DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Vortex Interview Lighting DVD and B&H (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/480400-vortex-interview-lighting-dvd-b-h.html)

Ian Campbell June 14th, 2010 08:42 PM

Vortex Interview Lighting DVD and B&H

Hello,

First, an open letter of thanks to B&H in NY - an especially big thank you to Allison in their lighting dept. who helped put together a great interview lighting kit! The store and the sales assistance were top-notch!

I bought the Vortex DVD "How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" some time ago and finally got around to building the kit that is recommended in this great instructional video. If anyone here needs a basic kit, for shooting interviews, that WORKS, you might want to check out the Vortex DVD. Until now, I've shot most of my interviews with natural light - or by using bits and pieces from old kits. Not good. The Vortex DVD provides a list of the essentials that come to "less than $1,500.00. The best part is that the DVD helps shows you how to avoid the pitfalls of buying expensive lighting kits (sold as packages), since there are likely things you end up paying for that may never get used. I was able to put together a great kit with all the essentials for a very affordable price.

If anyone from B&H reads these forums, I would suggest (if possible) that they put together a package for those looking to get all the "bits & pieces" as suggested by Doug Jensen in his DVD. Just a thought, since the Vortex DVD offers a nicely thought out and affordable way to shoot a great looking interviews using carefully selected lighting gear.

Ian

Renton Maclachlan June 15th, 2010 03:12 AM

I have that DVD and it is great, excellent - though a bit pricey - and have highly recommended it to others. I have done much as you, and now have virtually the whole kit only I made up my own key light system to take the softbox, and egg crate. It's taken me a couple of years to get all the bits, the last piece being a reflector holder to go on a light stand.

I normally use it all in my 'studio' to get really good lighting for the stuff I do, but recently did a number of interviews where I put what I had learnt from it into practice - even using a cucalorus. I've found that periodically I watch it again so as to remind myself of some aspect of the craft. Some videos you wouldn't want to watch again but I've watched this one about five times, and could easily do so again.

Top marks to Vortex...

Henry Posner June 15th, 2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Campbell (Post 1538509)
First, an open letter of thanks to B&H in NY - an especially big thank you to Allison in their lighting dept. who helped put together a great interview lighting kit! The store and the sales assistance were top-notch!

Thank you. Very gratifying and much appreciated.

Quote:

If anyone from B&H reads these forums, I would suggest (if possible) that they put together a package for those looking to get all the "bits & pieces" as suggested by Doug Jensen in his DVD. Just a thought, since the Vortex DVD offers a nicely thought out and affordable way to shoot a great looking interviews using carefully selected lighting gear.
Thanks for the suggestion which I will share with our buyer. Can't promise, but we can try.