Wedding Videographer Poll - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Regular Crew

1) Do you use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for various equipment, or do you buy brand new one-time only batteries each new job? Recharge every time. Hate buying batteries every week
2) Do you wear a suit to weddings? Just slacks and a button down shirt. NO JACKET (it's Florida)
3) How many audio devices other than on-board mics (wireless, shotgun, external, etc.) do you use for ceremonies? 3 Pocketrak 2 g's
4) If you were only filming the ceremony, which began at 7:00 PM, how early would you arrive to set up? 4:30PM
5) Do you offer referral bonuses to vendors? Sometimes
6) Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video? Only on the contract
7) What's your favorite piece of equipment that cost under $500? Monopod
8) Does anyone not require a signed contract? Always have both parties sign
9) Have you ever bartered services? Only once. She did my website
10) Do you only film weddings? If not, other than weddings, what do you film the most (commercial, concerts, events, etc.)? Weddings only.
Ian VanCattenburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #17
Major Player

1) Do you use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for various equipment, or do you buy brand new one-time only batteries each new job?

Rechargeable batteries, Eco-friendly

2) Do you wear a suit to weddings?

only wear a suit if the client require

3) How many audio devices other than on-board mics (wireless, shotgun, external, etc.) do you use for ceremonies?

one shotgun mic and a wireless system

4) If you were only filming the ceremony, which began at 7:00 PM, how early would you arrive to set up?

about 6:30 for ceremony only

5) Do you offer referral bonuses to vendors?

not anymore, we want others refer us because they know we will do a good job

6) Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video?

in service agreement, about 4-6 weeks, but not on web site

7) What's your favorite piece of equipment that cost under $500?

My epson R290 printer

8) Does anyone not require a signed contract?

Always

9) Have you ever bartered services?

once a year for my ad on a web site

10) Do you only film weddings? If not, other than weddings, what do you film the most (commercial, concerts, events, etc.)?

Commercial(business profile and real estate)
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
1)

2) The last time I wore a suit to a wedding was last May, my wife and I renewd our vows and she made me :-(
what did she make you Don, the suit?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Naw, she made me wear it! Plus she made me sign a new "contract" for another 40 years! Man these women.
o|o
\--/
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #20
Major Player

1)Rechargables
2) Hell no, business casual..dress shirt (no golf shirts) and dress pants and a killer hat (only after the ceremony though)
3) 3, wireless lapel and 2 MP3 voice recorders
4) 5:00-530 ..so we can have time to relax before people start coming in...
5) Nope but to clients we do...
6) Nope, i tell them once i meet with them
7) Our Amvona continuos lighting kit
8) Everyone has to sign one?
9) Nope, if they like us they'll book us regardless.. plus our family time is more precious than shooting a wedding for a discounted price..
10) Yes..on occasion, we also do birthdays which is always fun !!

KRen
www.verticalvideoworks.ca
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #21
New Boot

1) Rechargeables, but always have alkalines on hand just in case.
2) No. I prefer black or gray dress pants and a blouse.
3) 3 others
4) For ceremony only, we'd arrive between 5:30 and 6:00
5) No
6) No
7) Don't really have one.
8) No
9) No
10) Mostly weddings, but we've done a few promotional videos, concerts and sports video.
Carla Raposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #22
Major Player

1) Do you use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for various equipment, or do you buy brand new one-time only batteries each new job?

none

never, dress pants and a button down short sleeve shirt

3) How many audio devices other than on-board mics (wireless, shotgun, external, etc.) do you use for ceremonies?

one shotgun mic and 2 wireless mics

4) If you were only filming the ceremony, which began at 7:00 PM, how early would you arrive to set up?

5pm is the norm wherever the bride is getting ready

no, something is nice however like gift certificates to dinner every now and again

6) Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video?

yes, 8 weeks

monopod

Always

a few times over the year, I once traded a new clutch on my car to a mechanic for partial payment

10) Do you only film weddings? If not, other than weddings, what do you film the most (commercial, concerts, events, etc.)?

mostly weddings, I do have a few regular big corporate clients as well.
Chad Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:14 PM   #23
Major Player

I'll play.

No rechargeable at a wedding, though I use them at home for pretty much everything.

No. I don't show up in a t-shirt and jeans, but I have to be comfortable enough to allow for a fair bit of movement. A tie and jacket can get in the way when you jump down on the ground for a low angle slider shot.

3 Sennheiser G2s into 3 Zooms. One on groom, one on officiant, one on podium for readings.

I wouldn't shoot a ceremony only, but if I did, I would show up at 5pm because I would need a lot of b-roll to make it work.

No.

No.

Monopod. Get a good one and you can shoot the entire day with it.

Always have a contract.

No.

