DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Un Maned Cam Suggestions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/48017-un-maned-cam-suggestions.html)

Scott Routt July 20th, 2005 07:49 AM

Un Maned Cam Suggestions?

Any suggestions for an unmanned 2nd camcorder? I want to shoot with a GL1 and would like something to sit up by the alter (if permissable). I've heard of people having problems with some brand/models where the pictures from one cam appears out of wack when compared to the others between cuts. I was hoping to get something in the Three/four hundred dollar range. And here are the kickers.

Firewire or USB connection? I have a Mac with FCP3 and a GL1. So I've been exclusively firewire. I may be wrong (which is why I'm asking), but I don't think I'd be able to use a USB camera to it's potential, as I'd like to use that unmanned cam as a capture source to relieve the GL1 of the burdon. Also, I think my G4 Mac is USB1 and I'm assuming all these USB cameras are made for PCs using USB2.

My first thought would be to mount a Rode Video Mic on the unmanned camera so it would need to have 3.5 mini jack. And if it has that 3.5 jack, I would be able to add a Beachtek to it later.

Any thoughts on a Cam that would fill the bill?

Thanks,
Scott

Steven Davis July 20th, 2005 09:10 AM

Hey Scott,

I have a pair of these, http://shopping.com/xPO-PV_GS150 So far I've been very happy with them. Obviously it's not a Canon Gl2, but I use them for my side cams and have really enjoyed them. They are small too, very, they pretty much fit in one hand easily. They have a big lcd which is nice. So that's my opinion, I bought twins because even though they don't match my Gl2 look, atleast they would match each other on the sides.

And as for the unmanned part, I've learned that if I can't control the camera in the front, I make sure and place my party standing positions where I get a good shot, and I typically focus my side cameras to catch the bride/groom and the wedding party lines if possible. I've hidden cameras in flowers before too.

Scott Routt July 20th, 2005 10:11 AM

Thanks Steven

PV-GS150. Thanks for the suggestion. Its more than what I wanted to pay, but it sounds really good for the price! I didn't know a 3CCD could be had for less than $700. That's really exciting.
-Scott

Eric Holloway July 20th, 2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Hey Scott,

I have a pair of these, http://shopping.com/xPO-PV_GS150

No firewire port? Do you just caputre the video via analog outs?

Eric

Scott Routt July 20th, 2005 11:36 AM

firewire

Hey Eric,
No, I'm all firewire and I love it. Its just that I'm a little behind on my cameras having bought the GL1 five years ago. Firewire was exclusive then and Mac was the only editing game in town. It seems like a lot of consumer cameras are geared toward PCs now using USB. Heck, maybe they're all like that PV that Eric mentioned and have both ports. But the question still kind of remains out of curiosity. Can a Mac G4 capture footage direct from a USB camera? Obviously I could connect a USB camera via S Video and RCA to my Sony converter which has a firewire port that goes to the Mac. So it wouldn't be an unsolvable problem, but firewire device control is nice.

Eric Holloway July 20th, 2005 01:05 PM

Hey Scott,

I'm not sure if i was specific enough in my question. Does that camera you mentioned (PV GS150) have a firewire port on it?

I have an xl1s, a gl2, and I might want to get that PV GS150 since Its inexpensive and would probably make an awesome 3rd camera for the price. I'm sure I'll have to play with the footage in post to match it to my other cameras but for around $600 for a 3ccd doesn't sound bad to me at all... I may not use all the footage from that cam, but it would be nice as a backup cam rolling to catch the B&G walking out of the church since i'm never really back there.

Eric

Scott Routt July 20th, 2005 01:27 PM

PV-GS150 Firewired

Hey Eric,
Hey Eric,
This is some of the specs I saw on the PV-GS150

# Still Picture: JPEG 1760 x 1320 2.3MEGA 1280 x 960 640 x 480
# Built-in SD Slot (SD/MMC)
# DPOF Max.: 99 stills
# S-Video Out
# Mini DV In/Out IEEE1394 In/Out
# USB Port 2.0 High Speed (mini B)
# Analog In/Out: Out only
# Microphone (stereo mini)

Complete spec page at etronics

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=panpvgs150

Price: $579.00

I hear what you say about tweaking the picture in production. I've never tried that. I have FCP3. Can you give me a hint. I'm more of a photoshop person and I envision tweaking colors on an image (frame). So you're saying a video editing program can change the color on an entire clip before adding the clip to a sequence?
Thanks,
Scott

Steven Davis July 20th, 2005 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=Eric Holloway]Hey Scott,

I'm not sure if i was specific enough in my question. Does that camera you mentioned (PV GS150) have a firewire port on it?

What Scott said, yes, it does have firewire port.

Eric Holloway July 20th, 2005 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Routt
So you're saying a video editing program can change the color on an entire clip before adding the clip to a sequence?

You can change the color, levels (brightness/contrast/etc.), and most anything else you want once your footage is ON the timeline of your editing program.

It can be a pain to get them to all match up but my xl1s and my gl2 seem to match up pretty easily. The main thing is to sit them side by side in the church or filming location and try to adjust the settings to get them as close as possible BEFORE you start shooting. This will save you much time in post (editing).

Most people would recommend you use an external monitor to calibrate all 2 or 3 cameras at the filming location (I don't just because it takes too much time when you're already under pressure to set everything up) but I would like to so I will have to recommend you do what you have time to do.

Eric

Dan Shallenberger July 22nd, 2005 08:13 AM

Now, I could be wrong, but I thought the USB ports on camcorders were exclusively to download photos, not video.

Are some cameras using USB2 for video now?

Dan

Scott Routt July 22nd, 2005 11:03 AM

Usb

Hey Dan, that was my bad about USB. I probably read some poorly written review on a cheap camera that mentioned USB and disregarded Fire Wire. I went back and looked at cnet and I can't find one without firewire in the specs. However, it has to be on the horizon.
Sorry

A.J. Briones July 22nd, 2005 01:25 PM

from scott rout's post above, it does have firewire.

IEEE1394 is firewire.

Leonardo Silva Jr. July 24th, 2005 03:57 AM

gs 150 has firewire port for input and output but i believe there's only one connector for in and out...have to check that out.

anyone wanted to consider gs250 for a backup camera?