicks parade

Must not forget that 'feature' Santo :)

Brian Press May 27th, 2010 02:13 AM

I would say the DP slider but a loooooooonnnnnnggggg shot.. It is sooo portable and it works great! I sold my GT as soon as I saw some shots from this thing..

I got the DP the day before this, tested it out in my living room and here is what we came up with. I love it. I now have a ball head and plates all over this thing. It's actually pretty sweet to mount it to a light tripod so you can get many angles!!

“e.Session” Megan + Grant / Lake ArrowHead Resort Wedding impressivecreations.com

This is pretty new too.
The Millennium Biltmore, Los Angeles ~ “Festival of Brides” impressivecreations.com

I would not flinch about a DP!

Hope that helps!
Brian

Rochelle Morris May 27th, 2010 07:03 AM

yep well looks like a wishlist item for us...

Travis Cossel May 27th, 2010 11:12 PM

We've been using a Glidetrack for the past 2 years and it does the job. There ARE times that it sticks, but the solution is generally to wipe down the tripod with a cotton cloth before a shot. We also try to always carry the track by the composite ends and never grab the track itself. The oil from your hands will increase your chances of having it stick.

The other issue we've encountered is that if you don't have the weight perfectly center on the sled then you can have issues with sliding because the sled will tilt on the track. This causes the plastic bushings on one side to have more friction than on the other. We've also had some issues with the sled 'rocking' back and forth on the track while sliding.

I'm sure all of that sounds horrible but we've been making the track work for us for many weddings now. Whether or not you should pick up a Glidetrack or a DP or an Atlas depends on what you really want from your slider and what you have to spend. If we were starting over right now and budget was not an issue I think we'd give the DP a try first, although personally I've yet to use one.

Blake Cavett May 29th, 2010 05:33 PM

I have a Glidetrack and have never used the DP Slider... although I think it looks outstanding!

That being said, I love my Glidetrack and never leave on a shoot without it. I have the 3 foot version and rarely do I ever use all 3 feet... maybe two at best, if that.

Yes... it will stick at some points. I don't think it's ever cost me a shot though. You just have to know where it will get sticky and how to fix it.

Price-wise it can't be beat.

The DP Slider COULD be overkill if all you'll primarily be getting are tracking shots.
If you plan on going vertical, than the Slider may be the best choice.

Ram Purad May 30th, 2010 10:46 AM

Here is a highlight clip of a destination wedding in Costa Rica I produced using DP slider. This was my first shoot using DP slider.

If you travel a lot for your shoots, then I would recommend DP slider for its compact form factor (easy to travel with).

I own both glidetrack and dp slider, but lately I find myself leaning more towards dp slider for my shoots.

Michael Clark May 30th, 2010 01:45 PM

I have not tried the DP Slider, but I've begun using the glidetrack and have been thrilled with the results. Others have mentioned slight bumpiness, but with a rubber mallet to the side of the carriage place (while it's still on the track) fixes this instantly. Plus as others have mentioned, using a rubber band to pull the plate along (for smaller cameras) helps to absorb any further bumps. Glidetrack's customer service (response time, ship time, expertise) is amazing. Can't say enough good things about it.

Mark Von Lanken May 30th, 2010 08:59 PM

Put me down as a DP Slider fan. I have both the V720 and V1200. I love the creative possibilities I have with the V series and a ball head. Here are a couple of videos showing why.

EventDV-TV

Mark Von Lanken June 3rd, 2010 10:58 AM

The "von" code that saves $50 on a DP Slider ends Sunday, June 6, so if you are planning on making a DP Slider purchase soon, do it before June 6 to save $50.

Bill Vincent June 3rd, 2010 01:23 PM

Nice stuff, Mark, as always!! I LOVE my DPSlider. Here's a clip from a wedding we shot two weekends ago - notice the very first couple of shots are DPSlider shots!

I'm not using the DPSlider much during the ceremony, but for prep and b-roll stuff it is absolutely beyond compare! I have pimped mine out so I can go from horiz. to vertical very, very quickly, and have two different heads I can use on it as well.

I can't recommend this thing enough. :)

Kren Barnes June 3rd, 2010 03:38 PM

Thanks for all your wonderful input and samples...we are gonna go ahead with the DP slider

Cheers!

Zachary Olson June 4th, 2010 09:08 AM

My vote is for the DP Slider for sure! I used to have an IGUS built slider, but a friend of mine got the DP and let me use it, and I never imagined it could be so smooth compared to the Glidetrack version.

I recently made my own with Redi-Rail Linear Guides which is the same exact thing the DP is made with. I couldn't be any happier with it. I have a 2 foot and a 4 foot and they can do anything I can imagine.

Eric Chan June 4th, 2010 06:11 PM

What about Kessler Pocket Dolly? I am still deciding btw it and DPSlider...

http://www.kesslercrane.com/index.ph...280&Itemid=112

Susanto Widjaja June 5th, 2010 01:28 AM

DP is a lot more light and portable compared to kessler. Kessler's only advantage is the rolling handle but that's about it. if you have a very shaky hand, then might consider the kessler, otherwise, i think dp will be better.

Santo

Christopher Figueroa June 8th, 2010 06:45 AM

Glidetrack

I brought the Glidetrack for a documentary this Spring and was very impressed with it except when it bends on the end. It's 3 feet long and really requires two tripods to keep level.