It's about 70/30 wedding/corporate. Most of my work is actually editing weddings shot by others.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:36 PM   #24
Major Player

New ones only when needed (wireless & digital audio recorder)

Yes

A cam=shotgun ambient, B cam=wirelessL&shotgun ambientR, Digital Audio Recorder on house sound via placement usually or hard wire rarely

6 to 6:30, a rehearsal scoping visit is part of the package.

No

No

Dont really have any favorite and probably have nothing under $500 notable

Thats a crazy question

Yes, once

Product spots, testimonials, a tiny bit of industrial training & documentation. Working on a solar power installation documentary, training video currently, my largest/longest project ever.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:54 PM   #25
Regular Crew

1) Do you use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for various equipment, or do you buy brand new one-time only batteries each new job? NEW BATTS ONLY
2) Do you wear a suit to weddings? SLACKS & JACKET, BUT NO TIE
3) How many audio devices other than on-board mics (wireless, shotgun, external, etc.) do you use for ceremonies? UP TO 3
4) If you were only filming the ceremony, which began at 7:00 PM, how early would you arrive to set up? 6:15 WOULD BE IDEAL
5) Do you offer referral bonuses to vendors? NO
6) Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video? YES
7) What's your favorite piece of equipment that cost under $500? IRIVERS
8) Does anyone not require a signed contract? THAT'S SILLY
9) Have you ever bartered services? NO
10) Do you only film weddings? If not, other than weddings, what do you film the most (commercial, concerts, events, etc.)? JUST WEDDINGS
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:21 AM   #26
Major Player

I did my best to interpret all the answers so far. Some of them were harder to classify. See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wedding Video Poll.pdf (84.1 KB, 287 views)
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM   #27
Regular Crew

A: Rechargeable for mouse/keyboard. New for audio recorder and mic.

A: Not when I am working. 'Smart casual', unless I feel the client would prefer formal attire. Don't like wearing a tie though.

A: 1 H4n

A: 30 mins to 45 mins before.

A: Yes. I am new so haven't got any that way. But I have told a couple of caterers and music bands.

A: No.

A: My H4n.

A: Most of the events within our own community is done without. They just not too much into paper work, verbose contracts, etc. I still try to get them sign mine even if they don't bother reading it. Some just say, "You are right mate. We trust you."

A: Yes. I won't have to pay for live music, hopefully ever....

A: Events. Want to get into music videos as well.
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #28
Regular Crew

re: Wedding Videographer Poll

A: No, I buy good quality new ones each job. Less hassle.

A: Depends on the theme of the wedding. I will wear everything from shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to a suit and tie.

A: None as of yet but, looking at digital recorders as a near future purchase.

A: I hate not being prepared so I will ask how early I can gain access to the facility to set up and test, test, test. For a ceremony, which to me is the most important, I would say 4 - 4:30 on a 7 pm ceremony. It also gives me time to shoot some B-roll.

A: No

A: I talk directly to the spouses and give them a verbal estimation. Never had an issue.

A: I like my Azden wireless mic system purchased from B&H.

A: I don't require a signed contract since I am a small time operator doing this part time. I have never been taken advantage of.

A: Yes, recently I filmed the wedding of two church members that happen to own a landscape company. He is getting ready to to some work to my property.

A: I film a variety of content. I prefer doing smaller projects over huge time consuming jobs. I like doing interviews, documentaries, corporate training etc.
Steve Loeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Answers...

1) One-time 9V and AA batteries
2) Yes, I wear a suit, unless it's going to be a hot, outdoor wedding, then I just wear black pants and a short-sleeve shirt.
3) 2, wireless lav and wireless handheld mic
4) 6:30pm, at least 30mins before
5) No, I refer work to them.
6) Yes, it gives the couple at least a framework for how short or long an edit takes.
7) Bogen/Manfrotto Monopod
8) I even make family sign contracts. Business is business.
9) Sure.
10) Nope, I do it all. Commercials, sports, concerts, news reports. Anything & Everything.
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Sorry I'm so late to this party! Found this thread while searching for something else...

We buy alkalines in bulk and use fresh batteries for each job. The slightly used ones live out their days in my personal mp3 player.

No, black slacks / black long sleeve shirt.

1-2 iRivers (soon to be replaced with Olympus probably), Marantz pmd620, and / Tascam DR-07

6:00 or a tad earlier depending on when guests would be seated and the audio requirements.

5) Do you offer referral bonuses to vendors? No

6) Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video? Not on our website, but in our contract - 4 - 6 months.

7) What's your favorite piece of equipment that cost under $500? PMD620

8) Does anyone not require a signed contract? No

9) Have you ever bartered services? I don't think so.

10) Do you only film weddings? If not, other than weddings, what do you film the most (commercial, concerts, events, etc.)? All of the above
David McKnight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques